HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 12:57 PM

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 1:05 PM
It's Hammer Time

188 Cannon Street East | ? | 26 fl | Potential Development -> 188 Cannon Street East | 100.3m | 32 fl | Proposed

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 1:21 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

At that height it will firmly expand the skyline/downtown. Very nice.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 3:25 PM
Ham-burgher

Skyline is one thing. Will it look like generic crap is what I wonder. And these massive podiums don't exactly make for a pleasant street-level experience... Most of Cannon St. is already challenged enough in that regard.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 3:36 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Skyline is one thing. Will it look like generic crap is what I wonder. And these massive podiums don't exactly make for a pleasant street-level experience... Most of Cannon St. is already challenged enough in that regard.
They should partner with core urban for the podiums - otherwise its just gonna be as you said, garbage.

these developers don't seem to understand people live here, and prefer to see something nice at street level - no-one IN the city cares what the glassy towers look like from far away if there is literally nothing but endless glass to look at at street level.

I mean what's the point in the end - 90% of those windows then have blinds put in or are frosted so you can't see into them anyways.

You can tell the people who only care what the city looks like from far away vs those actually FROM here who actually WALK through the city and interact with it. Core urbans midrises speak with the street level - these are just cold monoliths.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
They should partner with core urban for the podiums - otherwise its just gonna be as you said, garbage.

these developers don't seem to understand people live here, and prefer to see something nice at street level - no-one IN the city cares what the glassy towers look like from far away if there is literally nothing but endless glass to look at at street level.

I mean what's the point in the end - 90% of those windows then have blinds put in or are frosted so you can't see into them anyways.
The #1 thing that would improve the podiums of these buildings is to stop making the first 4-5 floors parking. Design/architecture aside, haven floors 2-5 actually being used by residential units or amenity and retail at ground floor would greatly improve the feel at the pedestrian level.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 3:45 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
The #1 thing that would improve the podiums of these buildings is to stop making the first 4-5 floors parking. Design/architecture aside, haven floors 2-5 actually being used by residential units or amenity and retail at ground floor would greatly improve the feel at the pedestrian level.
Easier said than done - we have to remember we built this city, not on rock and roll, but on several underground rivers. It's definitely cheaper to build above ground. Mind you if you have to walk past several huge monolithic podiums just to get to any sort of retail there isn't much incentive to erase parking completely.

But yes, you are correct. But that's the trend now - every giant monolith has to have 2-5 stories of parking.. they try to stick it in the midlde or back and have the front be retail still but.. eh..

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 4:51 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I really don't think there's any real harm to parking in a podium. As long as there's good street level interaction underneath with some shops or the like and then have a fairly nice exterior then it doesn't matter what's behind the walls. I don't have x-ray vision to figure out if that's a gym or a garage up there. (One of the nicer podiums in downtown Ottawa is, I think, above ground parking. And I only figured that out by looking at the ramp leading into the building.)

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 8:19 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
As long as there's good street level interaction underneath with some shops or the like and then have a fairly nice exterior then it doesn't matter what's behind the walls

And THAT is the kind of thing the "design review panel" should focus on.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:01 AM
Hamilton Historian

We just want pretty things lol

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton