HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 7:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by telyou View Post
Again, i said IMO (in my opinion). You do understand that people can have a different opinion then you.
Of course. Someone's opinion could be that Flint, Michigan is prettier than Paris, I guess...

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 7:48 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

You know people if you want to talk about anything else BESIDES what this discussion is supposed to be about, you might have to consider making a new thread XD

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 9:15 PM

Quote:
I've been to all those cities except Las Vegas. I also lived in Berlin for just under 1 year and it's not what i would call a very vibrant city. The more than 100 cities is generally in Asia and Europe, considering i was born and lived there for 2 decades in Athens, which is far more vibrant then Barcelona, Madrid and Buenos Aires.

Again, i said IMO (in my opinion). You do understand that people can have a different opinion then you.
And btw, other than NY and Orlando i haven't been anywhere in the US, though i have to admit I'm not very fond of any of their cities. Again, IMO.
Yay let's have an argument over vibrancy of city X in country B over city B in country X on a Montreal baseball thread

How "vibrant" (extremely general term) a city happens to be is completely subjective.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Of course. Someone's opinion could be that Flint, Michigan is prettier than Paris, I guess...
If someone is attracted to urban decay (believe it or not there are people out there who love it), then they probably would prefer a Flint over Paris any day

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 12:01 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
If someone is attracted to urban decay (believe it or not there are people out there who love it), then they probably would prefer a Flint over Paris any day
Sure, but does that make it ''prettier'' or ''vibrant''? ''More interesting'', maybe? Or ''more my style''?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 3:50 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
toronto's new self-image, accurate in many ways but not all, is that of a liberal metropolis in the mold of berlin or amsterdam.
Good god man, I almost fell off my chair laughing! You can't be serious, can you? These 3 cities do not belong in the same sentence. You may as well compare Vancouver with Rio and Barcelona. Hilarious!

And your long-winded defense of The Beer Store- one of the most inconvenient, overpriced, restrictive monopolies known to mankind..

Sorry, I have to catch my breath and change my underwear lol!

Oh, the comedy..

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Sure, but does that make it ''prettier'' or ''vibrant''? ''More interesting'', maybe? Or ''more my style''?
In their minds, yes

lol what a bizarre train of thought I am now having

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfanman View Post
Good god man, I almost fell off my chair laughing! You can't be serious, can you? These 3 cities do not belong in the same sentence. You may as well compare Vancouver with Rio and Barcelona. Hilarious!

And your long-winded defense of The Beer Store- one of the most inconvenient, overpriced, restrictive monopolies known to mankind..

Sorry, I have to catch my breath and change my underwear lol!

Oh, the comedy..
Yeah you hate all things Toronto, Toronto is the Flin Flon of the galaxy, Europe is the greatest place on Earth with nothing even comparing, especially Toronto

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 4:56 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
i was making a general call regarding the "european" thing, as i have noticed that montreal's (tired and inaccurate, in my opinion, but whatever) traditional tourist slogan seems to now be causing a stir within online "canadian rivalry" circles, where the new image is of toronto as berlin and montreal as baltimore or whatever.

i don't really know the situation with tv laws either here or in toronto, and should probably not have presumed to comment on a discussion that was pretty solidly in this sphere.
Oh the Berlin thing again.. hehe.. whatever!

I was watching Radio Canada news one evening and they were doing a report on a modern dance show that was opening that weekend. It was a show that featured nudity and the dancers were practicing in the background. Not only were there a plethora of naked breasts in the background but there was this one dancer who, for whatever reason, kept prancing behind the interviewee with his penis flopping about. Now I thought to myself "Hmmm.. would this be aired in Ontario?" My only response- to myself- was that "No, this would never be aired in Ontario or anywhere else in Canada."

The next day, thinking that there would be many complaints registered over breasts and penises being aired on the 6 o'clock news, I combed the requisite sites- Cyberpresse, Le Devoir etc., thinking that there would be some backlash. There was none.

I grew up in Ontario and believe me: there is no possible way that naked breasts and penises could ever appear on the 6 o'clock news without a huge public outcry.

And you can take that to the bank and cash it!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 5:10 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
I get your points but Quebec isn't really 100% Canuck or North American, let's be honest. Quebec is... Québécois.
The Quebecois/Quebeckers feel different from anglo-America, but from a European perspective it's tantamount to splitting hairs. (Mexicans feel different from anglo-America too.) Quebec plays hockey, football, and baseball (the first 2 even originate in Quebec); drive the same cars, work at the same companies, have the same stores, and live in the same subdivisions, condos, etc as other north Americans. Sure some of the older residential building stock is unique, but even that is Quebec building stock, not Euro.

Quebec is one of the oldest/established parts of America and if some place like Missouri diverges from Quebec norms, perhaps its Missouri that's less north American. Quebec is north America. Speaking French doesn't make one Euro. Speaking English doesn't make one Euro. Speaking Spanish doesn't make one Euro.

Anglo-America isn't the template and non-anglo north Americans should stop feeling like they're outsiders on their own continent.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 5:17 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Yeah you hate all things Toronto, Toronto is the Flin Flon of the galaxy, Europe is the greatest place on Earth with nothing even comparing, especially Toronto
Dude, have you ever left Grand Prairie?

Europe is not one homogenous place. Sweden is not the same as Spain, Portugal is not Germany, the U.K. is not similar to Denmark. Like all places in the world, each country has certain aspects that you like and dislike.

My only recommendation to you is to get off the internet long enough to see the world. Maybe then you'll get a perspective, something that's sadly lacking in most of the internet tourists on this site. Then you can come back home and say "Wow! This is what we should do here, why can't we do that?" without sounding like a provincial idiot.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 5:22 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Speak for yourself. Plenty of people (myself included) would like to see major league baseball come to Vancouver.
Most of Canada's best ball players come from the Lower Mainland including Brett Lawrie, the Blue Jays' new recruit. Vancouver is a natural expansion city for MLB. I'm sure Seattle would welcome such a move; so would the Jays.

On August 4, 2011, Lawrie was called up to the Blue Jays. Travis Snider was optioned to Triple-A to make room for Lawrie. He made his debut on August 5 against the Baltimore Orioles. In his first career at-bat, he recorded his first career hit and RBI. He finished 2-4 with 1 RBI and a fielding error. Two games later, he hit his first career home run, a solo shot off of starter Alfredo Simón. -courtesy of Wikipedia

BRETT LAWRIE

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/...rett090720.jpg

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 5:54 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The Quebecois/Quebeckers feel different from anglo-America, but from a European perspective it's tantamount to splitting hairs. (Mexicans feel different from anglo-America too.) Quebec plays hockey, football, and baseball (the first 2 even originate in Quebec); drive the same cars, work at the same companies, have the same stores, and live in the same subdivisions, condos, etc as other north Americans. Sure some of the older residential building stock is unique, but even that is Quebec building stock, not Euro.

Quebec is one of the oldest/established parts of America and if some place like Missouri diverges from Quebec norms, perhaps its Missouri that's less north American. Quebec is north America. Speaking French doesn't make one Euro. Speaking English doesn't make one Euro. Speaking Spanish doesn't make one Euro.

Anglo-America isn't the template and non-anglo north Americans should stop feeling like they're outsiders on their own continent.
What you fail, repeatedly, to understand is that nobody here (in Québec) cares about the so-called European Perspective. Nobody here cares about the Canadian perspective. It's the Québec perspective that people here care about. If certain aspects of Québec culture align themselves with North American culture then fine, we are North American after all. If certain aspects align with European culture then fine, there are some good ideas that emanate from there. In the end, nobody cares where the influence came from, it's the Québec perspective that matters.

Residential stock? Shut up!

People here will do what they do and if they happen to like the CFL then fine, if they like to legally drink alcohol in parks then fine, it has nothing to do with being European or Canadian.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 6:38 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Most of Canada's best ball players come from the Lower Mainland including Brett Lawrie, the Blue Jays' new recruit. Vancouver is a natural expansion city for MLB. I'm sure Seattle would welcome such a move; so would the Jays.

On August 4, 2011, Lawrie was called up to the Blue Jays. Travis Snider was optioned to Triple-A to make room for Lawrie. He made his debut on August 5 against the Baltimore Orioles. In his first career at-bat, he recorded his first career hit and RBI. He finished 2-4 with 1 RBI and a fielding error. Two games later, he hit his first career home run, a solo shot off of starter Alfredo Simón. -courtesy of Wikipedia

BRETT LAWRIE

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/...rett090720.jpg
You know what? Nobody in Québec cares if a guy from B.C. made it with the Jays. Get over it.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 6:47 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Compared to the more than 100 cities i've visited. Hence why i said IMO.

Eh, it's not the largest literary festival in NA. Word on the Street is. And IFOA is still larger then Salon du Livre.

Maybe it had something to do with the fact they had the largest stadium? And the 2 knockout stage games they hosted had an average attendance of 43,000, far from being sold out.
I must respectfully say that you know not what you're talking about. Most of your posts would indicate such. This one is no different.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 7:21 AM
Closed account

Quote:
I've been to all those cities except Las Vegas. I also lived in Berlin for just under 1 year and it's not what i would call a very vibrant city. The more than 100 cities is generally in Asia and Europe, considering i was born and lived there for 2 decades in Athens, which is far more vibrant then Barcelona, Madrid and Buenos Aires.

And btw, other than NY and Orlando i haven't been anywhere in the US, though i have to admit I'm not very fond of any of their cities. Again, IMO.
I've probably been to 1000 cities. I've had lunch in Toledo, a stopover in Bankok, spent a day or so in many other places. Do I know anything about most of those cities? No, I've never spent enough time in them to formulate anything more than a casual observation. IMO, you have to spend at least a week- bare minimum- in a city before you can even begin to say anything halfway knowledgable about it. Three days in Paris? A weekend in Dallas? lol! The only way you can be halfway knowledgable about a city- and be taken seriously as far as your opinions are concerned- are if you've lived and/or worked there or if you've spent a month or two there. Otherwise, you know absolutely nothing.

And visiting as a child is worth less than nothing.

Berlin not vibrant? I'll laugh at that until the end of time! It's one of the few truly 24 hr cities in the world. An absolute blast!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 7:59 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

hab, you can knock off the insults and ad hominem any moment now.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 12:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Another thread gone to hell.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 1:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfanman View Post
Oh the Berlin thing again.. hehe.. whatever!

I was watching Radio Canada news one evening and they were doing a report on a modern dance show that was opening that weekend. It was a show that featured nudity and the dancers were practicing in the background. Not only were there a plethora of naked breasts in the background but there was this one dancer who, for whatever reason, kept prancing behind the interviewee with his penis flopping about. Now I thought to myself "Hmmm.. would this be aired in Ontario?" My only response- to myself- was that "No, this would never be aired in Ontario or anywhere else in Canada."

The next day, thinking that there would be many complaints registered over breasts and penises being aired on the 6 o'clock news, I combed the requisite sites- Cyberpresse, Le Devoir etc., thinking that there would be some backlash. There was none.

I grew up in Ontario and believe me: there is no possible way that naked breasts and penises could ever appear on the 6 o'clock news without a huge public outcry.

And you can take that to the bank and cash it!
Ha ha ha! Best example ever! I've seen stuff like that too!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 1:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Quebec plays hockey, football, and baseball
These days, Quebec tends to play hockey, soccer and football...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada