HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 2:35 PM

Would be great if they went back to get approval for 20 to 30 stories.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 3:34 AM

Haven't seen this angle before

Source : stjosephssquare.com

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 4:25 AM
Dartmouth Girl

^ That looks as though it fits in immensely well in that neighbourhood. I love it.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 1:21 PM

This project should be coming online very soon - the next couple of months. Dexel is going to be wrapping up Horizon Court in the not too distant future & they will be moving on to this very soon.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 5:05 PM

I find this one hard to believe

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post
This project should be coming online very soon - the next couple of months. Dexel is going to be wrapping up Horizon Court in the not too distant future & they will be moving on to this very soon.
I sure hope so. I'm getting awfully sick of that hole in the ground being there.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 5:27 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
Would be great if they went back to get approval for 20 to 30 stories.
Baby steps.... they had originally applied for more height and had it knocked down. As tall buildings move into an area, it will be easier to get slightly taller buildings in the future (I hope).

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 5:30 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I love it when they can superimpose a new proposal into the actual site to see what it will look like.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 7:55 AM

I have a hunch that this project will be underway soon. I have no evidence to prove this but I think they will start excavation this winter looking to get the footings in the Spring when they'll move the Avonhurst crane over.

I'll keep an eye out over the next few weeks on my daily walks to Hydrostone but maybe someone has an "in" with Dexel?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 2:04 PM

As I recall, Dexel was pretty good at replying to emails re other projects.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 11:19 AM

Dexel is looking for approval of some non-substantive amendments for this project. They are looking for an increase in the number of dwelling units (up to 103) while maintaining the density (~299 persons). The residential entrance is being moved to Kaye Street to avoid conflicting with the commercial spaces. The commercial space along Gottingen will now feature the "bookend" approach that is dominant in the Hydrostone area. The Halifax Explosion themed stained glass windows that were salvaged from the church will now be incorporated as an art piece that is distinct from the rest of the building.

Case 19646 Details

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 7:47 PM

The new design looks a bit more cohesive than the previous rendering

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 8:54 PM

still really wish it was taller, it looks so short and boxy on top, needs another 8 floors or so

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 11:01 PM

The alterations are great--this is exactly what I would have done. Remove all the needless curvy bits, recess the balconies to create a better profile, and more harmoniously stagger the building materials at the base. I also like that the glass is reduced at the townhouse/podium level (I always just think that stone and brick facades create a much more substantive and urban feel at street level). The townhouses facades look better too, though a full-colour rendering would be nice to see.

In my books, this went from kinda crappy-looking to kinda great-looking, though it remains to be seen how it pans out in the final form, regarding the cladding and building materials, etc.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 2:08 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It does look a bit cleaner and more modern to me. Perhaps a good example of how you can have better or worse looking buildings at around the same budget.

I'm interested to see what the North End is going to be like with these new midrise buildings. I'm hoping we'll see more and more commercial conversions and sympathetic renovations of heritage buildings to go along with the new stuff. The neighbourhood would be great with a bit more population density. It already has lots of character.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 3:24 AM

I agree, I think this looks great.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
still really wish it was taller, it looks so short and boxy on top, needs another 8 floors or so
May I suggest a name change to 'St Stubby Square'

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
...They are looking for an increase in the number of dwelling units (up to 103) while maintaining the density (~299 persons)....

Case 19646 Details
I'd suggest that with more units within the same volume, density must be increased. The Letter of Submission at the link you provided says "The proposed density of 199 persons remains below the maximum permitted population of 200 persons" (emphasis my own). Which I take to mean that the density is currently below the maximum, and that it was previously below the maximum... the density could have changed while remaining below the maximum allowed for the site.

I have no problem with the increased density - I think it's great, actually. I also like the changes to the massing of the townhouse portion.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 4:29 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I'd suggest that with more units within the same volume, density must be increased.
They may have reduced the size of some of the units, e.g. from 2 bedroom to 1 bedroom.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I'd suggest that with more units within the same volume, density must be increased. The Letter of Submission at the link you provided says "The proposed density of 199 persons remains below the maximum permitted population of 200 persons" (emphasis my own). Which I take to mean that the density is currently below the maximum, and that it was previously below the maximum... the density could have changed while remaining below the maximum allowed for the site.

I have no problem with the increased density - I think it's great, actually. I also like the changes to the massing of the townhouse portion.
You may be correct. What I meant by the not increasing the density is that they are not seeking an increase to the permitted density and instead the new units will be built within the existing density requirements that were approved following public consultation. From reading the report it appears some of the extra units will come from the townhouse-style units. In the reports it is stated that these have been maintained on the exterior but on the interior are now planned to be one level units designed to meet the needs of the elderly demographic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth