HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 6:10 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Would you agree with this?

I came up with this map the other night. I ask if you agree with it because some of the "districts" are my own while others are real but expanded upon and the rest actual district that haven't been modified.

For instance, River North and the King William/Southtown/Lavaca districts are the true definitions.

Downtown, South Flores Arts District and Midtown are actual districts just modified. Downtown the least of them all.

Pearl District/Lower Broadway, West Square, Olde East are not official with the last two being my own creations.

I did this because this areas need their own identities which will help with the promotion of the inner city. Along those lines is with these new "on their own" districts is a need for individual infrastructure and streetscape improvements which will help with growth.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 5:15 PM
Bears of antiquity

Is it sad that I can name all the component neighborhoods?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 8:40 PM

I agree somewhat, but, Municipal auditorium, and the library are no doubt downtown. I would title your downtown, Central Business district. All of that areas can be considered downtown, but districts of downtown. The Pearl and Broadway, I would say they are separate, and portions of Square, Olde East, Southtown and SOFLO are also downtown.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
Is it sad that I can name all the component neighborhoods?
Not at all. I did the same thing as I was looking at the map.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 1:24 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

That last little isolated square you have labeled at "lower broadway" is mahncke park if you ask me.

And isn't the near west side also called cattleman square. Or maybe it's just part of it. Or maybe I imagined that completely... ^_^

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 2:15 AM

Extending out a bit, would the area from UIW to Trinity (and possibly all the way over to Monte Vista) be uptown?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
That last little isolated square you have labeled at "lower broadway" is mahncke park if you ask me.
No, Mahncke Park is much further up Broadway.

Actually, the little neighborhood you're talking about is called West Fort I believe.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 6:33 AM

No, I would not agree with this.

First of all, you can't just make up names for a part of town, they become recognized over time (like Southtown).

You can't call something Lower Broadway when Broadway actually goes lower.

If someone said "meet you in in Midtown" I might go to North Star mall.

If someone said "meet you in Olde East" I'd say "I don't think so"

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
No, I would not agree with this.

First of all, you can't just make up names for a part of town, they become recognized over time (like Southtown).

You can't call something Lower Broadway when Broadway actually goes lower.

If someone said "meet you in in Midtown" I might go to North Star mall.

If someone said "meet you in Olde East" I'd say "I don't think so"
Well, Midtown is actually defined as that area, I didn't make it up.

Olde East, I agree, sounds bunk.

Lower Broadway ends there because River North begins inside the Central Loop.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 6:23 AM

Long time reader, first time poster.

I would agree with the Pearl District and SoFlo. My question on that is do we have to call it the Pearl District or can we simply call it "Pearl?"

As for Southtown/Lavaca, it always seemed to me they were really two distinct areas, with Lavaca being the area closer to the highway. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe the area you've titled Olde East already has a name that Council District 2 and local residents are trying to brand it with. I don't recall the name, but I believe they had already moved to designing a logo for the area.

As for "West Square," I've always called the area Cattleman Square. Though I'm not sure there's actually a square by that name. I'm curious about the extra block bump out you've added on the northwest end - what ties that area to the district, but not the seven blocks beneath it?

My biggest issue is with the area you've titled "Midtown." Most of that area is either Five Points or Tobin Hill, and some of those northern blocks are part of Monte Vista, I believe. Personally, I prefer those more "San Antonio" specific names over a name like Midtown, which is generic and could be in any city in the U.S.

Overall I agree with the concept of giving the areas stronger identities. I don't recall where I read it, but I believe the city is poised to start working with community groups on comprehensive planning and branding programs to help develop the identities of older areas. The city needs inner-city areas with strong individual personalities to offer viable alternatives to the faceless suburbs spreading outside 1604.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTexas View Post
Long time reader, first time poster.

I would agree with the Pearl District and SoFlo. My question on that is do we have to call it the Pearl District or can we simply call it "Pearl?"

As for Southtown/Lavaca, it always seemed to me they were really two distinct areas, with Lavaca being the area closer to the highway. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe the area you've titled Olde East already has a name that Council District 2 and local residents are trying to brand it with. I don't recall the name, but I believe they had already moved to designing a logo for the area.

As for "West Square," I've always called the area Cattleman Square. Though I'm not sure there's actually a square by that name. I'm curious about the extra block bump out you've added on the northwest end - what ties that area to the district, but not the seven blocks beneath it?

My biggest issue is with the area you've titled "Midtown." Most of that area is either Five Points or Tobin Hill, and some of those northern blocks are part of Monte Vista, I believe. Personally, I prefer those more "San Antonio" specific names over a name like Midtown, which is generic and could be in any city in the U.S.

Overall I agree with the concept of giving the areas stronger identities. I don't recall where I read it, but I believe the city is poised to start working with community groups on comprehensive planning and branding programs to help develop the identities of older areas. The city needs inner-city areas with strong individual personalities to offer viable alternatives to the faceless suburbs spreading outside 1604.

Welcome to the forum. Glad to see you finally joined. You a SA local? Or elsewhere in the state?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 7:57 PM

I can't recall ever hearing that area called "Midtown" either. More often than not I've heard locals referring to specific institutions around the area, such as San Antonio College and San Pedro Park, in making reference to the larger area, in addition to neighborhood designations like Tobin Hill and Monte Vista.

Also, Cattleman Square is the name I've most often heard for that area.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
I can't recall ever hearing that area called "Midtown" either. More often than not I've heard locals referring to specific institutions around the area, such as San Antonio College and San Pedro Park, in making reference to the larger area, in addition to neighborhood designations like Tobin Hill and Monte Vista.
Midtown does exist.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/n...=1360&ver=true

I just expanded on it.

Quote:
Also, Cattleman Square is the name I've most often heard for that area.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Yes, they are distinct. I just grouped them all together because I didn;t want to use three different colors in that small of an area.

Quote:
Are you talking about East Town or something else?

Quote:
First draft.

Quote:
Midtown is the district. Tobin, Five, Monte are the neighborhoods.

Midtown does exist though smaller than my version and just not promoted.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/p...e_Plan_Map.pdf

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Midtown does exist though smaller than my version and just not promoted.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/p...e_Plan_Map.pdf
How did you ever find that? I don't see any way to navigate to that page from the menus. Are you working on this? If so, I think the consensus is we prefer another name besides Midtown.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
How did you ever find that? I don't see any way to navigate to that page from the menus. Are you working on this? If so, I think the consensus is we prefer another name besides Midtown.
I couldn't find it either although I didn't go through all 100+ maps that they have on the site.

Midtown is too.... general in a way, and I think is more of a geographical description than a physical description of a given area.
I think if someone said "I'll meet you Midtown" I would have to have them clarify; middle of downtown? Mulberry area? Trinity?
Generally speaking, if I were to consider NorthStar area "Uptown," I would then have to consider the area around San Pedro between Basse and Hildebrand Midtown; an area that has potential to one day have its own true identity and then I'm sure a name will evolve at that time.
Not saying this is the rule, but usually the name evolves from a description of the area, name of a "founding father" in creating an identity for the area OR from an immovable object located in the area.
For example, the Pearl District refers to the brewery building which can/should always be there. Deco district refers to the style seen in many buildings along Fred Rd.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
I couldn't find it either although I didn't go through all 100+ maps that they have on the site.

Midtown is too.... general in a way, and I think is more of a geographical description than a physical description of a given area.
I think if someone said "I'll meet you Midtown" I would have to have them clarify; middle of downtown? Mulberry area? Trinity?
Generally speaking, if I were to consider NorthStar area "Uptown," I would then have to consider the area around San Pedro between Basse and Hildebrand Midtown; an area that has potential to one day have its own true identity and then I'm sure a name will evolve at that time.
Not saying this is the rule, but usually the name evolves from a description of the area, name of a "founding father" in creating an identity for the area OR from an immovable object located in the area.
For example, the Pearl District refers to the brewery building which can/should always be there. Deco district refers to the style seen in many buildings along Fred Rd.
Good post Miaht82.

When I think of Downtown, MidTown, and UpTown I think of more traditional American Cities. San Antonio really doesn't fit this mold. Even though there is nothing wrong with using some of this terminology for San Antonio, it really isn't the same as in other cities. In some more "traditional" american cities these terms have developed organically over time.

I have only lived here for a little over four years, but from what I know San Antonio has the structure of a traditional american city, but it did develope a little later. Cities like Charlotte, Phoenix, etc don't have this type of structure.

If you had to (or at least if I had to) describe where Downtown, MidTown, and Uptown in SA would be, it would be the same as Miaht described it. Even though the regions have never developed "the same way" as the more traditional american cities have, I believe the regions truely exist.

I am for pretty much whatever urban development can get going in SA...call it what ever you want, I don't care.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio