HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 6:41 AM

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 12:09 AM

Time to play catch-up...

June 26 & 27

July 21

July 28

Aug 2

Aug 3

Final cladding or mock-up?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 7:54 AM

Iphone pics from today (can't wait to see that Albina bank bldg come down!):

Canopy + Dianne from the post office site. You can really imagine this part of town being one of the coolest areas of the city in 10 or 15 years.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Iphone pics from today (can't wait to see that Albina bank bldg come down!)
Demolition permit approved to issue

I know, I can't wait either.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Canopy Restaurant Will Open in the Pearl’s Canopy Hotel This May

Canopy, a boutique lifestyle hotel by Hilton, should open sometime this spring, according to general manager Mark Strelcheck, and when it does, it’ll be anchored by a restaurant, also named Canopy, which will be overseen by former Lincoln and Ray chef de cuisine Sara Woods.

The 10-story 153-room hotel, located at 425 NW 9th, could open the first week of May.

Woods says her kitchen will share space with the restaurant’s cocktail bar, creating an open kitchen chef’s counter built around a gas-fired pizza oven that will burn as hot as 800 degrees.
...continues at the Portland Mercury.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 5:25 PM

https://www.oregonlive.com/expo/news...opy_by_hi.html

Quote:
First look at new Canopy by Hilton hotel in Pearl District
By Elliot Njus | The Oregonian/OregonLive | Posted June 26, 2018 at 10:00 AM

The latest of Portland's steady stream of new hotels opens Thursday, this one in the Pearl District.

It's the third hotel to open in the Pearl, and the Hilton by Canopy brand makes it the most upscale to date. It's also one of the first hotels to open under the new brand, which Hilton announced in 2014 with Portland as one of its first chosen markets.

Hilton said no two of the hotels would be the same, and each would reflect the neighborhood where it was located. In Portland, that's reflected in the use of locally produced Nossa Familia coffee, furnishings upholstered with Pendleton Woolen Mills fabrics and art curated by the nearby Elizabeth Leach Gallery.

The hotel, at 425 N.W. Ninth Ave., will also host artists during First Thursdays, the Pearl District's monthly art walk.

Portland has added thousands of new hotel rooms in a building boom that began in 2012, with more still under construction. That's led to the first decline in average occupancy in years, according to the travel industry research firm STR. But despite an increase in empty rooms, revenue per room continued to rise.

The 153-room Canopy hotel is expected to open with rates starting in the mid-200s.

Here's a look inside:
...(continues)

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 7:18 PM

Quote:
A crinkle in time: visiting ZGF's Canopy by Hilton Pearl District

BY BRIAN LIBBY

Although all buildings are basically some variation on four walls and a roof, you never know what part of a design, if any, will stand out and why. Some architecture is successful because it's designed from the inside-out, considering function over form. Other buildings make pretty objects: nice to look at like a piece of sculpture from outside but unremarkable on the inside.

When I first arrived for a tour of the new Canopy by Hilton Pearl District, a 153-room, 10-story hotel on NW Ninth Avenue and Glisan Street in the Pearl District, I wanted to get inside as soon as humanly possible because of the summer heat. The air conditioning thankfully seemed to work despite their leaving the doors open, but in my grenade-pin's-been-pulled haste to escape the outdoor conditions, I initially skipped over what turned out to be my favorite aspect of the design: its facade. Luckily Josh Peacock and Amy Perenchio from ZGF Architects, which designed the exterior of the building, were there to take me on a tour.

The facade alternates strips of floor-to-ceiling glass with panels of aluminum that have been given a custom "print," as it's called, that makes it resemble bronze, with an earthy sheen. Working with a Minnesota-based supplier called Pure + FreeForm to adapt a material process that originated in Japan. The panels are crinkled every seven-eighths of an inch, which creates a subtle pattern of light and shadow on the exterior. That made the product more expensive, so the architects chose a thinner gauge. Since visiting the project, I've compared the panels to Ruffles potato chips and to the filter for my apartment's furnace. Neither comparison is quite right, but the fact that the panels are visually interesting enough to prompt such comparison says something in and of itself. Let's just say the crinkle was worth it.
...continues at Portland Architecture.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 6:47 PM
A before E

I am gonna have to disagree with Brian Libby about the facade, it looks awful. It reminds me of a bad 80's office building that tried to use a glass and concrete facade unsuccessfully and ended up with a building that looks like it was made for a wrecking ball.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 12:11 AM

I have to say, urbanlife, that I agree with you. The panels, especially from a distance, bring to mind the Marriott Courtyard tower pre-renovation. Remember that gem? The panels are a cool idea, and it helps to know the process, but it doesn't translate at street level.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 5:11 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
I have to say, urbanlife, that I agree with you. The panels, especially from a distance, bring to mind the Marriott Courtyard tower pre-renovation. Remember that gem? The panels are a cool idea, and it helps to know the process, but it doesn't translate at street level.
Oh yes, I remember that building very well from back in the day, and definitely reminds me of that. It is the building where I once ran into a crackhead that had a crackwhore "helping him find his glasses" as he zipped up his pants. Ah yes, Old Portland.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtraveler View Post
Wow, I noticed on the Land Use Intake report today two new hotels for the Pearl. One at 1202 NW Irving and one at 485 NW 9th, which I am guessing is next to the Canopy and kitty corner from the Hampton. They just keep coming!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
My guess is that the one at 485 NW 9th isn't a new hotel, but is a new design review for the purpose of removing this condition of approval from the now built Canopy Hotel:
Quote:
The western wall at the property line may be clad in metal panel if the abutting parcel to the west is redeveloped to fully cover this portion of the facade; if construction on the adjacent parcel to the west has not broken ground within six months of the Certificate of Occupancy being issued for the subject site (Canopy Hotel), then the bronze, folded aluminum panels originally proposed and found throughout the other facades, must be installed on this portion of the west façade.
This has now been submitted for design review, confirming that it's not another new hotel:

Quote:
The Canopy Hotel is an existing 11-story, 153 room hotel in the Pearl District. The request is to remove condition of approval and allow existing cladding on west facade to remain.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 8:35 PM

Design Commission voted yesterday to remove the previous condition of approval, and allow the west wall cladding to remain in place.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland