HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
I second this...
Third, There are lots of places for political discussions, few for information on CPT.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 11:15 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastK View Post
What does everyone here think about increasing the PST one point and using that cash for roads?? I would be willing to pay that if it means not having to stop at as many traffic lights. And would it be politically viable?
We know it wouldn't be used for roads because that's supposed to be what gas taxes are paying for . Since they're not putting that cash back into roads , it's a pretty safe bet that increased taxes in the name of funding road improvements won't go towards roads either .

CPT is a public/private partnership . That alone tells you something about how much money the city has to spend . The fact that any jurisdiction has to look for more efficient ways to pay for necessary improvements tells us that they don't have the cash to begin with .

Whatever leg of the CPT is completed next won't (and shouldn't) come from increased taxes .

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 12:14 PM
Heart of the Continent

Actually, Manitoba puts every dime of gas tax back into roads....x2.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 4:59 PM

The cash has to come from somewhere. If we are tired of the city half assing projects like the Chief Peguis then maybe we need to look for a new source of revenue. If anyone has a chance to take a bike ride around the CPT then do it. This was a project done on the cheap and I have never seen a major road construction done as poorly as this. Take a look at the brick looking styrafoam noise walls. I do think people would be willing to pay more for better roads if they could see a tangible improvement over what we have now.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 9:23 PM

Quote:
The cash has to come from somewhere. If we are tired of the city half assing projects like the Chief Peguis then maybe we need to look for a new source of revenue. If anyone has a chance to take a bike ride around the CPT then do it. This was a project done on the cheap and I have never seen a major road construction done as poorly as this. Take a look at the brick looking styrafoam noise walls. I do think people would be willing to pay more for better roads if they could see a tangible improvement over what we have now.
you make a good point about construction quality, but i don't think the average person cares about what materials they use... they just want to see NO TRAFFIC LIGHT. Unfortunately, its the same problem; you need more money for quality and quantity.

Can't wait to see the MAJOR mess that the CPT intersections on Henderson and Lag are about to become.

Release the hounds!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 9:57 PM

double post.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 1:20 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Actually, Manitoba puts every dime of gas tax back into roads....x2.
Because they put so little into it for decades that they now have a serious infrastructure problem . Not that the feds are blameless here in any regard either . The provinces simply followed their lead .

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 1:38 AM
Heart of the Continent

Manitoba put pretty close to what was collected in gas taxes every year back into roads. Now they put much more, because the gas tax doesn't cover it.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 3:45 AM

Quote:
The noise barriers really are a joke, more like very cheap fencing. It doesn't stop our councillor from basking in the glory of getting this project done. He also uses the CP extension as an excuse for the vote on a 10% plus bus fare increase, claiming he had to support it to pay back the support he received on the CP extension.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 4:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donwood View Post
The noise barriers really are a joke, more like very cheap fencing. It doesn't stop our councillor from basking in the glory of getting this project done. He also uses the CP extension as an excuse for the vote on a 10% plus bus fare increase, claiming he had to support it to pay back the support he received on the CP extension.
Browaty truly is a tool!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 10:05 PM

December 2 now the tentative opening date for the CPT extension/

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 10:30 PM
BANNED

Noticed that the traffic lights are already flashing at Lag. and the CPT extension.

Wonder how well the second rate job they did on the extension will hold up, the first section (Henderson to Main) done properly and paved with concrete is still pretty good 21 years in. Will the asphalt on the extension last 5 years? 10? or will they be replacing the whole thing with concrete in 10 years?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 5:20 PM

We should take bets on it! Anyone notice they are using the same asphalt construction for the approaches to the new Disraeli? That probably wont last more then 2 winters.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 8:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
We should take bets on it! Anyone notice they are using the same asphalt construction for the approaches to the new Disraeli? That probably wont last more then 2 winters.
I would assume those asphalt approaches are just temporary.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 9:21 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

if they do the foundation properly it could be just fine and depends what type of ashfault they use.....

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 11:16 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I would assume those asphalt approaches are just temporary.
sorry, they are not temporary. That will be the finished road surface. I explained this before. It is because it is a P3 project and the contractor has to maintain the work and hand it over to the city in 25 or 30 years at a certain level or condition. With asphalt they can just mill it down before handover and resurface to a like new condition, fulfilling the contract and saving money.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donwood View Post
The noise barriers really are a joke, more like very cheap fencing.
I don't get why they didn't use the same concrete noise barriers like the CPT bridge already has in place. *sigh*

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by original View Post
I don't get why they didn't use the same concrete noise barriers like the CPT bridge already has in place. *sigh*
As has been mentioned before, it's a P3 - the contractor is going to build and maintain this thing as cheaply as possible, using methods they see fit. P3s have minimum requirements they are required to meet - rarely are these minimums exceeded.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 6:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by original View Post
Everything about the CPT extension was done on the cheap and half assed, why would the noise barrier be anything different. Can't wait until the disturbed youth have their go at it, don't think it stands much of a chance.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Everything about the CPT extension was done on the cheap and half assed, why would the noise barrier be anything different. Can't wait until the disturbed youth have their go at it, don't think it stands much of a chance.
One person can easily lift one of those barriers. A friend and I tried! We thought the same thing. Just wait till gate night.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan