HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 2:23 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
One for you, Acajack...

So, this song is original by a Serbian singer named Marija Serifovic. She's a very technical, impressive singer and she's kind of like Sia or Mariah Carey where only a minority of even good singers can actually recreate her music:
Marija Serifovic's voice immediately made me think of Lara Fabian, a "Belgo-Québécoise" singer. In the early stages of her career, while she was still based in Europe, she noticed her record sales in Quebec were through the roof. So decided to come over here and check out what was up with that. And ended up relocating here permanently. She's been here ever since - 20-30 years?

Here is Lara:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm5S43YC2uo

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Marija Serifovic's voice immediately made me think of Lara Fabian, a "Belgo-Québécoise" singer. In the early stages of her career, while she was still based in Europe, she noticed her record sales in Quebec were through the roof. So decided to come over here and check out what was up with that. And ended up relocating here permanently. She's been here ever since - 20-30 years?

Here is Lara:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm5S43YC2uo
I've not heard much of her in recent years. Is she still performing? Istm that her voice would be a bit powerful for today's insipid song stylings.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 2:42 PM
613er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So decided to come over here and check out what was up with that. And ended up relocating here permanently. She's been here ever since - 20-30 years?
I did some research because it's been quite some time since I'd heard anything about her, and it turns out she indeed lived in Quebec in the 1990's, then moved to Belgium and ended up staying there for 15 years. She moved back to Quebec last year.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 3:01 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I did some research because it's been quite some time since I'd heard anything about her, and it turns out she indeed lived in Quebec in the 1990's, then moved to Belgium and ended up staying there for 15 years. She moved back to Quebec last year.
OK, thanks! I am pretty sure about my part of the story where she initially moved here on a whim because people here were most receptive to her music.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 3:05 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I've not heard much of her in recent years. Is she still performing? Istm that her voice would be a bit powerful for today's insipid song stylings.
For quite a while she was widely considered to be a close second to Céline for the post powerful Quebec voice of her generation. Like Le Calmar I haven't heard much from her in recent years. Though it seems like she has been doing the occasional album and most definitely has been touring as well. I think she was also a judge on La Voix or La Voix Junior in Quebec, and shows up on talk shows periodically.

(She also did a semi-risqué pictorial in Paris Match in recent years.)

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 8:50 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I don't have many insights into the culture shock of moving to Ontario these days, or its particular stereotypes, so this thread on Twitter was fun. He lived here for about a decade, but moved back to Ontario and now writes for the Financial Post.

Comments have been cute...

But the original thread that the comment James pulled out was more entertaining.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 11:29 PM

Unless things have changed, midnight would be late to arrive at a bar in Ottawa, if you're planning a "one and done" evening. The herd tends to arrive at 11pm - you used to be able set your watch by it.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 12:56 AM
Identity Condiment

Fuck you go to a bar a midnight you've only got like 90 minutes to do anything.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 1:10 AM

I can't tell you how many times when I was younger where I called a cab around 1230 and was just rolling into downtown around 1am.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:13 PM

Sure most clubs in St. John's don't even open until 11pm. I worked at a club once and we would have tourists waiting outside for the doors to open then we would have to explain that it will not be dead all night, most people will show up at 12:30. Sure enough many would leave at like 12 and at 12:30 the place would be packed with locals lol.

Due to a change in recent years to liquor laws this does not really happen anymore (now bars that sell alcohol have to have everyone off the premises no later than an hour after last call, last call is 3am so everywhere has to be empty by 4am), before this the george street bars would close at 3am and then everyone would head to the water street bars and after hours clubs which closed at around 6am.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:17 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Obviously the bar and nightclub arrival time tends to be around 3 hours before closing time in most places.

In Ontario, when they used to close at 1 am, this meant we used to go out around 10 pm. If you were close to the Quebec border, if it was a big night out you'd go out on your side of the border at 10-10:30 and then leave for Quebec around 12:30 and then stay there until 2:30-3 am.

But people who only went out in Quebec generally wouldn't leave home until 11:30 or midnight.

These days with the Ontario closing time now set at 2 am, an 11 pm outing time for most people seems to be the norm.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:36 PM
sick transit, gloria

Just to clarify, last call in Ontario is 2am, not closing time. You can usually stick around an hour or so. Although many places use this as an excuse to close at 2. I don't really go to clubs, but most smaller bars that have dancing I know don't really get busy until closer to midnight here.

Guessing this may get changed to later sooner than later, as it's rare there's a weekend in Toronto now where there aren't a dozen or so bars with "special events" permits allowing service until 4am. And of course there's illegal after-hours places everywhere.

Those tweets seemed like a distinctly... Ottawa thing. Regardless, too old for all that stuff now - day drinking on weekends is much better! I like to be in bed by 1 on weekends nowadays, or at least having a nightcap at home.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:43 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Yea, 2 am is pretty standardized all around for last call over here. It works for the locals like myself, and the bar workers.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:49 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Just to clarify, last call in Ontario is 2am, not closing time. You can usually stick around an hour or so. Although many places use this as an excuse to close at 2. I don't really go to clubs, but most smaller bars that have dancing I know don't really get busy until closer to midnight here.

Guessing this may get changed to later sooner than later, as it's rare there's a weekend in Toronto now where there aren't a dozen or so bars with "special events" permits allowing service until 4am. And of course there's illegal after-hours places everywhere.

Those tweets seemed like a distinctly... Ottawa thing. Regardless, too old for all that stuff now - day drinking on weekends is much better! I like to be in bed by 1 on weekends nowadays, or at least having a nightcap at home.
Thanks for these points.

I'd add though that in many bars, "last call" is usually anywhere between 15 and 30 minutes before the actual time they have to stop selling alcohol. So if they close at 2, the DJ makes the last call announcement sometime between 1:30 and 1:45.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 8:50 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

So... all of them?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 2:33 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Did North Battleford make the cut this year?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 8:23 AM

Magic touch: Edmonton cafe builds gingerbread replica of Hogwarts castle

Sweet, edible creation built to inspire Christmas charity for homeless
CBC News · Posted: Nov 17, 2018

A gingerbread version of Hogwarts castle from the Harry Potter movies was built by the owners and staff of Duchess Bake Shop. (CBC)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...Hd96CXJmt9lrwo

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 4:55 PM

Esi Edugyan, has won this year's $100,000 Scotiabank Giller Prize (the second time she has won) for her novel Washington Black, which was also a finalist for the 2018 Man Booker Prize.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 4:17 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Black Friday. Ugh.

Top story about Trudeau knowing the lyrics to the Ryans and the Pittmans. Ugh.

Second headline about how much my neighbourhood sucks. Ugh

What a great news day. Btw largest oil spill in our history is ongoing offshore and we have a public inquiry in session regarding the Lower Churchill project. Latest revelations - Hydro Quebec and Hydro Ontario wanted to develop it jointly but province said no to go it alone.

Media will get to that when they're done with the cow that jumped a fence and died in Conception Bay South.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 10:29 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Snitches.

'Large-scale party' dubbed Project X prompts police warning

Apparently, St. John's teens have big plans this Friday night

Quote:
Apparently, young people in St. John's are planning a massive party for Friday night.

So large, in fact, the police have issued a warning to parents.

The party has been dubbed Project X on social media, the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary said in a release, and is apparently happening in the east end of St. John's on Nov. 23.

"So far, investigators have learned that the party plans include hosting persons from the age of 14 to mid-twenties and will involve alcohol, cannabis, illicit drugs and other dangerous and criminal activities," the RNC said in its release.

The public is also being reminded that providing cannabis and alcohol to anyone under 19 is illegal.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...hgXRTqxagbDm-E

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada