HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 5:32 PM

PHILADELPHIA | View II | 220 & 152 FT | 18 & 12 FLOORS

Title: View II
Project: luxury apartments, commercial, retail
Architect: Niles Bolton Associates
Developer: Goldenberg Group
Neighborhood: Templetown
District: North Philadelphia
Floors: 18 & 12
Height: 220 & 152 FT

Quote:
View II is located at 1101-1137 Cecil B. Moore Avenue and is the second phase of student housing near Temple University being developed by the Goldenberg Group. The project will include two mixed-use towers connected by a six-story connector bridge. The project also includes significant site and hardscape work and surface parking. The first tower is the 18-story East Tower consisting of an innovation center on the first two floors with student housing above. The second tower is the 12-story West Tower consisting of retail space on the first two floors, amenity spaces on the third and fourth floors, and student housing above. The six-story connector bridge has a two-story amenity space on the second and third floors with student housing above. The project has a total of 460,328 square feet and 352 student housing units with 874 beds and 528 bathrooms.
http://www.intechconstruction.com/cu...hp?mode=0&id=7

Last edited by summersm343; Feb 24, 2017 at 5:43 AM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Title: View II
Project: luxury apartments, commercial, retail
Architect: Wallace, Roberts & Todd
Developer: Goldenberg Group
Neighborhood: Templetown
District: North Philadelphia
Floors: 18 & 12
Height: 216 & 145 FT

http://www.intechconstruction.com/cu...hp?mode=0&id=7

Looks like a near copy of the Radian Apartments on Penn's campus.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
True but with two towers! The radian does very well and I think this would too.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 5:57 PM

The first View is already complete and I believe fully leased and doing well, hence Goldenberg wanting to move forward with these 2 towers.

http://theviewatmontgomery.com/

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Uhhhhhh, I don't really see that:

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/harpo42/4156400667/

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 7:11 PM

Color of the skin is different, but base / structure are very similar.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 7:41 PM

Quote:
I see what you mean regarding the retail base. Very similar.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I see what you mean regarding the retail base. Very similar.
Sorry, but I still don't see the similarity, except in the broadest of generic terms in that they are both essentially horizontal buildings set on retail pedestals. And it's not just the color of the skin that's different. The configurations and designs of their exteriors are fundamentally different--other than that they both have rows of windows (and even those are significantly different from one building to the other).

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 1:39 AM

Excellent news! This is exactly what the southern section of campus needs. Cecil B. Moore between 11th and 12th is a dead-zone with this huge lot and the parking lot across the street, 12th Street becomes a dead-zone between Montgomery and Cecil B. Moore, and 11th Street is pretty much a dead-zone throughout its entirety passing through campus. This project will enliven all 3 stretches.

I can't wait to watch this project unfold once I get back to campus next week (I'm assuming its starting soon since they were doing soil testing throughout this past semester)!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 1:46 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

I'm not particularly enthused by the overall look of the site plan right now -- the NE building looks like it's just kind of being randomly plopped down.

But then again, I still wish, to this day, that the Wanamaker School had gotten reused. Oh well. Not salty. Not salty at all.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 1:08 PM
BANNED

thats a lot of units- they must be confident in the demand around Temple. I guess it doesn't hurt that Temple really has no plans for additional on campus housing.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 1:40 PM

It's an ugly building but they did the retail on Montgomery really well, you guys think we'll get retail along Cecil? With how south Kensington is developing, the retail can end up serving more than just students

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 1:47 PM

Uhhhhhh, this is now missing from Intech's Current Projects Pre-Construction page:

http://www.intechconstruction.com/cu...enu.php?mode=0

Maybe we (meaning I ) jumped the gun a bit on this one?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 4:37 PM

^^Yeah we definitely got Intech in trouble hahaha. Whoops.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 4:45 PM

Quote:
^^Yeah we definitely got Intech in trouble hahaha. Whoops.
I'm glad you accept joint and several liability with me.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
thats a lot of units- they must be confident in the demand around Temple. I guess it doesn't hurt that Temple really has no plans for additional on campus housing.
Well I committed to Temple later than most and had to wait a few weeks for housing options to open up. Even then, I was relegated to the Edge, which is a mix of on-campus and off-campus housing. Don't know the overall demand level but it seems Temple could stand to add more housing.
I actually think the View looks pretty good for the area (definitely "different"), not to mention it has some good retail options as well. I don't think student housing is ever going to be an architectural gold standard lol.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 7:03 PM

Goldenberg readies for summer groundbreaking on $150M Temple student housing project

Quote:
Goldenberg Group is moving forward with a new $150 million student housing complex at the former site of the John Wanamaker Middle School in North Philadelphia.

It would be a companion tower to the View at Montgomery, which was a $100 million mixed-use development that the Blue Bell-based developer constructed and opened in the fall of 2014. That 14-story, 320,000-square-foot building has 832 beds in 238 residences along with 11,000 square feet of first-floor retail. It caters to Temple University students as will the new tower.

“It’s been 100 percent leased since we opened and it tells me that Temple students were starved for good residential product,” said Kevin Trapper, senior vice president at Goldenberg. “The university continues to grow year after year. We feel bullish about the next phase.”

The new project, referred to as View II at Montgomery, would total 460,000 square feet and have 874 beds spread over 352 fully-furnished apartments. It would have 22,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space.

Trapper said that there were some lessons learned from View I that the developer tweaked when designing View II. For example, Goldenberg incorporated more community spaces – especially study rooms that are large enough for groups to gather and work together. Even with View I, Goldenberg revamped what had been a game room and some other spaces and turned them into study rooms and computer labs. In addition to adding study spaces, more amenities and commercial spaces have also been planned for the second phase.

“The sooner we get to market, the better,” Trapper said. The developer would like to break ground this July and have the project completed by fall 2019.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...ontgomery.html

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 7:35 PM
BANNED

^that actually looks pretty nice. Aside from the building at Broad and Oxford I'm not aware of any other large scale residential developments proposed near Temple.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 7:42 PM

I like the new renderings better. Reminds me a bit of the pre-Aramark plans for 2400 Market.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 10:08 PM

Looks good. I live right down the street from this location at The Edge Student Village and pass by here all the time. Look forward to seeing this get started.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive