HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ What sucks is my office is two blocks from that Samitaur tower, but in December, before the Expo Line opens, we're moving our offices to El Segundo. I soooooo could have taken the Expo Line to work every day once it reached the La Cienega stop. But noooooooo!
Hey, at least El Segundo is still served by light rail!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 9:28 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Meh, my office is on the other side of El Segundo from the El Segundo Green Line stop. And with 2 transfers (Red to Blue, Blue to Green), it's not really a reasonable daily commute. It will be quicker to drive.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 7:11 AM

colemonkee...I highly recommend the Silver Line to Green Line connection if you can. It's actually about 15 minutes faster than the existing Red - Blue - Green connection. It takes the I-110 carpool lanes and gets you 2 stops closer to the western portion fo the Green Line. Try it out someday!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 8:06 AM
International

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 5:25 PM

Am I crazy for kinda liking that new building shown above? I pass by it all the time and it looks to be pretty well done.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 5:44 PM

No you are not crazy because it actually looks pretty nice for Streamline Moderne! You just feel crazy because most buildings that go up in LA trying to emulate past architectural designs end up miserably in vain.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 6:58 PM
Ascension

^ I agree. I think that those 'post streamline' (my new architectural term ) works very well. It looks at the past while remaining modern and not retro. Unlike Palmer's plagues which do NOT belong downtown. The only place where I could see his faux Italian buildings would be in Beverly Hills.

Avalon Wilshire is a perfect example of post streamline architecture that works extremely well.

http://www.rent.com/media/property/778/444/7784447.jpg

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 10:29 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Looks pretty good. I only have one complaint, and it's a general one. Why can't these new developments ever make use of the back alleyway for the parking entrance(s)?

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 11:55 PM
Heavy User

^

Just a guess but I think that alley would be hard pressed to handle the traffic of what look to be several dozen units (each with probably 1.5 cars). I could be wrong here of course.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 12:08 AM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Looks pretty good. I only have one complaint, and it's a general one. Why can't these new developments ever make use of the back alleyway for the parking entrance(s)?
I wondered that myself. A lot of buildings on Wilshire have their parking lots/garages/entrances behind the building. But quite a few residentials have their parking entrances on the front which makes it very hard to enter/exit on the ever busy Wilshire Blvd.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 2:45 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Most buildings on Wilshire will have vehicular entrances on the side streets perpendicular to Wilshire, which is where they should probably be. Alleys should be reserved for loading/unloading of trucks for the commercial spaces.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 5:58 AM
International

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 6:25 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

What's this??? A building not finished with stucco! Bravo! And nice shot, KOTL, especially the reflections lighting up the street.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 7:45 PM
International

Hmm, KOTL? What does that stand for?

Anyways, the building in mention is the Echo 1030, a LEED Platinum live/work space building nearing completion in Echo Park. One of the few, high-quality infill projects outside of Santa, Monica, Venice or WeHo. Too bad stuff like this is exception, and not the norm (salmon stucco-clad, faux-Mediterranean/Tuscan residences are).

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 10:16 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Echo 1030 shares a bit of a resemblance to that new building on Bronson you shared with us. Is it really true that Echo Park is gentrifying? Or is this anomalous building simply out of place?

I also am admittedly a fan of some of the Mediterranean-inspired stuff going up. Not all, just some.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 10:58 PM
Ascension

Meh. I still like the post streamline stuff. Especially in more denser areas.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 3:59 AM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Echo 1030 shares a bit of a resemblance to that new building on Bronson you shared with us. Is it really true that Echo Park is gentrifying? Or is this anomalous building simply out of place?

I also am admittedly a fan of some of the Mediterranean-inspired stuff going up. Not all, just some.
The building's size and current vintage are indeed out of place compared to the rest of the nabe. However, that's not to say that EP isn't gentrifying (amidst the recession, too!). Based on what I've seen, in EP, the gentrification manifests itself in the form(s) of bungalow renovations, new coffee shop and restaurant openings, along with the ever-ubiquitous kitschy thrift stores and nighttime hipster hang-outs, far more often than it does in new condo developments. Hipster transplants and people priced out of Silverlake/Los Feliz seem to especially be leading the now well-established gentrification process. Interestingly enough, yuppies are now pricing out many original pioneers, of whom are now moving into the frontiers of Highland Park, Boyle Heights, EHO and Koreatown. I think it's safe to say that, for the most part, small-scale renovations and adaptive re-uses (even among Mid-Century Modern!) tend to characterize LA's unique brand of gentrification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Meh. I still like the post streamline stuff. Especially in more denser areas.
LOL, where besides Wilshire between Hauser and La Brea can you even find "post-streamline" architecture? Assuming you're referring to the style exemplified in the previous building I posted, that is.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 4:25 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Interesting. I'd love to see some more examples of such gentrification in your future photo threads.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 6:13 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Hmm, KOTL? What does that stand for?
KOTL = KingOfTheHill

What can I say? I like to shorten things.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 4:09 PM
Sonoma Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
KOTL = KingOfTheHill

What can I say? I like to shorten things.
shouldnt it be 'koth'? or am i totally missing something here?!?

nice developments pictured here, post streamline and not

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations