HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 9:16 PM

It's great to see a building without a parking podium building. But, its a shame it is being built on a location like LaSalle St while podiums are being built up and down Wabash and Michigan Ave.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 10:47 PM

Just got an email from Ald. Hopkins:

Quote:
You are invited to attend a community meeting to discuss a proposed development for a 22-story, 12-unit tower-style building at 12 W. Maple St. The proposal includes a restaurant, private dining space, and commercial space. Residential amenities will include an outdoor pool, and indoor & outdoor terraces.

The developers are seeking to establish a Planned Development for the site, which is currently zoned DX-7. Current zoning allows up to 88 units, but the developer envisions a modern luxury aesthetic for the future owners.
22 stories with only 12 units? Sounds very fancy.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 11:48 PM
TL;DR

That 633 S LaSalle building may be a student housing proposal. The single large terrace on every floor has a kind of student lounge feel to it.

It would also explain the lack of parking and the willingness to build on (formerly undesirable) LaSalle St.

Columbia just sold the Lakeside Press dorm containing 343 beds, to be deconverted into only 96 apartments. Those units probably to be replaced somewhere, unless Columbia's enrollment is dropping steeply.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post

Did he state who the developer is?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 9:09 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:

Current building doesn't look old, either, although it could just be a new facade. Will it just be that double-wide lot?
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
Did he state who the developer is?
The guys who built Maple & Ash (Pisor and Lasky) and then sold it bought the current building at 12 W Maple in mid 2017. Could be them..

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 4:43 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:

One simple request:

No LaGrange.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
That 633 S LaSalle building may be a student housing proposal. The single large terrace on every floor has a kind of student lounge feel to it.

It would also explain the lack of parking and the willingness to build on (formerly undesirable) LaSalle St.

Columbia just sold the Lakeside Press dorm containing 343 beds, to be deconverted into only 96 apartments. Those units probably to be replaced somewhere, unless Columbia's enrollment is dropping steeply.
The large building on the books for the Palmer Printing property on Clark will add about 300 student-style units. How many do we need?

I also note that that street has a ton of noise pollution from the Metra Trains that park there running their engines and beeping and clanking away. It really isn't a very desirable location for many reasons.

The parking lot on Clark/Harrison has many troubles. As a close enough resident we went through an objection to the addition of billboards that needed a variance. Part of the owner's rationale was that he needed the extra income to stay afloat, which defied logic. He'd just failed to seal the deal with the developer to buy it from him. Amazing.

I've never been sure who owns the area used for parking on the West side of LaSalle. Hunter parking operates the spaces under the stacks, I've always assumed under a contract with Metra, and I *think the street spaces may also be part of that, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd think that if they could be developed into something other that parking Metra (if they own it) could possibly earn more money for it. Actually, I'd go a bit further. Get rid of all that parking entirely, open it up and turn it into a market. When all the buildings come online I'd think the area could support it.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
One simple request:

No LaGrange.
Crains has a rendering of it. Definitely not LaGrange

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...uxe-condo-plan

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 8:57 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Hey.....that’s nice....small request granted....sometimes it’s the little things....

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 9:01 PM

That's quite a bit taller than I was expecting if that rendering is scaled properly.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
That's quite a bit taller than I was expecting if that rendering is scaled properly.
Especially considering that Viceroy is 17+ floors to the top of it's curtainwall. But luxury residential floors are likely much taller than a hotel. Viceroy has some tall lower floors, but it's typical floor to floor is 9'-8."

Then again, if this building's 13th floor is even with Viceroy's 18th floor (that's roughly 190') or nearly 16' floor to floor!

Also it's unclear from this rendering if this tower also takes out the 19th century row house next to 12 Maple? Do we know who owns that one?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 11:56 PM

This and the viceroy make for some stunning backdrops on the park

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
Especially considering that Viceroy is 17+ floors to the top of it's curtainwall. But luxury residential floors are likely much taller than a hotel. Viceroy has some tall lower floors, but it's typical floor to floor is 9'-8."

Then again, if this building's 13th floor is even with Viceroy's 18th floor (that's roughly 190') or nearly 16' floor to floor!

Also it's unclear from this rendering if this tower also takes out the 19th century row house next to 12 Maple? Do we know who owns that one?
I think it's 12th floor equivalent to the top of Viceroy in the rendering - 200 ft. Which means that if scaled correctly (I have my doubts, but who knows), then this thing would be 16.67 feet per floor and the total height of this building would be somewhere in the 350-370 foot range IF the scaling is correct.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 2:32 PM

I think part of it could be that they didn't quite accurately render viceroy either. They seem to have used a photo where the hotel was still under construction (hence the tower crane) and faked something in. Viceroy's geometry is not modeled accurately which leads me to believe the height could be in question too.

But if you look at the 7th floor terrace on the new tower, if that is a 42" tall glass guardrail, then the ceilings on that terrace must be 13-14'. Maybe we really are looking at something with 16' floor to floor.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 3:54 PM
The City

Who is Lifang? Chinese architect?

I wonder if they will be going after foreign buyers

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 4:29 PM
you know where I'll be

^ No - looks like it’s a company that does renderings....

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 9:56 PM

Posted on Neighbors of West Loop FB page.

You can hear the whining in the post:

West Loop Community Organization is hosting a community meeting on Thursday, January 24 for a proposed 18-story building at 19 N. May, phase II of The Hayden (phase II is currently under construction at the corner of Aberdeen and Washington. The building at 19 N. May had previously been approved at 9-stories.

01/24/19

6:00 P.M.

Catalyst Ranch

656 W. Randolph

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 6:21 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
The large building on the books for the Palmer Printing property on Clark will add about 300 student-style units. How many do we need?
Is that so? I thought that was a CMK project, they aren't really in the student housing game. If they are building studio apartments they will still probably be larger and more expensive than true dorm-style housing.

Quote:
I also note that that street has a ton of noise pollution from the Metra Trains that park there running their engines and beeping and clanking away. It really isn't a very desirable location for many reasons.
Yes, a co-worker of mine lives on the block in a vintage building and I've heard her complaints about the noise. But much of the sound can be blocked out with a higher STC on the windows, at only a modest additional cost.

Quote:
Get rid of all that parking entirely, open it up and turn it into a market. When all the buildings come online I'd think the area could support it.
You have my vote... this would be very London-esque, like Borough Market. Too bad the 1980s era LaSalle St Station has zero character.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 6:33 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Who is Lifang? Chinese architect?

I wonder if they will be going after foreign buyers
Chinese rendering company headquartered in china with offices in NYC and London.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations