HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 6:01 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

These are not new projects but a locally well-known person who did great heritage restoration projects, Hal Forbes, passed away a little while ago. Noticed in Nova Scotia posted a few examples of his work. These are what you might call creative restorations; they are examples of reconstructing ornamentation that similar buildings might have had at one time.

I love these buildings and wish every old rowhouse covered in vinyl siding in North End Halifax could get this sort of treatment (or maybe 3/4 of them, with 1/4 getting modern overhauls).

This old building that used to be tucked under the Macdonald bridge was also mentioned. Look at how great it was:

It was actually a strange shape and was in this state back in the 60's or 70's:

The full post is here: https://halifaxbloggers.ca/noticedin...not-forgotten/

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 12:31 PM

That Halifax 'Tramway Building' looks very modern for 1916.

(Just to make sure my comment is not misinterpreted - I mean that as a compliment; it's therefore more architecturally interesting than the average 1916 commercial building. Some of Chicago's early skyscrapers also stood out for being really ahead of their time, that's what it reminds me of, a bit. I certainly don't mean I think the datation can't be correct.)

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 4:02 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yes, it's a great little building. I think it is undervalued somewhat because concrete construction became so popular by the 1960's, but in the 1910's it would have been cutting edge modern. It has not been well-maintained over the years either; it has ugly storefronts and lost portions of detailing. There is another exposed concrete building downtown from around 1900 and that one might be the first of its kind in Canada.

Halifax is packed with gems like this that were standouts in their day. It had some great architects like Andrew Cobb during the ~1900-1940 period, and before them there were generations of Scottish stonemasons that migrated to the city and built amazing stuff. If you want to see the origins of this have a look at Glasgow in streetview.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 4:33 PM

The Chicago style had a brief but substantial impact here and Barrington Street in particular still reflects that.

Halifax has really benefited over the years by having its own architecture school.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 8:30 PM

For interest's sake, here's a photo previously posted in the Halifax section.

Date is approx 1957, and you can see the Tramway Bldg. in the background, showing some of the detail that has been lost over the years.

Source

Compare to the more recent photo posted by Hali87 on the previous page of this thread:

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 9:22 PM

This pool/gym is housed in what used to be the chapel of the Sainte-Jeanne d'Arc sisterhood's Motherhouse in Quebec City. I do not have pics of the rest of the project but if it is up to par with this pool, it will be splendid.

https://www.facebook.com/Stephane.Gr...eJw1zpjcrCM054

The project:

https://www.ccm2.ca/projet/domaine-sillery

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 3:55 AM

Last edited by Architype; Today at 3:02 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 3:49 PM

That pool inside the former church nave sure is cool, but it looks like it will be a nightmare to build and maintain.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 9:26 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
That pool inside the former church nave sure is cool, but it looks like it will be a nightmare to build and maintain.
Yea. no kidding. It looks rather unappealing just by it's layout alone....along with the thought of putting a pool into a traditionally religious space.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 10:10 PM

I just can't think of a worse place to put an indoor pool than an old wooden church nave with stained glass windows. The humidity generated by thousands of litres of evaporating water every year must be insane, not to mention the temperature difference between inside and outside half the year. I look at that and all I see is astronomical condo fees in ten years' time.

Old Posted Today, 2:06 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's a picture of the recently-resorted St. Paul's Building on Barrington Street in Halifax. I think it used to have a cornice and clock on top, but it's still interesting without those details.

It is from the 1890's. The one on the left is circa 1830 and the one on the right is circa 1760. The visible foundation stones were supposedly taken from Louisbourg.

Source

Old Posted Today, 2:46 AM

Sorry to be negative (by Canadian standards, I guess we should already be grateful it wasn't razed and replaced by a standalone Tim Horton's with drive thru) but... first off, the bars-less windows suck, but worst of all is the architectural treatment of the cornice - that stupid blank 'headband' is horrible, what were they thinking? (ran out of budget? couldn't just restore/keep original cornice detail?)

The top, correctly done, should look somewhat like this:

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada