HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:29 AM

another rant I have, and I don't mean to sound un-patriotic - why the heck does every single high-rise need a huge American flag on top of it (and many have multiple ones). Some are so big they actually make the buildings seem smaller than they are. I was noticing this lately, and it seems like each week more and more buildings have these protruding from their rooftops. I actually think it makes the city look tacky.

I am not saying this because I have anything against the flag itself, I just think the look of it is tattered and makes the skyline look worse, would be the same if they were California flags, United Nations flags, or any other flag for that matter

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCAL View Post
I mean what's next, put some giant statue of a pirate that looks like the long-johnsilver's logo out on our bay?
There was a proposal for a giant Neptune riding dolphines statue a while back.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:50 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally would be thrilled if the Spinnaker and Columbia towers were built in San Diego, especially the Spinnaker since it'll provide a signature tower for the skyline. Many consider OAP to the city's signature tower, and it's so boring! For me, San Francisco's Transamerica Pyramid is the dealmaker for that city's skyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionary View Post
Have you guys seen the new proposed renderings for The Elle?
I don't know how to post pictures yet, but go to CW Kim's web site: http://www.cwkimarchitect.com/
It's the project titled "Columbia Tower."
45 Stories
262 Upscale Hotel
74 Hotel-Condo
70 Condo's
270 Underground Parking
...all according to the website.

You will also notice a few other projects he is working on like the Spinnaker Hotel, Grand Pacific Tower, and the Shapery Park Tower.

Enjoy!
What's His goal for your life? You can find out! Jeremiah 29:11-13 and 33:3.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filambata View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally would be thrilled if the Spinnaker and Columbia towers were built in San Diego, especially the Spinnaker since it'll provide a signature tower for the skyline. Many consider OAP to the city's signature tower, and it's so boring! For me, San Francisco's Transamerica Pyramid is the dealmaker for that city's skyline.
I couldn't agree more. I love those two as well as Shapery Park. Grand Pacific is a little strange though.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 4:08 AM

Where is Shapery Park Tower suppost to go and what is the deal with that one?

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 4:57 AM

(January 31, 2007)

• Shapery Park Tower (12th and A Hotel Partners) – Centre City Development Permit for a 39-story (407 feet) building with 138 residential units and approximately 2,500 square feet of commercial space located at the northeast corner of 11th Avenue and A Street. This project is pending completion of revised drawings – Core.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 5:37 AM

All the projects for you to view. The Spinnaker and Colombia Tower are nice. The rest...garbage.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 6:18 AM

^^Thanks for posting those, Crackerstick.

Spinnaker Tower - Looks pretty good. Yeah, it's another sail-theme building , but this one works for me.

Columbia Tower -I'm not sure what to think of it yet. I like that's it's white since we don't have many tall white towers now, but I'd like to see more renderings. That crown is different. It sorta reminds me of the Bloomin' Onion appetizer that you can get at Outback Steakhouse How could this be 45 stories, with that crazy crown, and still be under 500'?

Shapery Park Tower - I'm really disappointed in this one. I was expecting something much better than this. I can't believe the guy who did the Emerald Building would submit this design. It's way too Dubai-ish and Asian (and not the good kind) for my taste. What's with those gold minarets and the feather-inspired base? Jeez, this one REALLY needs to go back to the drawing boards.

Grand Pacific Tower - Hated it the first time and still hate it now. It looks so cartoonish.

Last edited by sandiego_urban; May 9, 2007 at 7:58 AM.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 6:35 AM
SD/OC

Quote:
It's small but I like it - - nice clean design, the compactness is cool lookin, the idea to have each side with different material treatments to create shadows is also cool

Wish they would put some of this creativity into the tower projects - -

seems like our smaller projects are the real winners downtown - creative thought without being tacky.

On the other hand, the high-rise towers look like they were designed by some retired architect who had his hay-day in the 80s and now he has a toupe, plays shuffleboard, and is designing San Diego's towers based on inspiration from his retirement home in Boca Raton Florida.

I agree that the website for "CW KIM Architects" is disgusting, those buildings are tacky.

If you want to bring an Asian-inspired touch to a room you can do it by adding a few nice pieces, some antiques that compliment the decor. If you go overboard, however, your room will look like a bad Chinese Restaurant.

I feel this is the same mistake that is being made with the "nautical" theme here in SD. Yes we should celebrate our wonderful seaside location, but if I see one more high-rise or bridge or anything else designed to resemble a sail I am going to puke This was the inspiration for the convention center, it's the inspiration for alot of the new towers, I don't want our downtown to look too much like a "theme" city. I mean what's next, put some giant statue of a pirate that looks like the long-johnsilver's logo out on our bay?
I couldn't agree more...I especially can't stand the Spinnaker (Just threw up a little in my mouth). "Resort towers" do not belong in DTSD, they belong in places like Mission Bay.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 6:42 AM
SD/OC

Funny, out of all of those buildings, I only like the Shapery Park Tower. It's weird, and a little ugly, but I find it appealing for some reason. It sort of reminds me of the old Sands Hotel in Las Vegas, only much taller.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 6:46 AM
Category Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek loves SD View Post
I couldn't agree more. I love those two as well as Shapery Park. Grand Pacific is a little strange though.
I agree. GP is hideous though.

Spinnaker needs to be 500ft.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 6:49 AM
Category Five

Quote:
another rant I have, and I don't mean to sound un-patriotic - why the heck does every single high-rise need a huge American flag on top of it (and many have multiple ones). Some are so big they actually make the buildings seem smaller than they are. I was noticing this lately, and it seems like each week more and more buildings have these protruding from their rooftops. I actually think it makes the city look tacky.

I am not saying this because I have anything against the flag itself, I just think the look of it is tattered and makes the skyline look worse, would be the same if they were California flags, United Nations flags, or any other flag for that matter
Doesn't the 1st national bank building have the largest american flag on top of it?

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 7:47 AM

^^Yup, that sucker is huge.

FYI - Project list on the first page has been updated.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 4:52 PM
Downtowner

Looking over the project list I can say that we are pretty lucky to have such a volume of construction rising in our city. I agree that the quality of some of the projects are a bit low. The CCDC needs to be more stringent on new proposals, the days of approving any project just to have some is over.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IconRPCV View Post
Looking over the project list I can say that we are pretty lucky to have such a volume of construction rising in our city. I agree that the quality of some of the projects are a bit low. The CCDC needs to be more stringent on new proposals, the days of approving any project just to have some is over.
I agree, if you look at the CCDC meeting minutes, each month they all have unanimous approvals of everything. It's like this group of people just sits around saying "alright" to anyone who presents something

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackertastik View Post
All the projects for you to view. The Spinnaker and Colombia Tower are nice. The rest...garbage.

So what's the status of these 4? Have any broke ground? Sometimes the early renderings get changed or improved

I tried viewing the Spinnaker in a positive way, but i just don't see it - it looks like a theme-hotel in orlando/disney-world, not an architectural splendor in a sophisticated city. especially since it will be within the same skyline view as the two hyatt buildings with their sail-like or slanting roofs. it just looks tacky, in my own opinion, but i realize it must be a popular trend in the nautical/sail theme or these projects wouldn't keep being proposed, so guess majority rules

the others could be improved, columbia tower is not too bad, the blooming onion at the top could be re-worked

Shapery park tower - the design on the bottom is not bad, kind of a retro-look with the row of standing leaves, but what the hell happened when they got to the top of the building? Are they trying to give it big ears??

Last edited by SDCAL; May 9, 2007 at 5:32 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo View Post
Doesn't the 1st national bank building have the largest american flag on top of it?
I think so but it seems to change. It is most wide-spread in the north-eastern area of downtown (the financial district). when you come in off the 5 that's all you see are huge flags waving, takes the focus off the architecture.

I have not really paid close attention when visiting other cities, but i didn't notice flags-galore in any other cities. Is it unique to SD?? If so, i wonder why? maybe it is a theme tie-in to "AMERICA's finest city????"

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 8:02 PM
500 foot Groundscraper

Quote:
I think so but it seems to change. It is most wide-spread in the north-eastern area of downtown (the financial district). when you come in off the 5 that's all you see are huge flags waving, takes the focus off the architecture.

I have not really paid close attention when visiting other cities, but i didn't notice flags-galore in any other cities. Is it unique to SD?? If so, i wonder why? maybe it is a theme tie-in to "AMERICA's finest city????"
I know there are lots of cities out there with a lot of flags but I don't know if there as many as SD, maybe it's a remnant of the "military town" reputation.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 9:20 PM

Quote:
So what's the status of these 4? Have any broke ground?
None are under construction as of right now. They might be approved or awaiting final design drawings to get approved but I don't know if any will even go through...

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek loves SD View Post
None are under construction as of right now. They might be approved or awaiting final design drawings to get approved but I don't know if any will even go through...
Lets hope and pray they don't. As Yoda would say, a huge pile of shit those designs are.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations