HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 8:20 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Metro Vancouver Transit Discussion II

This thread is a continuation of the previous thread. Please proceed.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 10:37 PM

-snip-

Last edited by madog222; Oct 23, 2023 at 11:01 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 6:59 AM

Reported in a transit discord server, cars 133-134 from the 1991 MK 1 batch has been spotted getting scrapped at ABC Recycling in South Burnaby.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 7:05 AM

It begins, the end of an era. About a decade late but that discussion belongs in the politics thread.

Apparently that pair had been out or service since late 2020 or early 2021.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 5:47 AM

Thank you for your service, "Spirit of Peace River" and "Spirit of Zeballos" 🫡

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2 View Post
Thank you for your service, "Spirit of Peace River" and "Spirit of Zeballos" 🫡
Did those cars actually get "Spirit of" labels? I thought they were limited to the initial order of 118 cars...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 6:17 AM

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 6:22 PM

I posted about the CPTDB in the Canada forum but I haven't gotten anything as of yet. Since it relates to transit, figured I might as well ask here: Is the CPTDB Dead and/or Where Are The Admins/Mods?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 8:10 PM

A complete list of the “Spirit” names: https://barp.ca/bus/bctransit/vancou...ainroster.html

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnhappy View Post
I posted about the CPTDB in the Canada forum but I haven't gotten anything as of yet. Since it relates to transit, figured I might as well ask here: Is the CPTDB Dead and/or Where Are The Admins/Mods?
I'll post on there and ask what's up.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 6:06 AM

Quote:
A complete list of the “Spirit” names: https://barp.ca/bus/bctransit/vancou...ainroster.html
thats cool, thanks for posting it.

i like the idea of them having individual names. shame they didnt keep them.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 9:18 AM

In total shot in regards to the Mark I'd I thought they were going to sell them off to be various thing around the lower mainland like they did in Germany with the original suspended transit system. This is gut wrenching. There should have been public notice and a farewell ceremony.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 9:26 AM

If it were ten years ago, sure, but by now I think most people are glad they're in the scrapyard.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Quote:
Huh. Thanks guys, I must have missed that back in the day. I shot a series of photos capturing all of the cars in 2004, but I guess by that time those cars had been repainted to cover the names.

My favourite was always 042 - "Spirit of Hope". It seemed fitting for the car bearing the answer to the Ultimate Question...

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnhappy View Post
Check your PM here.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 4:12 AM

More details released regarding provincial density rules around transit cenres. From the Daily Hive today:

Quote:
BC government to allow high-rise residential towers up to 20 storeys near all SkyTrain stations, and up to 12 storeys near bus exchanges.
For all SkyTrain stations in Metro Vancouver, municipal governments will be required to allow minimum residential building heights of up to 20 storeys for sites within 200 metres of a station, up to 12 storeys for sites between 201 and 400 metres from a station, and up to eight storeys for sites 401 metres to 800 metres from a station.

Building height is one determinant for the number of new homes that can be built near these transit hubs, but another major factor is the permissible floor area ratio (FAR) density, which is the calculation of the total building floor area size in relation to the amount of land used for the building.

For distances 200 metres or less from a SkyTrain station, the minimum FAR is 5.0 times the size of the lot. For 201 metres to 400 metres, the minimum FAR is 4.0. And for 401 metres to 800 metres, the minimum FAR is 3.0.

The provincial government’s transit-oriented development policies will also be in place for areas near bus exchange in Metro Vancouver. This includes a minimum height of up to 12 storeys and a minimum density of up to 4.0 FAR for sites within 200 metres of a bus exchange, and up to eight storeys and a minimum density of up to 3.0 FAR for sites between 201 metres and 400 metres of a bus exchange.

Similar transit-oriented development policies will also be in place within 400 metres of bus exchanges in the municipalities in the Greater Victoria and the Kelowna areas, and other jurisdictions, but with slightly lower minimum FAR density requirements compared to the stipulations for Metro Vancouver.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 5:32 AM

And

Quote:
In addition to mandating transit-oriented development, the provincial government will require cities to eliminate minimum vehicle parking requirements within these areas, which will help reduce construction costs, speed up construction, reduce emissions, and further increase public transit ridership.
I wonder how this applies to other municipal bylaws like view cones or shadowing?

Last edited by jollyburger; Nov 9, 2023 at 2:33 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I wonder how this applies to other municipal bylaws like view cones or shadowing?
I think if a municipality tried to say "but the shadows prevent us from following provincial legislation and providing housing" they would get smacked down by the province really quickly.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 8:06 PM

(continued from Density thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
1. I love that there will now be a swatch of low- to mid-density housing permitted about four blocks wide on either side of the Skytrain through the inner suburbs and along the Fraser Highway. If all of these lots were built to the Province's max density, that would be serve as an incredible 'spine' of walkable, transit-orientated housing across most of the Metro Vancouver region. And I imagine we will see cities start to form 'ribs' too as they upzone arterials with major bus routes (Willingdon, Knight, 120 Street, KGB, 200 Street, etc.).
Connecting the dots, I'm seeing a future business case for a second RapidBus from Guildford through Newton to Strawberry Hill. Dunbar and Arbutus too once the 41st SkyTrain becomes a thing.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 11:51 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Connecting the dots, I'm seeing a future business case for a second RapidBus from Guildford through Newton to Strawberry Hill. Dunbar and Arbutus too once the 41st SkyTrain becomes a thing.
Yes, Translink's 10-year priorities for fast and frequent transit is a good start for what Metro Vancouver looks like right now, but if more density is allowed on the West Side the north-south bus routes will need some upgrades. Something like the 2 to Dunbar Loop should probably already be running articulated busses between downtown and Broadway given how overcrowded it is, especially in the summer. And that need will only increase as multi-family homes are built on the West Side.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure