HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
No. Oracle is trying to purchase the plot of land outlined here.
I used to live in the apartments directly next to this land in the photo shown. As this land had absolutely no use to the public and it was often overgrown, I think that Oracle building something here will look great. Their buildings and landscaping have really made the area look great in the areas they've already built.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk View Post
I used to live in the apartments directly next to this land in the photo shown. As this land had absolutely no use to the public and it was often overgrown, I think that Oracle building something here will look great. Their buildings and landscaping have really made the area look great in the areas they've already built.
Agree. I've always wondered why the city kept that land and didn't cash out on it for such an underused lot. Besides the mechanical building/fuel pump, they seem to use the wooded area as overflow storage.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 2:19 PM

I'm also curious about the land directly behind (South) Oracle's existing campus. Anyone know who owns it and if there are plans for it?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 2:39 PM
PrimaPix Visuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk View Post
I'm also curious about the land directly behind (South) Oracle's existing campus. Anyone know who owns it and if there are plans for it?
I've heard from a few sources that Oracle owns it and plans to develop it as apartments for employees. I am not 100% sure if this is true though. I know they acquired the Azul Apartments or struck a deal with the management company for employee housing.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 2:51 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
I've heard from a few sources that Oracle owns it and plans to develop it as apartments for employees. I am not 100% sure if this is true though. I know they acquired the Azul Apartments or struck a deal with the management company for employee housing.
I recall hearing about the apartment plan either on here or in some news story.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enghum View Post
I'll be voting no on the park land sale.

On either side of the proposed purchase land there is the Bolm District park that has no plan and the John Treviño Jr. Metropolitan Park that has a master plan but no funds to build it out. Both of these parks have access to the Colorado river. There is only a single small residential neighborhood within a mile and a half of the land being purchased in any direction.

Parks and Recreation hasn't given any indication where the replacement maintenance facility will go. The proposed purchased land lies completely within the floodplain so it can't go there and there really isn't anything you can build on that land other than recreation. That means we'll be sacrificing some parkland in some other convenient location in the city for a replacement maintenance facility or purchasing land.

One of the benefits if this does go through would be a trail connecting the Walnut Creek Trail all the way up to MLK through John Treviño Jr. Metropolitan Park. There are other areas of privately owned flood plain land that our urban trail passes through. I don't see why we would need to purchase the entire piece of land if that's the case.

The land also hasn't appreciated as much as it could. Once the area finishes its build out in 5 - 10 years the land will only increase in value. Or its value of additional parkland in the middle of a dense urban environment will be recognized.
I don't get this mentality at all. There is a long term plan to make the Butler hike and bike trail from Red Bud Island all the way to John Trevino park. This land swap to get the raceway waterfrontage is a puzzle piece in that plan. The plan may take 10, 20, 30 years or longer but this is the opportunity to piece the thing together. Let's do it!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 1:07 PM

Prop B passed overwhelmingly. So let's see what Oracle's plans are.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 2:58 PM
World Traveler

From the comments (probably):
"Hour CiTee iS saILiNg It's Sole by PracTiCKlY GivIng ParklAnd Away to CorPorAtIons!!!"

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 7:45 PM

Given talk of upzoning the corridor, will Oracle buy the land before or after the upzone? I wouldn't be surprised if 300 or 400 feet is the new limit for much of that area, which would make the land far more valuable.

The land that the Google sail building is on- block 185- was sold for only ~$188/ft in 2011/2012 per the Greenwater Treatment plant. The city - the people - got screwed. By the time construction started, the land was probably worth $1000/ft.

Source: "Developer Trammell Crow purchased Block 185 for about $10.27 million in January, according to the Statesman story, which adds that the company and the city arrived at that amount in a 2012 master development agreement, which also supersedes some of the standard design process with the city."
https://austin.curbed.com/2019/4/2/1...w-design-pelli

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
Given talk of upzoning the corridor, will Oracle buy the land before or after the upzone?
I thought the whole point of Prop B was for the land swap. I didn't think there was any buying or selling taking place.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 11:15 PM

X-posting from the update thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Oracle Buys Out Town Lake Village Condos, With Demolition on Deck

https://austin.towers.net/oracle-buy...ition-on-deck/

Demolition could be on the way for the Town Lake Village condo community after a buyout of its 74 units at 1201 Tinnin Ford Road by new neighbor Oracle Corporation, which after establishing its new headquarters nearby on Lakeshore Drive in 2018 has rapidly expanded its presence with several parcels in the area now under its control.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 6:13 PM

I thought I would bump this thread since Oracle has been in the news.

The HQ move is only a prestige thing about having local Fortune 500 companies. Most of their employees including the C-Suite have always been in California, and there doesn't appear to have been any changes in Austin headcount due to the 2020 HQ move to Austin. Oracle's expansion plans in Austin still seem to be on track with recent (as in this month) updates to their campus PUD update plans for a new office building, hotel, conference center and some employee amenity. Demo of a neighboring condo building was recently completed for these projects. Here's a recent Google earth update showing the Demo next to their current campus:

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 8:27 PM

Thanks for sharing ! That kind of clarified some comments during the press conference that they later reworded

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin