HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 7:44 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

So, there is a building under construction on Barbur near Hooker, on the west side of the street. It is topped out @4 floors and they are installing the windows. Guessing its getting pretty close to being finished. I never read about it on the forums before. LRS architecture, but I cannot find anything on the interwebs.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 10:06 PM

I think those are apartments that were mentioned here maybe once, long ago. I remember seeing a design review notice - maybe two years back?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 10:42 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
So, there is a building under construction on Barbur near Hooker, on the west side of the street. It is topped out @4 floors and they are installing the windows. Guessing its getting pretty close to being finished. I never read about it on the forums before. LRS architecture, but I cannot find anything on the interwebs.
Isn't that the rendering in this same thread two months ago, comment #114?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 12:10 AM

Looks like it. I was talking about something else.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 1:48 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

The building I saw was not on a corner lot...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 1:38 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Large project under construction next to the MAX tunnel. Looked like they were working on the foundation. They have excavated the site and have a large tower crane on site.

Sorry, didn't have enough time to pull out my camera. Was on the MAX speeding by it!

Anyway, it is this project:

http://djcoregon.com/news/2011/12/14...-goose-hollow/

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 7:19 PM

Apr 14, 2014, 10:43am PDT
Goose Hollow residents pledge to fight Mill Creek project
Wendy Culverwell
Staff Reporter- Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...T&t=1397500960
Quote:
Goose Hollow residents have united to fight Mill Creek Residential Trust's plan to construct apartments on a park-like site owned by the Multnomah Athletic Club.

Friends of Goose Hollow LLC is asking the city to reject the developer's request to rezone Block 7 from residential to commercial.

Mill Creek, led locally by Sam Rodriguez, wants to build 260 to 280 rental units above a below-grade parking garage that would serve both residents and visitors to the neighboring MAC Club, 1849 S.W. Salmon St.

It needs the rezone to accommodate the extra parking and six short-stay units being constructed for the MAC club. The apartment building itself could be constructed under the current zoning, which was approved in 1995.

Goose Hollow residents fear the massive excavation could put the neighborhood at risk of landslides and cite the recent Oso, Wash. landslide as reason for alarm.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 8:20 PM

From the linked article:

Quote:
Goose Hollow residents fear the massive excavation could put the neighborhood at risk of landslides and cite the recent Oso, Wash. landslide as reason for alarm.
I'd be pretty pissed if I was a Goose Hollow resident and being lumped in with such a stupid statement. Apparently citing completely unrelated disasters is a valid argument. This deserved mockery in the article not just an opinion rebuttal. They should have called the engineers for an opinion, but it's hard to quote an eye roll and someone smacking their forehead I guess.

The re-zoning doesn't allow for anything to be built that can't be already, just the usage changes to allow the MAC use.

The opposition seems to be a great mixture of stupidity, nimbyism, and wanting their free ponies. Instead of opposing the project the neighborhood should use the requirement to re-zone to negotiate better design or other factors that would help the neighborhood. If they succeed it's not like the MAC is going to graciously make it a public park for them. They will probably just sell the lot to be developed anyways and find a solution somewhere else.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 10:38 PM
Karma Police

Wow!!! Are they really THAT stupid? I truly hate people like that, who will use a tragedy like Oso (or 9/11, or whatever) to try to stop progress because they are afraid of change. Hurry up and die, you miserable f*****s, so the rest of us can try to improve this world.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 7:24 PM
PearlHelp.com

John's Landing getting apartments:
http://www.gres.com/Apartments/module/press_releases

(unable to paste direct link)

Forgive me if somebody already posted in regards to this...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 7:48 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Classic quote:

"It's an engineering issue and we have engineers," he said.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 6:24 AM

Early Assistance document [PDF - 2MB] for a new 8 story apartment building at SW 15th and Taylor. It's a fairly uninspired design, but I think it would nice to see some development in that area.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 12:12 PM

Well, that area definitely needs some investment. It reminds me a bit of the Park 19 building in NW. But, really, 8 stories? So, just beyond the limit that requires concrete construction? This'll be 6 if it's ever built.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 2:56 PM

They might go the tubular steel route, like they did at PSU. They can go up to the teens with that method if I'm not mistaken.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 6:52 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Anything above 5 over 1 requires Type 1 or 2 construction (non-combustible), so yeah, no wood framing. Must be concrete or steel. Unless they change the building codes, like they are doing in Europe to allow heavy timber framing high-rises. [relevant link]

I forget where I read it, but there was an article recently about construction firms and architects switching to light-gauge steel framing that fills the gap between 6 story and highrise construction while being affordable. Maybe it was on this site, not sure.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 6:31 PM

Jefferson Street Flats in Goose Hollow -- Construction Update

JEFFERSON STREET FLATS (Design Review doc here)
--located just west of the Goose Hollow MAX stop (and the Methodist Church)
--134 apartment units
--7 stories tall
--121 buried parking spaces
--completion end of 2014

The rare construction crane sprouting in Goose Hollow

Excavation and foundation work (adjacent Goose Hollow MAX stop)

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 11:35 PM

This may not be the correct thread for this so I apologize if its not but I've been curious about the 735 st Clair apartment building, can't find much stats on it, height, history, etc. it looks quite tall! But then again it's on a hill.. Just wondering how tall it is

Any info on the building and other high rises on the west burnside area would be appreciated! Find it really curious that there are quite a bit of high rises in that area, yet another micro-skyline for Portland ha

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riterpdx View Post
This may not be the correct thread for this so I apologize if its not but I've been curious about the 735 st Clair apartment building, can't find much stats on it, height, history, etc. it looks quite tall! But then again it's on a hill.. Just wondering how tall it is

Any info on the building and other high rises on the west burnside area would be appreciated! Find it really curious that there are quite a bit of high rises in that area, yet another micro-skyline for Portland ha
According to Emporis, it is 316.47 feet tall.

http://www.emporis.com/building/735-...ortland-or-usa

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riterpdx View Post

I live at the 735 St Clair and I both share your curiosity and feel frustrated at getting good information about it. I assume its original name was the Panorama Apartments, that it was the tallest building in Portland when it was constructed in 1951, and that its architectural pedigree might either be termed late Moderne or Bauhaus. I would love to get an architect's perspective on this. The Wikipedia page on Portland high-rises doesn't even list it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lest_buildings

There are about 10 buildings of this genre in Goose Hollow and NW, all apartments. They're very well-built, spacious, and some have spectacular views (The NE corner units of the 735 St Clair above the 10th floor have stunning views). The Portland and Celio buildings in Goose Hollow are apparent twins.

Portland had a post-war urban residential boom that was remarkable in a city its size. It's a good reminder that the city's success in this way was quite organic. You might not love the mix-and-match flavor of Goose Hollow, for example, but it clearly shows Portland's continuity and urban vibrancy. BTW, the Whole Foods on NE Sandy has a mural - apparently taken from a post-card - that depicts Goose Hollow in delicious detail in the 1950s. It's in the rear of the store by the rest rooms.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 5:09 PM

MAC apartment complex is Ok'd at 19th and Main.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland