HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Crystal Island in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Moscow Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 8:14 PM

Lightbulb HOUSTON | SouthPointe | 12+ Towers | 35FL | 2x 30FL | 9x 20FL |

# of towers: 29? From 35 Floors to 8 Floors.
Developer/ Architect:Crosswell Torian

Quote:
One of Swamplot's best tipsters forwards a link to a website featuring lovely renderings of a family of glassy office buildings and blocky parking garages squatting on the former AstroWorld site — along with a rather direct question: "Is this real???"

Well, the Crosswell Torian website is a real website, where the development company proudly presents its AstroWorld tower roundup under the name SouthPointe: "a hundred+ acre, transit-oriented mixed use development." But a brand-new 13.5-million-sq.-ft. project doesn't exactly seem tailor-made for today's cautious real-estate market.

If the SouthPointe design isn't real, though, it's a brilliant parody — down to the ultra-generic name and its not-so-silent extra vowel. It expertly answers this question: How might a bunch of suburban developers — some of them from, say, Conroe — make a complete mockery of Houston's highest profile and best connected redevelopment site?

To be fair, the former AstroWorld site brings with it a number of problems: It has far-too-easy access to Houston's major employment and activity centers by freeway, light-rail line, and even pedestrian bridge. In less deft hands, the development might make it too easy for people to transfer from one transportation method to another. Fortunately, the designers of SouthPointe have avoided that sort of nonsense with their clever plan, clearly modeled after several better-known suburban office parks.

Except this office park appears to be built out of several smaller office parks, each of which is labeled with a separate theme: "institutional/medical," "office/corporate," residential, or "mixed use/urban." A collection of separately themed office parks — on the site of a former theme park. Get it?
Rendering 2007

New Renderings 2009

There's additional info on the site and a video.
http://crosstorian.com/southpointe

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Jul 11, 2013 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 12:49 AM
BANNED

New design......?

From HAIF, sorry for the quality, but you can watch the video on the website.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 2:05 AM
Hopeful Graduate

Now this is exciting, at first I did not think this is real and the economy has went up for the past few days so this really does have a chance.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 6:03 PM

The pictures are pretty and nice, but this development lacks in promoting pedestrian activity. Looking at the plan this looks like a master plan for something similar to the galleria area. From afar it will look cool and have a nice impact on the skyline, but up close you have spread out buildings in a park like setting. The only area that looks to have storefront opportunities are along the main entry. With this being a a huge swath of land, this will be developed over a long period of time. Hopefully those plan will be updated and modified as they go along.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2009, 7:03 PM
Hopeful Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUSTONIAN57 View Post
New design......?

From HAIF, sorry for the quality, but you can watch the video on the website.
That looks like the old design.

Old Posted May 2, 2010, 2:15 AM

From April 14th,

Quote:
Nine CREW members explained what their roles would be in redeveloping AstroWorld into a mixed-use project. Jeanne Bassetti Jullien posed as the developer. Melissa tells us she picked AstroWorld because it demonstrates complications real developers deal with; last week she met with a group wanting to create a mixed-use project there and learned the plans aren’t going anywhere largely because Houston is requiring $18M in improvements before anyone can build.
http://www.bisnow.com/houston_commer...ory.php?p=8038

Old Posted May 2, 2010, 3:12 AM
Ex Houstonian

I thought this died a long time ago and was never really a project but rather some architecture students visionary project.

Old Posted May 2, 2010, 5:38 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Don't like it anyways. The original 2007 rendering was somewhat cool, but the current shows a bland office park. Pass

Old Posted May 2, 2010, 7:11 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Don't like it anyways. The original 2007 rendering was somewhat cool, but the current shows a bland office park. Pass
This is what "bland office parks" look like in Houston? Because to me, it looks like Canary Wharf in London (anything but bland).

If this is bland for Houston, I might have to take a trip across the Sabine one of these days and check it out myself.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2010, 12:07 AM
Houstonian

Updated Proposal now called Epicenter

Repost from the Houston Thread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_T View Post
Epicentre Houston

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 4:34 AM
Hopeful Graduate

I have to say this is a very odd and unique design, I guess I like it because its different and does not look that bad.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 10:49 AM
Red October standing by

this new design's even worse. the 1950s called...

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 5:25 PM
Heavy User

I mean...I guess this far out from a CBD even suburban office parks are better than nothing and, while architecturally interesting, the designs seen thus far don't seem to have much thought put into them when it comes to the pedestrian perspective. That last one especially...just grass lawns?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 5:39 PM

reminds me of SOM's Hudson yards proposal in NYC

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 3:53 AM
Show me the blueprints

Are you people freaking crazy??? This is AMAZING!!! It looks like its from Star Wars. I LOVE IT! You better hope they build this and not 'redesign' it as some neo-traditional crapola.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 12:17 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Phil View Post
I mean...I guess this far out from a CBD even suburban office parks are better than nothing and, while architecturally interesting, the designs seen thus far don't seem to have much thought put into them when it comes to the pedestrian perspective. That last one especially...just grass lawns?
The Astroworld site is certainly a good distance (6-7 miles) from Downtown Houston, but it's very, very near the Texas Medical Center, and pretty much right along the light rail line.

Great plot of land for development, but damn, that last proposal is horrific!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 3:47 PM

Pretty zany. . . I hope they build it. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 5:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

Looks almost futuristic. Wouldn't work in Manhattan the way it is, but I like it. Being away from the center city, it could work.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 8:15 PM
YIMBY co-founder

They show way too many people out walking in the renderings (as usual). If it's a suburban office park to which one commutes by car then there isn't really all that much to do unless you actually go for urban planning and the 2007 proposal came pretty close to that. Add some mixed use and a rail station at the center and you'd have something that's interesting for more than just looking at.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Jul 4, 2010, 6:09 AM

I don't know, if its built like that it will surely become a destination as long as it has street level retail it will be a hit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive