HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 9:44 PM
Dryer lint inspector

In that same vain, I'd love to visit northern Pakistan. Which right now is a shit storm.

https://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/wp-c...8/north-pk.jpg

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Not everyone is a foodie and Paris had a lot of food out of her comfort zone.
You mean like roast chicken, burgers and steak frites? Pancakes? Ham and cheese sandwiches? It’s not like they’re putting snails in everything.

I’ve actually got a friend whose wife is like that. Very strange things to be afraid of - won’t eat white fish (will eat oysters), orders chicken everywhere, etc. There’s a difference between “not a foodie” and “picky as a 7 year old”. But anyway.

Did you make it to Paris in the end?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Apr 5, 2019 at 7:10 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 11:15 AM

^ There might just be some misinformation on either side.
I think the French media sometimes tells the people some ugly lies about the US too.
Never mind. It's just rivalry and jealousy on both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
The Paris Fashion Week made it to their list? Meh, it must be some jet set event indeed.
I don't know how to get through their selection, but it is certainly some professional or VIP-exclusive stuff.
Why would you attend it anyway? To stare at models? Boring.
Frankly, they require them to be too skinny, which is oppressive and uncivilized, as if having a normal female body was anything shameful.
Someone should finally explain to them that there's something right between being fat or as skinny as a dead skeleton. Lol.
Hé, between us, the woman from Pakistan above looks much more interesting.
She looks gorgeous!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 12:50 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Very strange things to be afraid of - won’t eat white fish (will eat oysters), orders chicken everywhere, etc. There’s a difference between “not a foodie” and “picky as a 7 year old”. But anyway.
i had an ex like that, i think some of it is about how much of a diversity of foods you were exposed to as a child. i think the 80s and 90s were really peak con-agra as far as how much of the influence of big crap food on american palates. i remember getting food poisoning from con-agra chicken strips as like a freshman in college (early 00s) with the phone in one hand (con agra) and a trash can in the other and not thinking like...wtf am i eating?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 12:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
In that same vain, I'd love to visit northern Pakistan. Which right now is a shit storm.

https://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/wp-c...8/north-pk.jpg
JManc, if you want to see, remote villages left behind by the modern world surrounded by spectacular mountains, interesting cities with ancient ruins without feeling like you could be taken out by some backward terror/political group and also be surrounded by extremely nice/friendly people you could substitute Pakistan for South America's Andes region in Chile, Peru and Patagonia region.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 1:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Egypt for me. My wife and I have long dreamt of going. We had a pretty good chance to go once upon a time, but it fell apart. We should have made more of an effort to go when the getting was good.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 1:56 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I'll probably never get a chance to go to Svalbard, Kerguelen, Bouvet or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auyuittuq_National_Park

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 2:30 PM

Quote:
You mean like roast chicken, burgers and steak frites? Pancakes? Ham and cheese sandwiches? It’s not like they’re putting snails in everything.
It might be more the stereotype of Parisian restaurants as tourist traps with frozen food and surly service (which is, to a degree, true, if you stick to the most trafficked zones and don't do your homework).

But the menus at those tourist traps are basically interchangeable, and will all have chicken, steak frites, onion soup, some type of grilled cheese. chocolate mousse and often even a hamburger or hot dog. And they probably aren't worse than typical American chains.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 2:34 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvfr800i View Post
Great question!

I'm lucky since my list of "probably never get there" places has gotten smaller over the years, but I still see the following places as long shots for various reasons:

1. Hong Kong
2. Israel
3. Anywhere in Africa.
4. Sevastopol
5. Tallinn

I'm not giving up on any of these!!
The good news is HK is probably the easiest of these places to travel to, so it should be pretty easy to knock it off your list.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
The good news is HK is probably the easiest of these places to travel to, so it should be pretty easy to knock it off your list.
For me HK is a travel companion issue. My (much) better half is not keen on traveling to Asia or Africa. Twice I've been within sight of north Africa with time to kill and I couldn't sell it.

Honestly, Estonia is the best chance on that list. A road trip from Helsinki to St. Petersburg to Tallinn. That I could sell. Maybe!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 7:05 PM

I'd like to take a sea kayak excursion at Baffin Island but there is no chance of convincing my wife to join, so I'd be on my own for that.

Iran would also be scenic and interesting to visit. Who knows if I'll make it there.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 7:06 PM
them bones

So many places I want to go, so many places I likely will never see.

That being said, to add to the train discussion here...25+ years ago I was allowed to take Amtrak multiple times from Detroit to Phoenix and back to visit my dad. As a high school kid into geography and cities, it was an amazing way to see a large part of the country. Same price as a plane ticket, but takes 3+ days. Layover in Chicago (9 hours), St. Louis, Little Rock, Dallas, Ft. Worth, Austin, San Antonio (3 hours to turn the train around), West Texas. My parents had a lot of trust. In '93 when the Mississippi flooded St. Louis we had to go around to Memphis and up through Kentucky. I've actually been to all of those places (except Little Rock) in the years since, but seeing them from the train was really unique.

The Trans-Siberian is absolutely on my bucket list. In winter of course.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 7:14 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvfr800i View Post
For me HK is a travel companion issue. My (much) better half is not keen on traveling to Asia or Africa. Twice I've been within sight of north Africa with time to kill and I couldn't sell it.

Is it just an issue of the flight being too long? I can't otherwise fathom why anyone would be scared to visit Hong Kong of all places.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Is it just an issue of the flight being too long? I can't otherwise fathom why anyone would be scared to visit Hong Kong of all places.
Not scared...just not interested.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:

I’ve actually got a friend whose wife is like that. Very strange things to be afraid of - won’t eat white fish (will eat oysters), orders chicken everywhere, etc. There’s a difference between “not a foodie” and “picky as a 7 year old”. But anyway.

Did you make it to Paris in the end?
Jesus, could you get ruder? You are calling someone's wife a 7-year-old. Does it not even dawn on you that this may be rude? Or do you care?

Most elitist person on SSP.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 7:53 PM

I try never to say never, but my dream vacation is to go to Bhutan. I love the idea of going to an isolated Buddhist kingdom in the Himalayas.

It's just expensive to go for most people, including myself, because they limit the amount of tourists who go there, and when you do go, you have to do it through a travel agency and travel tour group approved by the Bhutanese government, or something like that. People from a few select countries (India being one of them) can cross into Bhutan without a problem/without paying really high fees.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...aro-bhutan.jpg

https://www.tigersnestbhutan.com/wp-...-Monastery.jpg

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 8:31 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
There’s a difference between “not a foodie” and “picky as a 7 year old”. But anyway.
Yeah, there's no 'but anyway'; you slipped in this little drive-by comment about my wife which is par for the course of your Chad like attitude on this forum.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 12:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
In '93 when the Mississippi flooded St. Louis we had to go around to Memphis and up through Kentucky.
I remember those floods. I remember flying over and being able to see the extent of it from 30,000 feet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions