HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 9:17 PM
Category Five

That CV tower is ugly.

And what happened to all the updates on the projects?

I havent' been able to go downtown to check cuz im been studying for my finals next week.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiego_urban View Post
You bring up a good point. Maybe it's not too late for talks to begin.
God, i hope not

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfarley View Post
It's not white, but who was the one that said it must be? I know I am down in the East Village all the time...that's where I work. That is the only new crane I am familiar with.

Btw, the below project may be starting??? I cannot tell. Definately some earth work going on, but it seems like it is only on one part of the block whereas it seems like it it suppose to be the whole block.

15th & Island
http://www.ccdc.com/index.cfm?fuseac...propertyID=586

If you look on the site, the 1 story building, which will be a cafe/grille for the park, is just about finished out as the pinnacle sales office. I think they are going to try to get this off the ground, pending sales, by years end. The DDA states that the park has to be completed by either the end of 2007 or the end of 2008, and I believe the project will extend the underground garage under a portion of the park.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiego_urban View Post
Thanks for posting, ucsbgaucho! It's no wonder the officials at the SD Convention Center to the north are worried about this project happening. While it's location isn't as good as theirs, it will have all of the amenities to give it some tough competiion.

This will be great for CV and the rest of the South Bay. Perhaps it, along with a possible new Chargers Stadium, will help jumpstart a boom along the 5 corridor, south of downtown.

I'm glad they went with a single tower (300 feet) instead of 3 low rise buildings they originally proposed. I also think the design is more interesting than the new Hilton going up downtown.

Here's another pic that wasn't posted:

This will not be any competion for San Diego's CC. This will merely serve as overflow as to what the SDCC cannot book due to its surplus of conventions. The SDCC has the gaslamp, CV has nothing.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg92101 View Post
This will not be any competion for San Diego's CC. This will merely serve as overflow as to what the SDCC cannot book due to its surplus of conventions. The SDCC has the gaslamp, CV has nothing.
which is why they should just consider the Chargers Stadium for that site

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg92101 View Post
If you look on the site, the 1 story building, which will be a cafe/grille for the park, is just about finished out as the pinnacle sales office. I think they are going to try to get this off the ground, pending sales, by years end. The DDA states that the park has to be completed by either the end of 2007 or the end of 2008, and I believe the project will extend the underground garage under a portion of the park.
thats good

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 10:28 PM
skeetskeetskeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek loves SD View Post
which is why they should just consider the Chargers Stadium for that site
haha was that one of the options?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 1:46 AM

^no...but it should be

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post

think about it...thats downtown in the background of this pic...that would be such a nice backdrop for a stadium would it not? plus its on the water

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 5:47 PM

East Village Haps

Hey,

I started a new blog on neighborhood hapennings in the East Village. This relates more to busines and real estate informartion, rather than construction progress.

http://eastvillagesandiego.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 6:42 PM
skeetskeetskeet

Quote:
think about it...thats downtown in the background of this pic...that would be such a nice backdrop for a stadium would it not? plus its on the water
yeah, that would be nice...doubt its gonna happen though

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 8:29 PM

Looks like Cosmo will get of the ground

Was reading the details and was happy to see that it looks like we will see a start on cosmo

Located in downtown San Diego's East Village neighborhood.

Full block bounded by J Street and Island, 7th and 8th avenues

Simplon Corporation plans to construct a mixed-use project with 290 condominiums, 12,500 square feet of retail space, and 17,100 square feet of office space on the block bounded by J Street, 7th, 8th and Island avenues. The project will encompass the entire block and include the expansion of the existing Fire Station #4 facilities. The project is scheduled to start in Spring 2007, with a fall 2009 completion targeted.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 8:33 PM

Strata has a new timeline as well, a little later but better than nothing

Intracorp plans to develop a 236-unit condominium project with 12,100 square feet of retail space on the southwest corner of 10th Avenue and Market Street. Construction is scheduled to begin in spring 2008, with a winter 2009 completion.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 8:41 PM

Couple more positive construction timeline updates

Library Tower also has a timeline update, suprised this one is going forward without the library

Centurion Partners and Avion Development plan to build a 43-story mixed-use project on the northeast corner of Park Boulevard and K Street. The project will include 168 condominiums, 187 parking spaces and approximately 14,000 square feet of retail space. Construction is scheduled to begin in late 2007 with completion anticipated in early 2010.

Here is 15th and Island's details also with an update having them starting this year

Pinnacle Development will be developing a mixed-use project consisting of approximately 620 condominium units, 20,000 square feet of commercial space, and 800 parking spaces in three levels of underground parking on an approximately 120,000 square foot "super-block" site bounded by Island Avenue and 14th, 15th, and J Streets. The development would create an approximately 57,000 square foot public park on the west half of the site, with the east half of the site being developed with two condominium towers of 31- and 39-stories (approximately 370 and 430 feet tall, respectively) above a 4-6 story base (45-80 feet tall). Construction is anticipated to commence in early 2007 and be completed in mid-2009.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 8:42 PM

How much weight would you guys give to these timelines. Looks like 15th and Island is not a joke since they're finishing up the sales office.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 9:01 PM

as long as some progress is being made on any of these projects, i dont care how long it takes...i just want to see these things rising

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 9:47 PM
Long-Time Californian

Quote:
as long as some progress is being made on any of these projects, i dont care how long it takes...i just want to see these things rising
Because the housing market is slowing down and will be that way for a while, I suspect we'll see fewer proposals until things strengthen.

Concerning proposals in the pipeline... the developers may not be that exposed to the vulnerabilities assuming they purchased the properties a few years ago when land costs were much lower. Also, with fewer development moving forward construction costs should be tempered... I would think? And additionally, many of these developments will not be completed for about 2 years... especially the larger ones like Library Tower. In 2 years the market could have bottomed out by then and buyers could be returning.

With everything said, if I were a developer of a tower... I'd tend to want to watch and see what the market is doing before deciding to build. I remember reading an article in the Voice that said something along the lines that the cost of planning and building a tower, and the return based on the market for units, yeilded a 20% or so return. If the market softens... that 20% return could be nominal.

By the way, I tend not to believe in those construction timelines. When they start... I'll believe it.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 10:56 PM

OCtoSD...where did you find that information? its juicy

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 10:56 PM
SD/OC

I started a bunch of new threads under the "highrise construction" forum.
I started ones for:

Electra - 43 Floors
One Library Circle (Library Tower) - 43 Floors
Vantage Point -4o Floors
15th & Island - 31 & 39 Floors
Bayside at the Embarcadero - 36 Floors
Sapphire Tower - 32 Floors

Could someone please post pics of the projects under construction!!!!!!! Especially the ones like 15th and Island that are just getting a start with the new sales office and cafe being completed.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 12:31 AM

I got all of that information off of the ccdc website. If you go to all projects on the left hand side, or to the interactive map and click on individual projects you can get the blurbs. What I posted was the blurbs for the projects that are suppost to have starts in 2007 and one 2008. Below is the link to the project list. And below that is a blurb for a bosa project with an 07 start that I had not yet seen.

http://www.ccdc.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/projects.home

15 and Island
Located in downtown San Diego's Marina neighborhood.

Block bounded by First and Second avenues and Island and J streets

Bosa Development is proposing to construct a 38-story, mixed-use project consisting of 172 condominiums, 23,000 sf of retail space and 435 parking spaces on the block bounded by First and Second avenues and Island and J streets. The project would convert the existing J Street parking lot into a public plaza. Construction is anticipated to begin in late 2007 with completion targeted for spring 2010.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations