HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 6:25 AM

Is Hamilton's growing appeal primarily due to "urbanists"?

Is the growth in Hamilton mainly due to "urbanists" being priced out of gentrified TO neighborhoods and Hamilton is the next logical step, or is it mostly suburban-driven? (i.e. people living in suburban type settings in Hamilton becuase the suburban GTA has filled up/gotten too expensive)?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 6:40 AM

Probably more suburban driven than urbanist gentrification driven I'm guessing?
Maybe a little bit of contribution from international immigration of those with families in the GTA. Growth from inter-provincial migration outside Ontario is probably not as big of a source, I'm guessing.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 6:52 PM

I can give you the perspective of my co-worker's bro. He's from Ottawa but lived in TO for a few years in his 20s while doing the corporate thing.

Then he decided corporate life wasn't for him as he is the creative type and plays in a band with his buddies. His buddies lived in the Hammer in a shared house where they could practice all they wanted without bothering a neighbour that shares a wall. So he moved in with them and liked that he could do whatever he wanted to.

He could technically afford to be in the 'burbs but that lacks authenticity. He wanted to be somewhere affordable that also feels like a city. So Hamilton it was. I guess you could classify him in the urbanist category.

Though he has since gone back to Ottawa due to an aging mother. And he settled down with a girl. And he makes a living walking dogs now!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 7:38 PM

I still occasionally get emails from people who moved to Hamilton because of my old photo tours. They are mainly professionals who need connections to Toronto but want to live in more affordable urban Victorian neighbourhoods. This can work pretty well for those who can work from home, and maybe go into Toronto a couple times a week for meetings.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada