HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Today, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Regardless a proper grid system comprised of base load and peaker plants should easily be able to absorb the net excess generation of solar systems like ours.
Sure, but having both systems comes at a financial cost, as seen in Germany and Denmark where electricity prices have steadily increased. And the other issue is what happens when these base load and peaking plants retire and aren't replaced with power plants with comparable dispatchability. This is happening in Australia (and will happen within a decade for the UK when all of its coal and current nuclear plants are expected to retire), where states like South Australia and Victoria no longer have enough local generation to meet peak demand during hot, windless late afternoons and occasionally see spot electricity rates jump to $14,500/MWh.

http://www.wattclarity.com.au/articl...-january-2019/

Quote:
Edit: and I’ll add that I can’t trust the source of that anecdote from that individual because what they are saying is wrong. by legislation power producers must purchase power for the same price they sell it for. Right now we both buy and sell at .0589 Cents a kilowatt hour. Shortly I will call our provider and bump that up to .15 for the summer. Something about that anecdote is not correct
As jawagord mentioned, net metering doesn't cover D&T charges when selling. And D&T consist of both fixed and (significant) variable portions that scale with usage. I know since there was a period where my household electricity meter broke and didn't record any usage for a month. Enmax only charged their administrative fee, <$14 for distribution and <$1.50 for local access fee and didn't have any transmission charge or rate riders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
California has huge demand charges on residential customers. So a lot of people will do energy intensive things like cook or do laundry outside the peak to avoid demand charges. And that's why residential solar systems are so popular in California: They shave your demand so that you can avoid the charges for excess use.
I don't think California has (yet) demand charges for residential (where the amount you pay per bill is affected by your peak instantaneous power usage like commercial users), but they've almost all gone to Time Of Use. And as solar penetration has increased, the peak hours of major utilities like SDGE and PG&E have continued to be pushed later, to where it's now 4PM-9PM during summer workdays to account for the duck curve.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada