HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
This is the main reason why Anthony LeBlanc is so set on having a team up and running by 2021. This is why he would be willing for the team to be located in Moncton for the first 1-2 seasons while the stadium is built in Halifax.

I'm sure he would be quite pleased to get 8-10,000 fans out to the games in Moncton while the team is here. I'm sure the goal in Halifax would be at least 20,000 fans per game.
You are right about having a new team in time for the new TV contract, I had forgotten about that, but no one will be happy with crowds of 10k, that's losing big money.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Actual bums in the seats in some ways is secondary to the TV broadcast rights.
The CFL is still heavily driven by gate revenue. I don't know that an increase in the TV contract would be enough to offset poor attendance.

If the team actually does play (I don't believe it will, sadly) it is absolutely crucial that they draw as close to 20K as possible in Moncton.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 9:03 AM

I don't know that consistent crowds of 20k in Moncton is realistic, given the lack of effort at creating a good buzz around the games here.
The last two games had such little marketing that it was quite astounding, and yes to my knowledge the LeBlanc group had little or nothing to do with Game 3. But if past performance is the best indicator of future performance,given their effort at creating "a happening" on Sunday, they won't get much more people in the stadium if they continue holding their games in secret.
Hopefully though, they learned that lesson this month.
Let us be honest, had it been pouring rain on Sunday with a temperature of plus 10C, the stands would have had 5k people in them, if that.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 1:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
The CFL is still heavily driven by gate revenue. I don't know that an increase in the TV contract would be enough to offset poor attendance.

If the team actually does play (I don't believe it will, sadly) it is absolutely crucial that they draw as close to 20K as possible in Moncton.
All very true.

I didn't mean to downplay the importance of gate receipts for the CFL, I just wanted to point out that as far as the league itself is concerned, it's very important to have a 10th team by 2021 in order to maximize their negotiating position for the upcoming contract regarding broadcast rights.

I'm sure Anthony LeBlanc will want to maximize gate revenues as much as possible if the team calls Moncton home for 1-2 years. To do this though, he will need to be smart strategically.

If the Schooners are viewed as a carpetbagger team from Halifax, only calling Moncton home for a year or two because they have to, then it will be very difficult to get the local community to buy into the whole project. Apathy could reign supreme, even though Moncton does have a strong football tradition.

LeBlanc will have to try and give the impression that the Schooners are "Moncton's team" (at least on a temporary basis), or more likely "the Maritimes team, currently based in Moncton", somewhat downplaying the Halifax connection. This will help to get the broader community to buy into the project.

This could be enhanced by developing a relationship with local organizations like the Moncton Minor Football Association and local high school teams. They should be smart about getting sponsorships from local businesses, co-branding and having prizes and give aways. In addition, it would be useful if LeBlanc could be explicit about the long term plans he has in mind regarding any future relationship between the team and the city after he moves the franchise to Halifax. If he were to come out and state that Moncton would be the permanent home of the Schooners training camp, and that the Schooners intend to hold a regular season game in Moncton every year or two, then this could go a long way to building a loyal fan base in the city and getting that initial buy-in by the community that he so desperately needs in order to make the first 1-2 years of the franchise a success if the team is temporarily based in Moncton.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 2:38 PM

Toronto and Montreal have consistently totalled less than 20,000 in average attendance, and these are cities with 3 - 5 million people.
If the Atlantic Schooners can reach anywhere between 16,000 - 18,000 in average, that will be considered a success.
Playing the first season in Moncton has the advantage of starting the team off as a branded "Maritime team". The stadium has to be built near the largest city, that's just simple math. But the team will belong to the Maritimes, and the fans need to buy into that for this to work.
The New England Pats stadium is only 28 miles outside Boston.
The Saskatchewan Roughriders stadium is in Regina.
The Atlantic Schooners stadium will be in Halifax.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 2:56 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
As of today it seems like TSN is under no pressure to increase the amount in the contract. Viewership is down, there are no additional games from expansion, and there's no perceived pressure from other potential bidders for the rights.

Attendance is definitely an issue when the strongest teams in the league devote 30-40% of their operational revenue from it. We don't have financials for any of the sub-20K teams but it's pretty clear they bleed money. I'm not sure a team in Moncton could conceivably turn a profit, long-term or short-term. The teams in this country's biggest cities don't turn a profit.

Halifax is conceivable so long as there's a stadium in place that's large enough with amenities to drive revenue for the team. The issue for LeBlanc is that if he doesn't get a stadium essentially gift-wrapped to him in taxpayer funding then it'll take forever to make back the money he would otherwise have to commit on the stadium itself; and that's under a best case scenario that they sell out every game imaginable.

The economics don't make much sense for a couple of CFL teams right now and I don't think they make much sense for a team in either Moncton or Halifax. The ROI for any owner doesn't line up. Part of this, IMO, is the logistics and finances of the CFL and part of it is just the way that the public perceives gridiron football these days. If I were involved in gridiron in any capacity the recent Luck retirement would have me concerned about the future of the sport.

Quote:
And that would be without private suites.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 2:04 PM

I just dont see in any scenario a maritime team getting 20k people out to the games.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 4:18 AM

Not sure which thread to post this, so I went with the sport thread that kicks another type of ball.

==================
Soccer enthusiasts pushing for pro team in Moncton.
The two men leading the charge believe a Canadian Premier League team could be a reality within two years.

Philip Drost · CBC News · Posted: Sep 03, 2019 9:29 PM AT
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...team-1.5268802
==================

I decided to look into this because I have some interest in watching a good soccer match. 2019 season is the CPL inaugural year. 7 teams across Canada including Halifax Wanderers. Halifax's last two home games on a Mon & Sat night pretty much sold out at 6200 capacity. Tickets are fair, ranging from $23-$47.

Would a Moncton team work? CFL game in Moncton only brings in 10k. CBLC Moncton Magic avr 1200 maybe. Moncton Wildcats avr what, ~4800?

So what would a pro soccer team bring for attendance in MCT? 1500-2000?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
Not sure which thread to post this, so I went with the sport thread that kicks another type of ball.

==================
Soccer enthusiasts pushing for pro team in Moncton.
The two men leading the charge believe a Canadian Premier League team could be a reality within two years.

Philip Drost · CBC News · Posted: Sep 03, 2019 9:29 PM AT
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...team-1.5268802
==================

I decided to look into this because I have some interest in watching a good soccer match. 2019 season is the CPL inaugural year. 7 teams across Canada including Halifax Wanderers. Halifax's last two home games on a Mon & Sat night pretty much sold out at 6200 capacity. Tickets are fair, ranging from $23-$47.

Would a Moncton team work? CFL game in Moncton only brings in 10k. CBLC Moncton Magic avr 1200 maybe. Moncton Wildcats avr what, ~4800?

So what would a pro soccer team bring for attendance in MCT? 1500-2000?
Moncton has had a large influx of immigration from South America & African countries & Mexico that care a great deal about soccer. I personally work with quite a few of these folks who would be pretty excited to have a professional soccer team.

While thats pretty anecdotal I would think with the right marketing team and ticket prices a team could get between 2500-3500. Soccer is a growing sport in the city with the low cost and lack of concern around concussions like hockey and football.

They should follow the Wanderers model by including a jersey in season tickets and have a ton of sponsored merchandise from day 1 to show colours around the city.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 11:18 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton is too small for a CFL team (on a full time basis). I would suspect at a minimum we would need a CMA of 250,000 and a catchment population within one hour of 400,000 to justify a CFL team. Maybe in 50-75 years.........

The CPL is a much more doable project. It's a lower cost league, we would have a natural rivalry with the Halifax Wanderers, the current Medavie Blue Cross Stadium is more than adequate for a franchise, and, as lirette said, the immigrant community in the city is growing.

The current proponents of a Moncton franchise have a lot of enthusiasm but no cash. They will need to find an owner willing to bankroll the team. This is the main limiting factor in the enterprise.

I wish them well...........

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 1:09 PM

I firmly believe CPL will do best in small and mid-sized cities, and will struggle to survive in areas that already have MLS dominating the local soccer scene.

Right now, Halifax, Hamilton and Winnipeg are doing extremely well at the gate, averaging 5500 to 7500 per match, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver Island around 3500, and Toronto down at 2500 (looks more like 1500 most nights).

Because of the low ticket prices, short season and our dead summer sports scene, I think a Moncton club would get around 4,000 a game. We had that much for Women's under-20, and 2x-3x that much for the Women's World Cup, all for games not involving Canada.

Also, I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I was told that there was a local ownership group last year who were very interested, but then opted to step back around the point when the Ottawa USL club decided not to join CPL. Apparently there were concerns at the time about the league's viability. No idea if they're reconsidering.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
Soccer is a growing sport in the city with the low cost and lack of concern around concussions like hockey and football
That's one of the dirty little secrets/myths the feminazis don't like you to hear about, the alarming rate of concussions in female soccer. They target "traditional" male sports like football and hockey to emasculate men but you don't hear the other side of the story.

Sorry to get conspiratorial, but as crazy as it sounds, it's the truth and the story is just starting to come out.

Female Soccer Players Get the Most Concussions in High School Sports
New research shows that head injuries are now more common in girls' soccer than boys' football.
Hollee Actman Becker

There is a growing backlash against these political agendas as you've just seen with trying to take Dave Chappelle down with stuff he's been saying for years but suddenly now is an issue. The general public has had enough.

Anyway if you don't believe me (and I wouldn't believe anyone on the Internet, do your own due diligence). Just thought you should know.

Back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Last edited by elly63; Sep 7, 2019 at 3:16 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 2:56 PM

Quote:
The CPL is a much more doable project. It's a lower cost league, we would have a natural rivalry with the Halifax Wanderers, the current Medavie Blue Cross Stadium is more than adequate for a franchise, and, as lirette said, the immigrant community in the city is growing.

The current proponents of a Moncton franchise have a lot of enthusiasm but no cash. They will need to find an owner willing to bankroll the team. This is the main limiting factor in the enterprise.
I've been playing and following soccer for over 40 years. There used to be the stigma that it was the immigrant game and that one day it would get into the mainstream and be much more popular. Despite many strides forward, I think it is still somewhat the immigrant game. But that doesn't necessarily translate to fans, there are still "auld country" snobs who wouldn't be caught dead at a CPL game. When the local product is seen as desirable, that's a real step forward.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
As of today it seems like TSN is under no pressure to increase the amount in the contract.
But they just did.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 3:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I've been playing and following soccer for over 40 years. There used to be the stigma that it was the immigrant game and that one day it would get into the mainstream and be much more popular. Despite many strides forward, I think it is still somewhat the immigrant game. But that doesn't necessarily translate to fans, there are still "auld country" snobs who wouldn't be caught dead at a CPL game. When the local product is seen as desirable, that's a real step forward.
I dare say you're correct about immigrants continuing to follow their favourite teams in the old country, but if they still want to get their "fix" of live soccer, then the CPL is the best they can hope for.

I stand by my comment that the CPL is a more doable project for greater Moncton. The Schooners will likely preclude any possibility of a Moncton based team for at least a half century. I will certainly never see it.

Soccer has proven that they can get the fans out to the stadium with the recent FIFA tournaments in the city. A stadium already exists, and will require minimal modifications for the CPL (adding more permanent washrooms and some concessions). There will be a rivalry with the Wanderers. I think they could probably get 2500 out for most games, occasionally more for big games.

There are proponents for the team in the city. Apparently there was an interested investor considering bankrolling a founding franchise in the city when the CPL was getting started, but got cold feet over concerns over the viability of the league.

I think the league has proven that it has some stamina and will be here for the long term. Maybe this investor will reconsider........

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:03 PM

Some details on the new CFL-TSN deal that happened over the weekend:
https://torontosun.com/sports/footba...-deal-with-tsn

The interesting bit I find is that it is laden with incentives for ratings and adding a 10th team. It sounds like both parties want it to happen.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 7:59 PM

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 10:44 PM

Gary Drummond, QC, BA'72 - Lifetime Achievement Award

Gary Drummond, Queen’s Counsel-turned-business-leader, has never been one to pursue recognition for his considerable achievements. Gary’s business pedigree, however, is just as impressive as his 18-year commercial and corporate legal career—making him a most deserving recipient of the ACAA Lifetime Achievement Award.

Gary is a founding partner in Direct Energy, created in 1989 during electrical and natural gas deregulation. The timing was right and the business proved to be very successful. He was the President and CEO for Direct Energy Marketing Limited from 1991-2000 and was the lead partner in developing the ethanol plant at Belle Plaine. For the past 15 years, Gary has been a partner in real estate projects in Calgary and Toronto, and is involved in real estate and farming in Saskatchewan. He is a founding partner in the investment group that purchased the Phoenix Coyotes of the National Hockey League, serving as the team’s president for three years. Gary is also a founding partner of the CFL’s upcoming 10th franchise, the Atlantic Schooners.

His interest in sports runs deep. Gary played with the Regina Pat Blues of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League and practiced with the Western Hockey League’s Regina Pats, but his dream of playing in the National Hockey League was not to be. Gary went on to earn a Bachelor of Arts in Economics from the University of Regina in 1971, then pursued a Law degree at the University of Saskatchewan, and credits his time at university with helping him learn the value of relationships.

“I think focusing, prioritizing, and building long-term relationships all started for me in university, and that is reflected in the success I’ve had,” he shares.

Gary’s commitment to education, sport, and people is awe inspiring. He and his wife Audrey host the impressive annual “Hawg-a-Rama” at the family farm where they—along with the help of the friendships they’ve nurtured over the years—have helped raise $1 million for University of Regina athletic teams and $1.5 million for Regina Minor Football.

As a student, Gary says he did not put in as much quality time learning nor retain as much knowledge as he should have. “That said, the degrees gave me the foundation which led to the opportunities I’ve enjoyed. I think university is a fundamental building block to a creative, visionary, and successful career. It’s a much more difficult path without a post-secondary education.”

The ACAA Lifetime Achievement Award recipient feels strongly that, “having a university in a community is integral to creating a well-rounded and progressive environment within which to work and raise a family.”

For Gary's biography, watch for the Fall/Winter issue of Degrees Magazine.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It appears that the 2020 iteration of Touchdown Atlantic will be played in Halifax at SMU.

This is understandable as they are trying to build fan interest in Halifax prior to potentially constructing their new stadium down there, but I wonder if this means that the 2019 Touchdown Atlantic game was the last time that we will have seen CFL football in Moncton.

It could very well be. With temporary seating, the SMU stadium might be able to squeeze in 10-11,000 patrons. If this game is a success (and I see no reason why it wouldn't be), then Anthony LeBlanc may be tempted to start the franchise at SMU while the new stadium is built, rather than temporarily locating the franchise in Moncton.

I see the stars aligning here. I think we have seen the end of CFL football in Moncton.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 10:47 PM

I'm pessimistic about this, but for a whole other set of reasons.
I don't think anyone's going to be happy with "only" 10000 fans. It will really prove nothing, thus the proponents' argument today that, no no, we don't care how much we draw, we just want to have a game in Halifax, blah, blah, blah.
And if they do this venue more than once, and they don't sell out after the novelty wears off after a few games, then the argument against an east coast team is how they can't even draw a mere 10000 fans.
Remember, the league wants a bare minimum 200000 seat facility, so not selling out this comparatively tiny venue on a consistent basis is frought with danger for Mr.LeBlanc and his crew.
I wish them well. I might even go down there for this game or a subsequent one, maybe. But consistently? No. Maybe one a year or fewer, certainly not more.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces