HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 10:44 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

James Avery is popular for charms that go on bracelets. I bet they will have tons of Austin and Texas-centric charms for sale. Last minute keepsakes for people's Austin vacation.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
James Avery is popular for charms that go on bracelets. I bet they will have tons of Austin and Texas-centric charms for sale. Last minute keepsakes for people's Austin vacation.
Yep, airport retail is all about last minute souvenirs and emergency replacements of travel needs.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:46 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
How popular are Duty Free shops at Airports? One is going to open in the eastern expansion. Would you stop by after you land and buy your liquor for the month and save maybe $10?
I think the way the US taxes it's less popular for us. Most countries pay VAT and it can be pretty high so you could be looking at a 20-30% savings depending on where you live. Throw in a favorable exchange rate and you can potentially be looking at goods at 50% off.

It's why you tend to see extremely high-end goods in large international airports. You also have duty free purchases in some countries for foreigners to encourage shopping. Go to the top floor of Le Bon Marche in Paris and there will be a massive amount of Chinese tourists waiting to make tax-free purchases.

I think for Americans the luxury tax ending in 2002 likely made them less desirable.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:35 PM

New ABJ Article on Airport Expansion:

Quote:
The paint is still drying on the last big project at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport.

But there's no rest for the weary when air travel is growing as fast as it is in Austin.

After rolling out the first part of a $350 million terminal expansion earlier this year, ABIA's attention is back on landing more nonstop routes and pushing for further expansions as part of its 2040 master plan.

Aviation officials and experts told an Urban Land Institute audience on April 24 the Austin business community has a crucial role to play in the airport's future — from pushing for the master plan at Austin City Hall to supporting nascent routes through their business travel budgets.

ABIA Executive Director Jim Smith said the new nine-gate expansion lifts the airport's capacity to 15 million passengers, up from the 11 million passengers the Southeast Austin facility was initially designed to accommodate. But ABIA's annual passenger count has already surpassed that benchmark, reaching 15.8 million passengers last year. Smith expects this year's total to reach around 17.5 million.

"Even though we just did a major project, we're already kind of behind the eight ball in terms of keeping up with the rate of growth," Smith said.

Smith said they expect airport traffic to reach between 21 million and 30 million annual passengers within a decade. That will require roughly $4 billion worth of facility updates to handle that spike in demand.

"Right now, we can't afford $4 billion and still have an airport which is cost effective for the airlines to fly in and out of," Smith said. "So it's going to call for a lot of creativity and prioritization over the next couple years to decide what we build."

"We just have to work to try to keep the infrastructure at pace or close to the pace with the potential demand," he added.

ABIA's 2040 master plan, which is under review by the Federal Aviation Administration, calls for parallel concourses similar to airport designs in Atlanta and Denver to handle that growth. Smith said the two concourses would likely be connected by an above-ground bridge, due to issues with building an underground connection related to the water table. The airport will also need additional taxiways and access to whatever form of high-capacity mass transit materializes in Capital Metropolitan Transportation Authority's Project Connect, Smith said.

"We're still evaluating what our [financial] options are, everything from what method of project delivery to a public-private partnership," Smith said.

Avenues for business advocacy
Dell Technologies Inc. executive Doug Driskill chairs the Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce's air services task force. He said community involvement was critical to the expansion of Austin's network of nonstop routes, pointing to nonstop British Airways service to London and Lufthansa's upcoming nonstop service to Frankfurt, Germany.

"Those things didn't happen by accident," Driskill said. "They happened because the business community and the city and the region, frankly, were working together to really advocate."

He said that same type of mobilization will be needed to push for funding the facilities expansion outlined in ABIA's master plan.

"We are already behind the curve on the most recent expansion," Driskill said. "We don't want to be in a position to miss the next wave of growth or opportunity."

Driskill said there are more European destinations that ABIA could land in the near future, mentioning recent Delta Airlines investments into the Austin airport. He also said securing ABIA's first nonstop connection to Asia was "top of mind for us."

"There are a couple of carriers now I think have moved from interest to probably in the horizon of the next two years," Driskill said of launching Asia service.

Jeff Fegan, an aviation industry consultant and the former CEO of Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, said local businesses should support nascent nonstop routes, even if they're not as cheap as routes that connect through other cities.

"As corporations, I would certainly look at your travel policies and encourage your people that do travel in your organizations to actually use the nonstop service," Fegan said. "That's the only way these things will be sustained long-term."

Fegan said that's because airlines often watch how a rival's route fares in a market before following suit.

"If an airline [route] fails at an airport, that also sends a big strong signal," Fegan said. "So it's very important that our community support these flights. And travel policies [are] one way of doing that."

Fegan also encouraged businesses to advocate for the master plan at the local level and lobby at the federal level that the Transportation Security Administration and U.S. Customers and Border Patrol be fully equipped and "prepared for this onslaught of new [ABIA] travel."

FAA approval of the master plan was suppose to take up to 6 months but there was a federal shutdown that could likely extend that. It'll be real interesting when we get our first peep at the 1st CIP of the new 2040 plan.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:07 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
New ABJ Article on Airport Expansion:

I'm surprised you didn't BOLD the sixth to last paragraph.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:46 PM

I have to think at least CDG will be announced on Delta metal this year. Personally, I’d start with just CDG and add AMS later as opposed to both at the same time so the market can better absorb the capacity.

I wonder which Asian carriers are interested.

Also, I’d the Sky Club still opening in May or is it going to open with the rest of the gates?

Last edited by AvgeekDL; Today at 12:56 AM.

Old Posted Today, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvgeekDL View Post
I have to think at least CDG will be announced on Delta metal this year. Personally, I’d start with just CDG and add AMS later as opposed to both at the same time so the market can better absorb the capacity.

I wonder which Asian carriers are interested.

Also, I’d the Sky Club still opening in May or is it going to open with the rest of the gates?
I read on a.net that DL is more interested in adding to AMS rather than CDG

Old Posted Today, 1:37 AM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysgs View Post
I read on a.net that DL is more interested in adding to AMS rather than CDG
They are both good for connections and honestly flying into AMS even when going to Paris isn't so bad. It's a very doable train from Schipol.

AMS is probably "better" for me for business reasons but I'll always take the excuse to end a work trip in Paris for a day or two.

Old Posted Today, 2:55 AM
Member since 2001

AMS is a much better connecting hub than CDG. Based solely on that, I'd like to see AMS added first. However, a direct route to Paris would be cool.

With IST's goal of being the world's largest hub in the very near future, I could see a connection there as well (maybe in the next 10-15 years).

Old Posted Today, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
AMS is a much better connecting hub than CDG. Based solely on that, I'd like to see AMS added first. However, a direct route to Paris would be cool.

With IST's goal of being the world's largest hub in the very near future, I could see a connection there as well (maybe in the next 10-15 years).
While I agree AMS is easier and I’d like to see it added, CDG has more O&D and onward connections to places like India and Africa compared to AMS. Therefore, it would make more sense to add CDG first. AMS could then be added in a couple of years.

I don’t know about IST, that is a looooong way off at this point. Let’s see how these European adds do before thinking about Turkish. They’ll add DFW way before AUS. It’s more likely TPAC service comes before that.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin