HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 2:45 PM

Great news about all the renovations at Loyola. Monroe is incredibly ugly so looking forward to seeing that transformation.

Looks like the Planters urban park in Central City is finished now too.

http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/kraft/49339/

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 4:08 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
http://www.loyno.edu/assets/blogs/do...NALBOTcomp.pdf

That link will take you to the university's master plan. Very ambitious but much of it is underway already. The 2 story addition to the West Road Garage was recently completed and I'd estimate that Thomas hall is about 70% complete. I believe they've already floated either the entirety of the bond issue necessary or it is at least the majority of it...

You will see renderings of all the buildings they will build / renovate including Monroe (terrible). It looks like the new student center and renovated Monroe Hall will most closely resemble the recently built (last decade) Monroe Library (different from Monroe hall).

I strongly encourage you to google street view Monroe hall. You could put in 1874 Calhoun St or so.
I myself graduated from Loyola in 2008 in Economics.

BTW I had always heard that the reason the girl was allowed to design Monroe was because her Dad donated a lot of money.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 4:11 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolacat157 View Post
Great news about all the renovations at Loyola. Monroe is incredibly ugly so looking forward to seeing that transformation.

This is a really neat project. Now we know what all the peanut shaped benches were doing in there lol

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 4:39 PM

Planters / Loyola

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I myself graduated from Loyola in 2008 in Economics.

BTW I had always heard that the reason the girl was allowed to design Monroe was because her Dad donated a lot of money.
Interesting...never heard that to be honest, but wouldn't have been surprising.

Well I also graduated in 2008 in finance and economics....I'm willing to bet we know each other... (kinda of sarcastic, we obviously know each other)

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 8:20 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Interesting...never heard that to be honest, but wouldn't have been surprising.

Well I also graduated in 2008 in finance and economics....I'm willing to bet we know each other... (kinda of sarcastic, we obviously know each other)
Im sure we do know each other... lol... although I should have graduated in 2007 but Katrina set me back a semester...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 8:23 PM

Loyola 05 here so theres a lot of maroon on this board.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 11:49 PM
TL;DR

Quote:

Gotta go check this out. The windows are cool, but the peanut references are a joke.

What kind of a city do we live in where parks only exist to advertise products?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 2:03 PM

Do yall know what is going up on the corner of Leon C. Simon and Elysian Fields? I've been watching the progress and it seems to be coming together nicely, I just have no idea what it is.

By the way, I am in downtown Winston-Salem right now, and they have some nice buildings here, although I think they could learn a few things from us on livening up there downtown.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 3:38 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
Do yall know what is going up on the corner of Leon C. Simon and Elysian Fields? I've been watching the progress and it seems to be coming together nicely, I just have no idea what it is.

By the way, I am in downtown Winston-Salem right now, and they have some nice buildings here, although I think they could learn a few things from us on livening up there downtown.
Pretty sure thats the Mosquito
Termite Building

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 10:19 PM

I hope the mosquito building wont actually look like that. It's the ugliest building I've ever seen. How come Ben Franklin H.S. is being systematically surrounded by hideous buildings (yes, UNO dorm, I'm looking at you!)

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 4:49 AM

Yea it isn't the greatest. I had much higher hopes for that building as I felt that that parcel of land was a great location for something nice

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 3:17 PM

Really interesting article on the streetcar:

http://www.architectmagazine.com/pla...streetcar.aspx

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 5:22 PM
-

Quote:
Really interesting article on the streetcar:

http://www.architectmagazine.com/pla...streetcar.aspx
Great article! Nice to see New Orleans getting credit that it deserves, we don't get everything right but when we do we get it really right! One thing I will say about streetcars in other cities is that most of them are simply not dense enough to support it. New Orleans' streetcars actually feel like legitimate transportation. Recently in Tampa I took their streetcar... it was silly to be frank. No density on the route, it showed up very infrequently and well it just seemed like a cartoonish version of New Orleans. There was no authenticity in it and I'm sure its a money loser.

Also, here is a link to the new website for the St. Joe Lofts in the Warehouse District:

http://www.stjoelofts.com/

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 28, 2011 at 6:00 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 5:38 PM

Nice to see the streetcars get some respect. Do you have to be an artist to apply for the St. Joe lofts? Prices don't seem high enough AT ALL.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 5:59 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie himself View Post
Nice to see the streetcars get some respect. Do you have to be an artist to apply for the St. Joe lofts? Prices don't seem high enough AT ALL.
Reading the description there are 11 market rate units the rest are for artists. So if you qualify I urge you to apply... there is an application form on the website. Yes the prices are extremely low considering all thats offered, so a great deal if one can get it!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 7:14 PM

I've been trying to figure this out for some time...how does one prove that he/she is an artist?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 7:20 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I've been trying to figure this out for some time...how does one prove that he/she is an artist?
I guess you have to download the application... but it seems tax returns, business license etc would be logical. I guess the main requirement is that you make what could be considered art and sell it. Somewhat subjective I know!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 2:12 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Great article! Nice to see New Orleans getting credit that it deserves, we don't get everything right but when we do we get it really right! One thing I will say about streetcars in other cities is that most of them are simply not dense enough to support it. New Orleans' streetcars actually feel like legitimate transportation. Recently in Tampa I took their streetcar... it was silly to be frank. No density on the route, it showed up very infrequently and well it just seemed like a cartoonish version of New Orleans. There was no authenticity in it and I'm sure its a money loser.
To be honest, I feel the same way about our own streetcars sometimes. Of the people riding the St. Charles or Riverfront lines, how many are tourists and how many are actually locals who use the streetcar to get to work? The Canal line is really the only one that serves locals to any great extent.

I continue my one-man quest to get NORTA to consider modern streetcars for the new lines. Just because most American cities operate crappy, unpleasant buses doesn't mean that all modern designs are crappy. A modern low-floor streetcar is far more comfortable to board or to stand up in than any of New Orleans' historic cars, and they are accessible for handicapped and elderly people.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Reading the description there are 11 market rate units the rest are for artists. So if you qualify I urge you to apply... there is an application form on the website. Yes the prices are extremely low considering all thats offered, so a great deal if one can get it!
I'm not planning to move to New Orleans for another 2 years though. Those tenants will be a lucky bunch.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
To be honest, I feel the same way about our own streetcars sometimes. Of the people riding the St. Charles or Riverfront lines, how many are tourists and how many are actually locals who use the streetcar to get to work? The Canal line is really the only one that serves locals to any great extent.

I continue my one-man quest to get NORTA to consider modern streetcars for the new lines. Just because most American cities operate crappy, unpleasant buses doesn't mean that all modern designs are crappy. A modern low-floor streetcar is far more comfortable to board or to stand up in than any of New Orleans' historic cars, and they are accessible for handicapped and elderly people.
We really could use some modern streetcar lines in New Orleans. When I was in Europe visiting my brother in Montpellier, France, we used their brand new trams to get everywhere. These were so comfortable and had multiple entrances so there was no waiting time to get on the tram. Also, there were designated stops with ticket machines and digital signs with estimated arrival times. It was very professional and the whole time I couldn't stop thinking about how Nola could use this. I wouldn't want to see it on Saint Charles per se, but any new line could definitely use it. Canal would also do well with the new modern way of running streetcars.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations