HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 2:57 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This is cute, Irish guy thought Newfoundlanders were mocking his accent at first.

Quote:
On the most eastern edge of North America, the people are warm and funny, profusely proud of their homeland and love nothing better than a get together, a chat and a singsong. Little wonder, then, that almost a quarter of the population claims Irish ancestry.

I was there for five days, and I was as taken aback to hear Wexford and Waterford accents by the end of the trip as I was the very first time I thought I was being imitated.

Despite the accents, it is a Canadian province – at least according to 51 per cent of the voters in a 1948 referendum – and it retains the Canadian stereotypes you’d expect to find on your travels. Think moose, beavers and vast woodland.

That afternoon I make my way back to St John’s, a charming place with a slight hipster vibe. The city’s unique layout is largely the result of quick rebuilding in the aftermath of two great fires in 1846 and 1892. The oldest streets in the new world run into each other rather aimlessly here, there's what must be the longest crosswalk in any world, while little jelly bean houses line the hilly streets.

George’s Street in St John’s is a bit like a great night out in Galway during summer – bars running into bars and live music in each of them. O’Reilly’s is a huge venue and the heartbeat of “the craic”. Yes, they say it here too. Brenda O’Reilly became the first female bar owner on the street in 1996, and along with Craig Flynn they now seem to own half of it. You'll do well to meet a more friendly and hardworking couple.

The following day I had an early dinner in Mussels on the Corner, which is also owned by O’Reilly, and serves traditional Newfoundland food. The region’s most traditional dish of all is called “Jiggs dinner” which is not that dissimilar to our bacon and cabbage - and so I tried one of their specials, Jiggs dinner mussels. It hit the spot.
https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...X16Peh1_N2weL4

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada