HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

India Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Mumbai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 10:08 AM
ॐ शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
MUMBAI | India Tower | 700 M | 125 floors

New 125 floor design by Foster & Partners

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

With official word of this project just announced last week, the 85-storey Hyatt Park Tower, India's tallest under construction building officially broke ground.

Designed by Fox and Fowle (FXFOWLE) architects as part of three-hotel luxury project being developed by Neelkamal Realtors in conjunction with Hyatt hotels, Hyatt Park tower is located at Marine Lines, Mumbai, just north of the city's historical district. It marks the southernmost point of a major region of skyscraper development that currently stretches north to under construction Parel/Back Bay skyline.

A mixed-used development totalling 882,000 sq ft, Hyatt Park tower, in the architects' own words:
Quote:
...centers on creating an iconic residential mixed-use building within India's emerging new economy.

The 85-storey tower is informed by distinctive indoor/outdoor environments and the desire to optimise the panoramic views of the surrounding landscape.

The tower's rotated form emerges in response to the buildings functional requirements and its mixed-use program - which changes with each twist of the structure. This circulation pattern separates retail, 5-star hotel and serviced apartments and long lease duplex penthouse condominium apartments within a sustainable network of green roofs and hanging gardens; creating a singular, extraordinary building that, when completed, will be the tallest and greenest building in India.
Emails to the architect (thanks spyguy) reveals that the tower is currently under construction and will have a height of 301m. Whether this is roof height is not yet clear.

While currently rather seperated from the current skyscraper construction, it is located at the southern end of what will be a massive skyscraper-laden redevelopment region that will see a long skyline anchored in the north at Dharavi, west at Worli, in the middle at Parel, and in the south at Back Bay.

Though developers in Mumbai tend to be ultra-secretive about their projects until they have broken ground (it wasn't even known that this project even existed until a couple days ago when the Hyatt told the Economic Times newspaper about it), other developers have made known that they are planning skyscrapers at Marine Lines. Currently a 50-storey commercial skyscraper, and 2-3 other projects, including the possible supertall Mumbai International Finance Centre, are planned around the location where Park Hyatt tower is being built.

Here are some more renderings. I will update this first post as more renderings and information come out.

^ Looking South towards Historic mumbai. Looking North will be a view of the under construction skyline around Parel

Cheers,
Jai

--=- | Check out The Indian Skyscraper Blog - Chronicling the vertical risE of India... | -=--

Last edited by Jai; Jun 2, 2007 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 11:16 AM
brooklyn~to~cairo

Thanks for the info- I've been wondering when this project would be officially announced!

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 11:47 AM
The True Avatar

The uneven stacked box design is getting old for me. Hopefully it will look better in reality than it does for me in the renderings.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 12:43 PM
Global Citizen

It was about time for India to get its first supertall.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 1:50 PM
BANNED

Awesome tower! It looks like one that Rem Koolhaus designed for Jersey City.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 5:25 PM

I read that Mumbai is having trouble getting enought electricity for the city's rapid growth. How will a new tower, with its large power demands be supplied with enough consistant power?

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 6:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXbubba View Post
I read that Mumbai is having trouble getting enought electricity for the city's rapid growth. How will a new tower, with its large power demands be supplied with enough consistant power?
Nuclear power. Everyone just got all on Bush's case because he decided to break the non-proliferation treaty and signed an agreement with India to help them build like 10 nuclear power plants about a year ago. India will probably be one of the world's largest users of Nuclear power within 20 years.

You are right though, they can't build power capacity fast enough to keep up with demand in India. That's because its becoming one of the world's most powerful economies, just like China, except India is much farther ahead when it comes to democracy and education. Actually India and China's soaring demand for electricity is one of the reasons our electricity and gas prices keep getting higher. Also why our construction materials prices keep getting higher...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 4:51 PM
The Space Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenapolis View Post
The uneven stacked box design is getting old for me. Hopefully it will look better in reality than it does for me in the renderings.
I'll be the first to agree, yet for some reason I really like this design.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 6:03 PM

I like the design.

India has major infrastructure problems that will need to be sorted out if they are going to continue to grow their economy at it's present rate. Power, transportation, water, etc. all need major upgrades. It is going to make an interesting next few decades as the United States, China, India, and the EU are competing for energy resources and raw materials.

-Galileo Galilei

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 4:05 AM
Everywhere all at once

This is a fantastic proposal IMO. It's the first proposal for an Indian city that has universal appeal and not all India'd up, at least the first that I've seen. Also I am impressed that while they are certainly reaching for new heights, they are not unrealistic Burj-Dubai caliber heights. Modesty is what it is.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 3:00 PM
ॐ शान्तिः

Here's another rendering of the tower, and a blurb from AIArchitect Magazine:

Quote:
FXFowle is one such international player. They established a representative office in Dubai about a year ago. Peter Weingarten, AIA, FXFowle’s director of international architecture, says many of his clients are interested in the energy-efficient aspects of high-density vertical development. One such project is FXFowle’s India Tower in Mumbai, which uses a solar chimney to generate electricity, provides on-site wastewater reclamation, and is LEED®-Gold certified. Without the current climate of rampant and volatile high-rise development, the silver 85-story tower would be universally recognized as India’s next tallest building, but now, Weingarten says, not even this visionary project can claim the subcontinent with any great certainty.

Weingarten’s vision of India Tower’s transformative potential is emblematic of developers in many emerging nations. “It will have a much more intangible effect than just another big building, and then it will spur more development around it,” he says. “It becomes a magnet and a center, and if enough of these dots start to get created and they start to become connected into a network, you can really start to see some dramatic changes in the landscape of Mumbai and India.”...
Also helps answer the power generation question

--=- | Check out The Indian Skyscraper Blog - Chronicling the vertical risE of India... | -=--

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 6:19 PM
ॐ शान्तिः

And another

Last edited by Jai; Jun 2, 2007 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 6:20 AM
Lost and Found

I kinda like it, though it looks like someone stacked 4 toy building blocks irregularly and decided to make a full skyscraper out of it.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 8:30 PM

Wow! That'll catch your attention. Good for Mumbai. Love to visit someday.

Question: is Mumbai getting a subway or lightrail ?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 10:22 PM
I love boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Love to visit someday.
Ha ! are u kidding ? Use Oxygen Mask if really want to go ....

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Wow! That'll catch your attention. Good for Mumbai. Love to visit someday.

Question: is Mumbai getting a subway or lightrail ?
There's a metro under construction (I think). I'm fairly sure it's mostly elevated, but someone like Jai or Suncity would be able to tell you more.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 4:19 AM
We can kiss the sky! - MC

I like it, but there are sooo many box towers poping up. I hope this one comes out good, it would look nice as a centerpiece to a skyline.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 5:58 PM
Editor

I don't really like the design of the building that much, but I'm glad to see some more high rises going up in Mumbai. Mumbai is really changing.

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 8:27 PM
ॐ शान्तिः

The design and name of this building has changed. The new name is DB Tower (short for Dynamix-Balwas, the name of the developer consortium.) Several India forum members have contacted architects FXFowle, and confirmed that they are the architects of the new design as well.

Here is the new design:

The tower will have the same height as the former Park Hyatt/India Tower proposal. The tower remains mixed residential and hotel use.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunava View Post
There's a metro under construction (I think). I'm fairly sure it's mostly elevated, but someone like Jai or Suncity would be able to tell you more.
Thanks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects