HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman61988 View Post
You guys should check out this architects website. He has some pretty amazing renderings of built project and visionary stuff. This idea is probably my favorite... and why not?

That supertall skyscraper looks amazing for the city of San Diego. Looking forward to see this building in San Diego in the future.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 4:44 PM

I emailed David Malmuth of the IDEA Partners and he informed me that they are targeting groundbreaking for IDEA1 in October with completion planned for 20 months later. New renders should be released soon.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 4:53 PM
BANNED

While the super tall is probably an elegant structure, I wouldn't be in favor of it for San Diego.

It would dwarf and minimalize our existing photogenic skyline, especially given the location on the waterfront.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
While the super tall is probably an elegant structure, I wouldn't be in favor of it for San Diego.

It would dwarf and minimalize our existing photogenic skyline, especially given the location on the waterfront.
I disagree, I think it kind of anchors downtown and adds some depth to the skyline. The way we are going now with the height limit, our skyline looks like a low plateau, not very attractive IMO. The problem with the rendering above (other than it being complete fantasy ) is that waterfront developments like lane field etc. aren't reflected in it (I'm guessing it's a really old rendering) so it has this mega tall tower that looks like it's in the middle of barren waterfront land. I think with the other waterfront projects filled-out, this would anchor downtown. Anyway, it's not as if this city is going to build anything like that in my lifetime, or maybe when I'm 70 or 80 years old

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCAL View Post
I disagree, I think it kind of anchors downtown and adds some depth to the skyline. The way we are going now with the height limit, our skyline looks like a low plateau, not very attractive IMO. The problem with the rendering above (other than it being complete fantasy ) is that waterfront developments like lane field etc. aren't reflected in it (I'm guessing it's a really old rendering) so it has this mega tall tower that looks like it's in the middle of barren waterfront land. I think with the other waterfront projects filled-out, this would anchor downtown. Anyway, it's not as if this city is going to build anything like that in my lifetime, or maybe when I'm 70 or 80 years old
Agreed. On top of that, ideally, this wouldn't be the only >500ft building downtown/

All that said, the best case scenario for SD getting a high rise like that is ~50 years...and maybe that's optimistic.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post
Agreed. On top of that, ideally, this wouldn't be the only >500ft building downtown/

All that said, the best case scenario for SD getting a high rise like that is ~50 years...and maybe that's optimistic.
Also agreed. The great height of the tower helps break up the plateau of the skyline and maybe having a tower so tall would help usher in new buildings that would also help break up the height monotony. It look around 1,000 feet tall in this picture, but I think it would be amazing even if it was 700 or 800 feet. Maybe if it was simple, completely clad in a blue glass facade that is lit up at night... I also love the dome adjacent to the tower... kind of reminds me of the California Tower relative to the Museum of Man Dome.

I think this is more of a fantasy kind of rendering, but I would prefer a tower like this rather than a Ferris Wheel. Maybe the architect/artist who did this rendering could submit a design for this building with a location at the G-Street Mole instead of the Ferris Wheel proposal.

My problem with the Ferris Wheel is that it's already been done in London and now Vegas... why can't San Diego be unique or come up with something original? (Rhetorical question, I guess).

Or what if the Tower/Dome concept this architect proposes is combined with this Quigley/Saskai Concept for a complete re-design of Seaport Village (everyone forgot about this re-design proposal that won the competition):

Old Posted Jan 11, 2015, 5:09 AM

Wow, looks like San Diego has some good stuff on board!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2015, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Also agreed. The great height of the tower helps break up the plateau of the skyline and maybe having a tower so tall would help usher in new buildings that would also help break up the height monotony. It look around 1,000 feet tall in this picture, but I think it would be amazing even if it was 700 or 800 feet. Maybe if it was simple, completely clad in a blue glass facade that is lit up at night... I also love the dome adjacent to the tower... kind of reminds me of the California Tower relative to the Museum of Man Dome.

I think this is more of a fantasy kind of rendering, but I would prefer a tower like this rather than a Ferris Wheel. Maybe the architect/artist who did this rendering could submit a design for this building with a location at the G-Street Mole instead of the Ferris Wheel proposal.

My problem with the Ferris Wheel is that it's already been done in London and now Vegas... why can't San Diego be unique or come up with something original? (Rhetorical question, I guess).

Or what if the Tower/Dome concept this architect proposes is combined with this Quigley/Saskai Concept for a complete re-design of Seaport Village (everyone forgot about this re-design proposal that won the competition):

I am looking forward to see this to be built in San Diego. I love this city!!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2015, 10:00 PM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:

Not to mention Singapore, Seattle, Melbourne, and our sister city Yokohama.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 12:08 AM
BANNED

I would be in favor of a supertall being built in the core of DT buildings, not along the waterfront.

It's a fun fantasy because we all know this would never happen. (In our lifetimes).

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 3:28 AM
SD/OC

All that needs to happen is move the airport...lol. Maybe that can happen inside of 30 or 40 years

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
All that needs to happen is move the airport...lol. Maybe that can happen inside of 30 or 40 years
After having sunk a bunch of new money into the airport, it will be at least that long before the city could justify moving it.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyleraf View Post
I emailed David Malmuth of the IDEA Partners and he informed me that they are targeting groundbreaking for IDEA1 in October with completion planned for 20 months later. New renders should be released soon.
I was looking forward to this starting soon. So much for first quarter.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
If that happens, San Diego will get supertall skyscrapers in it's downtown area of San Diego.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 4:41 AM
Babylon falling

I think the perfect place aesthetically for a 700 to 850 foot tower which could be realistic if height limits were lifted would be the lot freed up by the new court house on Broadway (Between Union and Front). It would be right in the center of the skyline and when viewed from the pretty much every angle it would be a focal point and then step down to the 500 foot plateau completely surrounding it.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
I think the perfect place aesthetically for a 700 to 850 foot tower which could be realistic if height limits were lifted would be the lot freed up by the new court house on Broadway (Between Union and Front). It would be right in the center of the skyline and when viewed from the pretty much every angle it would be a focal point and then step down to the 500 foot plateau completely surrounding it.
So there are plans to put the old courthouse & property up for sale once the new one is operational? The current one is nearly 2 and a half city blocks and connected to SD Central Jail. Wonder if there's a subterranean tunnel to SD Central Jail for the new courthouse? Plans for a new Jail?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 10:09 PM
Babylon falling

Yes there are plans to build a tower on Broadway when the new Courthouse is finished. I'm sure the new facility will have some kind of underground connection to jail. There is no way the City wants to have that terrible rotting structure sitting there on a prime lot on Broadway.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 1:15 AM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Yes there are plans to build a tower on Broadway when the new Courthouse is finished. I'm sure the new facility will have some kind of underground connection to jail. There is no way the City wants to have that terrible rotting structure sitting there on a prime lot on Broadway.
From what I remember reading, neither the city nor the state had designated funds to demo the old county courthouse on Broadway. The plan, from what I remember, was to mothball the site until they could figure out what redevelopment would be feasible for the site.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 6:05 AM
Category Five

The stupid Ferris Wheel survives its first test:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/...heel-port-bay/

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 7:06 PM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo View Post
The stupid Ferris Wheel survives its first test:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/...heel-port-bay/
This won't get passed the coastal commission.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations