HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 7:15 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
So, maybe, it's different for Japanese in Japan or Germans in Germany if we are talking about Japanese-Americans or German-Americans in the US hesitant to display the association with their old country as connoting past/foreign regimes given their own experience and relations with the home/ancestral country.
This is really a much much deeper conversation, but the snuffing out and shaming of Germany and of vigorous and active German ethnic culture in the United States dates to and has everything to do with World War I. Before WWI many Germans enjoyed a dual identity, much to the criticism of other Americans, maintaining strong German ethnic clubs and social org's and producing large amounts of German language books, periodicals and newspapers not to mention being the proprietors of businesses that catered to German tastes and clientele. This dramatically changed when they started to become vilified because of the actions of Imperial Germany in WWI. In very short order, through shaming and avoidance of conflict, many German-Americans chose to shun or at least significantly dial back their German ethnic identities, especially in public. Many families even chose to Anglicize their surnames or changed their surnames entirely in an effort to reduce suspicion of loyalty and discrimination for themselves and their children. There is a multitude of German surnames in this country that where changed likely around this period in time. By the time World War II came around, the outcome and stigma of Germany really was the nail in the coffin. What remains of the outward expression of German culture amongst German-Americans in the US almost exclusively comes in the form of almost comical Bavarian themed establishments and Oktoberfest activities, for better or worse.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I feel like the premise of this thread isn't really about less or more national pride than it is whether there is a culture of flying a national flag at every single "national" building, or "quasi-national" buildings like schools,etc., or at private buildings like businesses and/or peoples homes.

As for the Japanese not showing outward displays of national pride? Ever been to or seen a figure skating competition, literally of any kind? It's like the arena of the rising sun. And for the the Germans, watched the World Cup? They don't seem shy about Deutschland uber Alles when it comes to football.
Yes but there is still an aversion to flying the flag in other contexts. The idea of streets lined with the flag would be disconcerting to many Germans. They see American flag-waving as somewhat Nazi-like.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
You barely see Japanese flags on actual national buildings.
Ah ouais ? Funny, I thought the Japanese were a bit spoiled by some arrogant national pride of some sort.
National and EU flags on public buildings are pretty systematic in my country, up to public nurseries. Lol, poor local little kids brainwashed as of the age of 3...
I find it a bit silly as flags, including the gay/peace one made up of the rainbow colors (that's only a biblical thing and a natural phenomenon of physics, eh) often feel like some kind of bigotry, or at least like what we call "prosélytisme".
Definition of that thing:

Attempt to convert (someone) from one religion, belief, or opinion to another.

It is wrong, offensive. No one needs to do that.

That said, Idk why, despite being a Republican, I like the fleur de lys on flags.
But it's only a matter of design, nothing ideological.
This is officially the more or less historic flag of my Paris region.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drapea...8Ele-de-France

I don't think I've ever seen it anywhere over here, or it has to be very unusual.
Maybe because the fleur de lys is supposedly a monarchist symbol, while of course, our country's been trying to be a fair republic for long.
Anyway, its design itself was something stylish and effective IMO.

As for the OP question, yes, you'll see plenty of foreign flags here.
Especially Portuguese, Algerian, British, American, some German too, and many others on T-shirts and elsewhere.
I guess people just don't mind too much.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Yes, but it depends on background. PR's fly their flags the most in NYC, even though PR isn't a "country". DRs, Colombians, Ecudaorians and Jamaicans are also proud flag-wavers. Italians, Irish, Ukranians and Israelis occasionally.

Russians and Chinese almost never fly their flags. For Russians it makes sense because most who immigrated to US dislike Russia, for Chinese probably a cultural thing.

I don't notice Mexican flags, but obviously they display the Virgin of Guadalupe. Everywhere. You can always tell an Italian neighborhood by the front-of-house or apartment building window Virgin Mary statues. You know Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods by spotting mezuzahs on front doors.
People descended from the Caribbean also like to plaster their country's (or territory's) flag all over their cars in NYC. I don't see that much in other parts of the country, except maybe South Florida.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 4:53 PM

My neighbors up the street fly their Canadian flag. I used to fly a Welsh one.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/flag-of-Wales

I'm a big fan of dragons.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 6:35 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Interestingly Asian-Americans don't fly their country of origin's flags that often in the US (or even Canada for that matter), compared to European and Latin American communities.
You're right. I never see Asian flags despite a huge Asian-Canadian population. Perhaps they're more sensitive to fitting in and being seen as Canadians first. I suppose the same things are at play down south.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Yes but there is still an aversion to flying the flag in other contexts. The idea of streets lined with the flag would be disconcerting to many Germans. They see American flag-waving as somewhat Nazi-like.

Interesting that they criticize aspects of my country as "Nazi-like" when we weren't the country that invented, you know... Nazis.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 5:36 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

In Hawaii ethnic or (foreign) national identity is very strong (even with non-1st generation) as you can see flags quite commonly (especially hanging from rear view mirrors) to "____ Built" stickers/decals on vehicles.

An example of decals:

*Some decals are very large and take up entire back windows. Although the example above states Maui Built below each ethnicity, the most common way of seeing it is by Ethnic Group with Built added, for example: Portuguese Built, Tokelauan Built, etc. and it's mainly used to refer to their origin.

Example of rear view hanging flags which are also very common in Hawaii

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 5:40 PM

Anyone see Texas flags flown outside of Texas?

That seems like something Texans would do since it was once an independent nation.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 6:45 PM

In Los Angeles, I see foreign flags in front of small business quite often, but no so much in front of residences.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 8:20 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

That seems like something Texans would do since it was once an independent nation.
Vermont and Hawai'i were independent too (and longer) but you hardly see their flags other than government buildings.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 8:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
nope, never seen one in chicago.

but you do see a lot of puerto rican flags in certain chicago neighborhoods, and those kinda look like texas flags.......

speaking of flags in chicago, this is far and away the most common flag here:

source: https://chitownclothing.com/sitemap_blogs_1.xml

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 3, 2019 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 9:00 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:

i certainly see it in the missouri ozarks and even occasionally in st. louis.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions