HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 3:12 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...apartment.html

Evergreen planning 330-unit apartment complex in Tempe

Evergreen Real Estate Development has purchased a 5.2-acre site just west of downtown Tempe, and it is planning a 330-unit apartment community.
Phoenix-based Evergreen, in partnership with SudGroup Development, bought the empty plot of land at Lakeside Drive and Rio Salado Parkway from ML Manager for $4.5 million. ML Manager was created as the successor to Mortgages Ltd. following a Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization.
“The site’s proximity to Tempe Town Lake and the Mill Avenue District makes Lakeside and Rio Salado an incredibly desirable location,” said Jason Donkersley, vice president and general counsel who leads Evergreen’s multifamily development division. “We’re delighted to have the opportunity to work with the city of Tempe to deliver an apartment community that provides a remarkable range of amenities and contributes to the social fabric of the area.”
The land for the Class-A project is zoned for buildings up to six stories, but Evergreen officials aren’t yet sure how tall the structures will be. Design plans for the project will be submitted to the city of Tempe this summer. Evergreen anticipates construction will commence in 2012 and leasing will begin in 2013.
Evergreen, which has developed a number of Walgreens stores around the Valley, is seeking other multi-family land acquisition opportunities in Phoenix, Denver and Southern California.
“We’re approaching the current real estate market with a drive to uncover new opportunities,” Donkersley said.
ML Manager was represented by Dave Fogler and Steve Nicoluzakis of Cassidy Turley BRE Commercial in Phoenix. The Evergreen-SudGroup partnership was represented by Michael Lieb of Michael A. Lieb Ltd. in Phoenix.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 9:48 PM
A City's where I'll die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmscaleros View Post
Rendering of the completed Encore Apartments as well as the latest construction progress:

http://www.sofa-connect.org/connecte...?f=3&t=39#p114
That render is nice, I like that, I like that a lot! Makes Tempe look so urban.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmscaleros View Post
Rendering of the completed Encore Apartments as well as the latest construction progress:

http://www.sofa-connect.org/connecte...?f=3&t=39#p114
I'm a bit confused though, the picture of the completed building shows a road next to the structure which intersects Farmer. As the structure stands now, it is not next to any such road. Fifth Street is further to the north, and there is considerable distance between it and the current Encore structure. Does anyone know if there are plans to build another road that will cross the train tracks? Or do we think that this road in the picture might just be an access to parking behind the building?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 4:52 AM
A City's where I'll die

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeSilverFox View Post
I'm a bit confused though, the picture of the completed building shows a road next to the structure which intersects Farmer. As the structure stands now, it is not next to any such road. Fifth Street is further to the north, and there is considerable distance between it and the current Encore structure. Does anyone know if there are plans to build another road that will cross the train tracks? Or do we think that this road in the picture might just be an access to parking behind the building?
I think you are right, it looks more like an entrance to the property's parking.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 8:52 AM

Was on campus Thursday and yesterday a lot of construction going on with solar roof panels and lab renovations. Health Services and ISTB IV is really progressing well. Noticed still that Newman Center hasn't started construction yet on their extension to the Old Chapel and same deal with Manzanita even though they continually announce that they'll be renovating it. Disappointed to see that they're getting rid of the fountains at WP Carey School of Business Dean's Patio for this

Though interesting not of that third building on the left. A hint at this coming soon? http://kpf.com/project.asp?T=3&ID=92

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 5:37 AM

Developers hauling ass on Encore:
http://www.sofa-connect.org/connecte...?f=3&t=39#p122

All four arches are up on Town Lake pedestrian bridge:
http://www.sofa-connect.org/connecte...&start=10#p124

ASU Interdisciplinary Sciences tops out:
http://www.sofa-connect.org/connecte...?f=3&t=47#p125

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 8:45 AM

I was driving on University by ASU the other day and I noticed construction equipment on the University Square property. There was even a couple signs for University Square. I couldn't get a good look at the signs. What is going on there? I thought that project was dead.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempe_Duck View Post
I was driving on University by ASU the other day and I noticed construction equipment on the University Square property. There was even a couple signs for University Square. I couldn't get a good look at the signs. What is going on there? I thought that project was dead.
I only noticed a sign for dust control and that its by Sundt on Myrtle and University when I walked around the area.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 11:07 PM

Article from last July.

Quote:
Another significant sale is the University Square property, a full block on University Drive where 3W Companies won approval for a 300-foot-tall cluster of offices, condos and a hotel. Tuscon-based Sundt Construction paid $10.13 million for the site of slightly more than three acres.

The block was once full of businesses, but 3W tore down all but one low-slung slump block building in preparation for construction. The plans stalled at the front end of the real estate crash.

Sundt plans to demolish the sole building and turn the block into a parking lot, Wakefield-Saenz said.

“Their immediate intent is to clean up the site and reduce some of the visual blight that’s there now,” she said.

Sundt plans to have the parking lot ready when the fall semester begins in August. The company will evaluate development plans as the economy recovers, Wakefield-Saenz said.
http://www.azbex.com/archives/view/d...lakeside_plot/

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
the block was once full of businesses, but 3w tore down all but one low-slung slump block building in preparation for construction. The plans stalled at the front end of the real estate crash.
damn!

Quote:
sundt plans to demolish the sole building and turn the block into a parking lot, wakefield-saenz said.
double damn!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 10:22 AM

Does anyone know if there was ever a plan by ASU for the land on the NW corner of Rural and University? Its where the frat houses are. Besides those it is mostly a big empty area of seemingly random parking lots and green fields. Although i can remember plans for the other large open areas around ASU, I can't remember anything for this site. Its seems perfect for the campus to expand on. Although because of its prime location on the corner there I suppose its possible that ASU wanted to save it for a commercial development or something of that sort?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 11:12 AM
Skyriser

I uploaded that four years ago. Little has come of it since.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 4:05 PM

I heard they were to tear down the houses and make that dorms for Greek Life, but that's been going on for a quite a while.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito714 View Post
I heard they were to tear down the houses and make that dorms for Greek Life, but that's been going on for a quite a while.
I am on the alumni board for a fraternity at ASU and I dealt with the threshold project while I was a member of the chapter. In my opinion nothing will come of the project. ASU will get the land and they won't build this project. The will build dorms, labs, and classrooms, and incorporate Greek Life in a small way.

It was at first a grand plan and I liked it. Now it has become a land grab by the administration.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 7:52 PM

That's a shame considering how Adelphi Commons turned out and its unfavorable reputation it has. If I remember reading correctly the western side probably and the Ceramics Graduate Studio won't be demolished for about another five years unless the funding comes out of nowhere to finalize it. Shame since the frat houses were apparently FLW inspired but looking by the conditions they were kept sure gives off a bad feeling for people going around the area.

I would assume since Bookstore has gone privatized that this could lead to good news for Block 12 since they want to relocate over there. In my opinion though I think it would have been interesting to move the Bookstore to old Borders on Mill and with all the College of Arts galleries and collections in the parking lot in the old Tempe Center to the Brickyard.

So some stuff I saw scaling around the campus today. Ocotillo Hall is being gutted out and will now be called Haciendas at Vista del Sol. Quiznos moving out of the MU and Subway coming in to replace them. Nothing new on the University Square area other than its been cleared out. Besides the pre-existing lot on the northwest side.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempe_Duck View Post
I am on the alumni board for a fraternity at ASU and I dealt with the threshold project while I was a member of the chapter. In my opinion nothing will come of the project. ASU will get the land and they won't build this project. The will build dorms, labs, and classrooms, and incorporate Greek Life in a small way.

It was at first a grand plan and I liked it. Now it has become a land grab by the administration.
In addition it would probably turn out to be mainly oriented for student athelete housing considering the location.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
In addition it would probably turn out to be mainly oriented for student athelete housing considering the location.
What the word on the street is now is that any group can get a "pod." So you could have a Fraternity, next to the astronomy club, next to a sorority, next to FFA, next to the christian club, etc.

It started out as new housing for greeks and then morphed into "hey everybody come live here." Not that I am trying to say Greeks are better but it was their land and houses to begin with.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 6:00 AM

Tempe Land Purchase
A prime piece of real estate located immediately southwest of Sun Devil Stadium has been sold to Core Campus Communities, a Chicago-based firm, for $4.75 million.

The company will build a mixed-use retail and student housing project.

No word on how quickly the project will get on track, but this might be a doable for the new economy.

Link

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxER View Post
Tempe Land Purchase
A prime piece of real estate located immediately southwest of Sun Devil Stadium has been sold to Core Campus Communities, a Chicago-based firm, for $4.75 million.

The company will build a mixed-use retail and student housing project.

No word on how quickly the project will get on track, but this might be a doable for the new economy.

Link
So basically the Armory/Lumina site?

Last edited by MegaBass; Jul 19, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 2:04 AM
Skyriser

^ It's what the article said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest