HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 1:19 PM
TL;DR

^ It sounds like they may have moved the parking inside based on this article, but maybe that just means they moved it into the property as the rendering depicts. Either way, it takes up street parking since you can't park in front of a block-long driveway, so it's not really a solution to the parking problem in the neighborhood.

http://uptownmessenger.com/2018/06/s...-erato-street/

Also weird to see Sullivan Goulette on drawings for a New Orleans project, they're a fairly minor firm here in Chicago... Safeguard is based in Atlanta/NOLA too, so even weirder.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 2:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ It sounds like they may have moved the parking inside based on this article, but maybe that just means they moved it into the property as the rendering depicts. Either way, it takes up street parking since you can't park in front of a block-long driveway, so it's not really a solution to the parking problem in the neighborhood.

http://uptownmessenger.com/2018/06/s...-erato-street/

Also weird to see Sullivan Goulette on drawings for a New Orleans project, they're a fairly minor firm here in Chicago... Safeguard is based in Atlanta/NOLA too, so even weirder.

its possible safeguard has taken them on to design all their urban storage projects in the US. That said there are a serious amount of new large scale self storage projects being built in NOLA and Jefferson. Last I counted there were about 4 major ones in Metairie under construction and 6 planned in NOLA.. these things arent cheap looking either.

Also it looks like the developers brought the parking into the building like shown as a result of the neighbors asking them to. current street layout doesnt have any curbs so there would be no change from whats there now.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 2:46 PM
-

Elmwood Repositioning

I had mentioned this would be coming a few months ago.. heres whats going on now and first phase planned.

Here are the new stores coming to Elmwood - and the new look that might follow

https://www.nola.com/business/index....expansion.html

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I had mentioned this would be coming a few months ago.. heres whats going on now and first phase planned.

Here are the new stores coming to Elmwood - and the new look that might follow

https://www.nola.com/business/index....expansion.html
This is a massive upgrade from what's there now. Every time I'm over there I think about how much wasted space they have in the form of surface parking. I can't wait to see a master plan with the landscaping and paths they talked about. I still find it funny though that the suburbs are now doing their best to imitate the cities, but hey good urban planning is good urban planning!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 3:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
This is a massive upgrade from what's there now. Every time I'm over there I think about how much wasted space they have in the form of surface parking. I can't wait to see a master plan with the landscaping and paths they talked about. I still find it funny though that the suburbs are now doing their best to imitate the cities, but hey good urban planning is good urban planning!

true but really if you think about it the suburban lifestyle was overall an aberration from how humans have lived for most of our existence.. so its sort of going back to basics in a way

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
true but really if you think about it the suburban lifestyle was overall an aberration from how humans have lived for most of our existence.. so its sort of going back to basics in a way
I agree and this is really the only way to save these retail centers given the population is relatively stagnant. JP needs to step up with more landscaping and putting in crosswalks, maybe even pedestrian bridges over Clearview. A small park would make a huge difference, but I'm not sure where it could go. JP stands to benefit tremendously if this is successful - imagine half a dozen south market type developments going up across the parish.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 5:46 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
I agree and this is really the only way to save these retail centers given the population is relatively stagnant. JP needs to step up with more landscaping and putting in crosswalks, maybe even pedestrian bridges over Clearview. A small park would make a huge difference, but I'm not sure where it could go. JP stands to benefit tremendously if this is successful - imagine half a dozen south market type developments going up across the parish.
They need to focus on areas like this.. almost TOD type developments because its too expensive to do the whole parish but focusing on areas like this will help them attract and retain young people and grow again... a good example of the type of infill developments they can do is something like Santana Row

http://www.santanarow.com/

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 5:49 PM

Quote:
A small park would make a huge difference, but I'm not sure where it could go.
Here’s my fantasy: right now the Lafitte Corridor splits in two at Jefferson Davis Pkwy, and the bike path ends at Palm Street. There’s an old railroad easement that cuts across Hollygrove, then runs parallel to the tracks by Earhart in Metairie, then continues under the Huey Long railroad bridge until you get to the MS River. I would turn all 6 miles of that into a tree-lined bike trail. And where it ends at that big vacant land along the MS River under the bridge, I would turn into a Presidio, like in SF. The whole project would be relatively cheap but greatly transformative for Elmwood, Old Jefferson, and Hollygrove.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 6:00 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Here’s my fantasy: right now the Lafitte Corridor splits in two at Jefferson Davis Pkwy, and the bike path ends at Palm Street. There’s an old railroad easement that cuts across Hollygrove, then runs parallel to the tracks by Earhart in Metairie, then continues under the Huey Long railroad bridge until you get to the MS River. I would turn all 6 miles of that into a tree-lined bike trail. And where it ends at that big vacant land along the MS River under the bridge, I would turn into a Presidio, like in SF. The whole project would be relatively cheap but greatly transformative for Elmwood, Old Jefferson, and Hollygrove.
cross parish greenways that connect to each other isnt a bad idea.. esepcially if you look at places like Bogota who have done a great job at using greenways to bring developmen

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
I like the idea. Aren't most of those rail lines still active though? Although rare, I do see the occasional train on that spur that crosses City Park Ave. A greenway through Elmwood with a connection to the river trail would be a huge asset. Even more awesome if they could build a bridge to connect to the park/Baby Cakes/Performing Arts Center.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 6:17 PM

Quote:
I like the idea. Aren't most of those rail lines still active though? Although rare, I do see the occasional train on that spur that crosses City Park Ave. A greenway through Elmwood with a connection to the river trail would be a huge asset. Even more awesome if they could build a bridge to connect to the park/Baby Cakes/Performing Arts Center.
There’s land between the active rail and existing roads that’s vacant and undeveloped (it was railroads that were ripped out), including the vacant land that runs through Hollygrove. You can see it cut acros the property lines on a map.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 7:17 PM
-

1600 Magazine

Nice infill considering the crap that was there before!

1600 Magazine St·New Construction · Ref Code: WS8W4W
Download (2) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Cornelius Payne
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
5/4/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Construct a 3-story, XXX sq. ft. Y-units multi-family dwelling as per plans.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 2:49 AM
TL;DR

It's nuts to think of Elmwood Center becoming mixed-use. I mean, it'll always be the suburbs but, y'know, baby steps.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 3:12 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It's nuts to think of Elmwood Center becoming mixed-use. I mean, it'll always be the suburbs but, y'know, baby steps.
yes and esplanade is headed that way too.. apartments and i hear some bulldozing of the old parts of the mall and headed towards a lifestyle center

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 3:35 AM
-

The Filmore Theatre New Orleans

Fillmore music venue at Harrah's to open in 2019

https://www.bestofneworleans.com/the...o-open-in-2019

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 4:37 PM

This is kinda off topic, but does anyone know if Nola and Louisiana are making a bid for Apple’s new campus?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 5:42 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee32 View Post
This is kinda off topic, but does anyone know if Nola and Louisiana are making a bid for Apple’s new campus?
possibly, but i find the whole amazon campus 2 and apple campus 2 things to be a little over the top.. id prefer us go after all the other companies that are alwasy looking to expand and theres much less competition for.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 7:24 PM
-

Canopy of Peace / Higgins Hotel

The Higgins Hotel is starting to come into view of the ww2 camera

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 6:05 PM
-

3434 St Charles Ave: Yousef Skaikay, applicant; Springer Family LLC No 2, owner;
Renovate existing fuel facility to include new kitchen hood and equipment, repair
of existing fuel pump canopy, new canopies at main building, and new window
opening in existing masonry wall.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 6:15 PM
-

527 Elysian Fields Ave: Rick A. Fifield, applicant; Khrisos Inc, owner; Renovation of
an existing two-story commercial building to include the restoration of an historic
gallery and a new side gallery at the Chartres Street elevation

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations