HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:24 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
The butcher shop at Bouchée Boucher is still open. Sweet.
The restaurant will be back open April 1st.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I sometimes shop at the Safeway on Henderson and can't believe how dead that particular location is (or are all Safeways like that now), last time I was there I could count the number of shoppers on one hand!

Safeway ripped off Manitobans for far too long when there wasn't much local competition, now they can't compete!
But Safeway's Superior Service makes it worth paying premium prices!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:42 PM

Quote:
I sometimes shop at the Safeway on Henderson and can't believe how dead that particular location is (or are all Safeways like that now), last time I was there I could count the number of shoppers on one hand!

Safeway ripped off Manitobans for far too long when there wasn't much local competition, now they can't compete!
Safeway in South Osborne is always fairly busy.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
It is... with people buying 4 items at a time. Whenever I've shopped there, people with carts have been a rare sight.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:

My local Safeway is a ghost town as well (Pembina Hwy south of bishop)

Funny how Sobeys bought them out for more locations and less competition so they could increase their prices, yet that move seems to be biting them in the ass.

Seems like Sobeys used to be the middle ground between superstore/walmart and Safeway regarding prices. Now that they synced prices with Safeway, that demographic that used to go to Sobeys for that slightly better quality food has shifted to superstore for cost savings.

Likewise, I have noticed produce quality going way down and feel like Superstore's is better quality since they have greater turnover.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It is... with people buying 4 items at a time. Whenever I've shopped there, people with carts have been a rare sight.
That's true. You rarely see someone with a full cart. It's the corner store now.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 11:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Yeah buying a Kraft peanut butter at Safeway for $15.00 makes more sense than buying it at Costco for $7.00 when they stick it in a bag for you at Safeway!~

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 1:18 AM

Quote:
That's true. You rarely see someone with a full cart. It's the corner store now.
Haha, so of course, what do I see today? A woman and her kid - full cart!

I bought one item.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 3:19 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
That's because it has a close by clientele in Fred Tipping Pl.

Anyways...I read that some here were claiming that Safeway was permanently closing as of this Saturday March 10, 2018.
I was at a Safeway today and that were so there would have been signs up in the store. Nothing at this location.

Last edited by LilZebra; Mar 11, 2018 at 9:03 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:04 AM

Quote:

I always refused to shop there. The price difference was so noticeable I couldn't justify it. Only if I was in Grant Park Mall for something else and needed 1 or 2 things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Yup, definitely worth the 30% more for someone to bag it for you! It's funny I had a friend argue that it's good for old people cuz of parcel pickup... Sobeys will just offer people help that look like they need it, and Superstore will help if you ask. They're humans.

Quote:
Benefit of being the only grocer in the area. Also it's such a nice small one (with small parking lot) it's a lot "easier" to walk over for a few things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That's how most of the world shops though. Go to the local shop every couple days to get the freshest produce, baking, etc. – usually on your walk home... Rather than drive out of your way to a mega-grocer with hoards of people to load up for the apocalypse.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
That's because it has a close by clientele in Fred Tipping Pl.

Anyways...I read that some here were claiming that Safeway was permanently closing as of this Saturday March 10, 2018.
I was at a Safeway today and that were so there would have been signs up in the store. Nothing at this location.
They did a very similar move in Vancouver not too long ago... closed I think 10 Safeway's right before union negotiating and reopened 5 under the FreshCo banner.

I heard awhile back Sobeys was aggressively trying to expand the Freshco chain to compete with the discount grocers (No Frills) which really makes sense… They have already threatened to close the Safeway stores here if there is no agreement by March 17. Very likely they will flip over to Freshco and close the remaining underperforming stores.

Last edited by tvor202; Mar 9, 2018 at 7:48 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:01 PM

^Yeah I have the same feelings. Groceries are expensive – operating high cost Safeway (although it's a bit better since the merger) doesn't make a lot of sense when there's definitely a market for cheaper goods. People can buy specialty goods from specialty stores (or soon Amazon) lol.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 9:42 PM

Something 'Fishy' is happening at the old Teavana at St Vital Centre.

From the leasing map
http://www.cwcanadaassetservices.com...1_20180209.pdf

Fergies Fish and Chips is moving in.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 9:47 PM

I hope they are not being kicked out of the forks

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 6:10 PM

I love people who keep saying tenants are being "kicked out" of The Forks. That hasn't happened once... sometimes lease agreements end and landlords don't want to renew for any number of reasons.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I love people who keep saying tenants are being "kicked out" of The Forks. That hasn't happened once... sometimes lease agreements end and landlords don't want to renew for any number of reasons.
tenants have been kicked out and forced to moved on a few occasions

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 6:31 PM

Some were forced to move because of construction and changes to the layout, which is normal in any mall. People said Human Bean was kicked out and made a big deal of it. They weren't – the lease was up and The Forks said they were wanting a more upscale "modern" coffee shop, gave HB the option to do that, but they didn't want to. TFNP has a policy of not discussing lease agreements publicly, so they never defended the position.

Either way though, Fergie's is one of the busiest places, it won't be "kicked out" – they have been talking about moving them for a few years though. Their cooler is in prime retail location right now, and they've told them it will have to be moved when renos reach that side of the building.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Some were forced to move because of construction and changes to the layout, which is normal in any mall. People said Human Bean was kicked out and made a big deal of it. They weren't – the lease was up and The Forks said they were wanting a more upscale "modern" coffee shop, gave HB the option to do that, but they didn't want to. TFNP has a policy of not discussing lease agreements publicly, so they never defended the position.

Either way though, Fergie's is one of the busiest places, it won't be "kicked out" – they have been talking about moving them for a few years though. Their cooler is in prime retail location right now, and they've told them it will have to be moved when renos reach that side of the building.
do you think the Sri Lanka place will survive the changes? it is probably my favourite.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 7:35 PM
There is always a way

Quote:

They don't get kicked out per se. But according to one of the tenants if you don't fit the mould of their vision they'll triple the rent at the end of a lease effectively forcing you out. Then with the space vacant they move on to other tenants

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
They don't get kicked out per se. But according to one of the tenants if you don't fit the mould of their vision they'll triple the rent at the end of a lease effectively forcing you out. Then with the space vacant they move on to other tenants
Unfortunately one of the previous tenant managers signed lots of places to very friendly long term contracts, so they haven't seen much rent increases over the years. And either way, isn't the whole reason people are talking about The Forks and going there again because its been refreshed both aesthetically and by choice of vendors? If it stays the same forever, why would you keep going back? I for one thing "their vision" seems to be working out pretty well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan