HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 3:50 PM

this guy is good from distance only, no question

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
It's actually VE'd buildings that are extra thick.

I would like to see this in person but Solar has a great camera so i'm guessing it looks that squat in person. I've never seen a 500 foot tall building look so short.
From Randolph or Halsted, a couple of blocks to the north or south, it is quite tall and slender. It doesn't look short from any in-person angle I've seen. I'm still holding out hope that the base along Halsted and Madison will turn out better than the south-facing side we've seen so far. Maybe I'm being too optimistic.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 3:19 AM

w.t.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 8:19 PM

I thought this was pretty cool... a video showcasing the BIM model of the concrete structure--
Video Link

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 5:54 PM

6-25-18
Presidential Towers aren't so alone anymore

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Actually that area isnt that great, the walgreens lot, bank, TV station and event the marianos and whole foods are not all that welcoming. Throw in the fact that that section is where everyone is trying to get to 90/94 makes it a auto sewer. Honestly, with all the development in the Fulton area it is only going to get worse. I know everyone on here hates cars and people should take public tran BUT, they exist and a lot more people will be coming into those offices and there really are not that many options from 90/94 in and out of that area.
Building a blank wall on a parking garage is a great way to guarantee it stays that way forever.

But the damage was done when they built interstate freeways right into downtown Chicago.

They do need to get rid of exits and onramps. There should only be one exit and one entrance to 90/94 between the Ohio St spur and the 290 interchange. “Exit for Loop”. That’s it.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
They do need to get rid of exits and onramps. There should only be one exit and one entrance to 90/94 between the Ohio St spur and the 290 interchange. “Exit for Loop”. That’s it.
I respectfully disagree. When I first moved here I thought the highway was an eye soar but it has grown on me. There is something mesmerizing about it. It almost humanizes the city as a place where millions of people live work and play and it all converges downtown. I do agree they could do a better job of beautifying the greens on the sides of the highway though.

On the subject of the building though, did they nix the crown? I've seen zero activity on the roof and assume they would have needed the crane to complete it.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 8:21 PM
1st Ward

^ What about all the ridiculous amount of traffic that single bottleneck will cause? Not to mention that it would literally destroy whichever street that single on/off ramp unloaded to. Look at Ohio/Ontario streets in River North or Congress in the South Loop for reference. This will be much worse. (and will also make those exits worse as well)

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
^ What about all the ridiculous amount of traffic that single bottleneck will cause? Not to mention that it would literally destroy whichever street that single on/off ramp unloaded to. Look at Ohio/Ontario streets in River North or Congress in the South Loop for reference. This will be much worse. (and will also make those exits worse as well)
Completely agree. I use those on/off ramps daily and they are extremely convenient and help traffic flow (albeit very slowly) but rarely is traffic ever halted.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
I don't think 10023 made his comment as a suggestion to alleviate traffic. Some advocate that fewer opportunities for traffic and cars will lead to fewer cars. It's the opposite of some studies, which suggest that that building wider highways incentivizes people to drive more and therefore ends up making traffic worse.

But to keep things on track, I think buildings like 727 W Madison, which create a canyon, will certainly make the highway a bit more visually appealing. Rather than the road hugging the high-rise jungle, almost cutting the rest of the city, it just snakes its way through it like a river.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 8:41 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

When I first came to Chicago as a student in 1995, I lived on the 1000-block of West Madison, in the Olive Branch Mission's halfway house for recovering addicts. There were so many surface parking lots then. There were a few low-rise (~8-story buildings) getting started, but nothing like today. I think this is better than that, but agree that it could have been so much better - so much more pedestrian-friendly. I wish Chicago exerted more pressure on developers to keep the streetscape friendly. We'll be regretting this sort of things for decades. Maybe, if we're lucky, the garage portion might be redeveloped in 30 years. But that might be reliant on some sort of mass transit expansion in the greater downtown area. Which might take 30 years or more, too, despite being something downtown could have used 50 years ago (which they knew and planned for at the time but those plans fell by the wayside).
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 9:09 PM

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 9:53 PM

Put a ribbon on her cuz she's a gift to the west side!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 2:04 AM
Chicago

July 3, 2018

July 6, 2018

Last edited by SolarWind; Jul 9, 2018 at 3:16 AM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Inconvenience drivers to improve the surrounding neighborhood? Sure.

You just end up with one auto sewer instead of lots of them. It would be like the Holland Tunnel entrance in Manhattan. Sure Varick St. is a complete hellhole, but nothing else is.

Dropped pin
near Holland Tunnel, New York, NY 10013, USA
https://goo.gl/maps/65odk8wwVru

You could also vastly reduce the amount of space taken up by the exit at Ohio St by making the ramps tighter. This would require lower vehicle speeds (so what) but could free up at least a couple of city blocks for development and/or new parks. Most of the world’s really major cities have much tighter onramps/offramps near downtown.

This thing is fucking enormous:

Dropped pin
near I-90, Chicago, IL 60642, USA
https://goo.gl/maps/2CSMjG1BxpD2
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 1:10 PM

July 2

July 5

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 6:34 PM

Harry thanks for the amazing updates today on several projects. Great shots!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 4:43 PM
THAT Guy

L1050128 by snoylekimchi, on Flickr

L1050105 by snoylekimchi, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 2:08 AM
Chicago

July 11, 2018

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 2:49 AM

Keep 'em coming. I want a Kennedy canyon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive