HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 7:40 PM
BANNED

I'd prefer to see Brookfield's large tower rise before this one.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 10:48 PM

If it were capped, is that necessarily permanent? Or is it possible it could be partially disassembled and then have construction resume at a later date?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 9:01 AM
DENNAB

The article makes it sound like it would be capped at 7 stories forever, ie. the skyscraper will never be built.

But honestly, if towers 2 and 3 are never built it's not a surprise, considering the f*ckup the whole redevelopment has been so far did anyone actually expect more?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 10:35 AM
don't *meddle*...

^^ Everything will be built eventually, we just have to wait a little longer. I know that patience isn't everyone's strength but there's nothing we can do for now but hope for a big tenant to sign a lease. I'm sure that Larry is trying his best to get a tenant on the table; as far as I know he's devoted his life to complete the WTC.

By 2020 all will be good, for now let's focus on what we have: 1 and 4WTC. When those towers are completed we can watch 2 and 3 WTC rise. So yeah, there'll be always something to watch.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dense_Electric View Post
If it were capped, is that necessarily permanent? Or is it possible it could be partially disassembled and then have construction resume at a later date?
This is the base of the building that is under construction. The skyscraper is supposed to rise from the base, but if it isn't built then all we get is the 7 story base to look at.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 1:30 PM

Personally, tower 3 (as I beleive is the WTC registration for 175) feels out of place with the blue curtain walls. I don't however dislike it and it gives it a nice unique flavor that will be a pleasure to see.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlostoops View Post
Personally, tower 3 (as I beleive is the WTC registration for 175) feels out of place with the blue curtain walls. I don't however dislike it and it gives it a nice unique flavor that will be a pleasure to see.
The curtain walls aren't blue ¬_¬. The sky is blue, not the facade.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 3:52 PM

That's just sad, no one wants in on this? I still say they should have built Tower 2 before 4, the site will never look complete now until 2 and 3 are finished.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
That's just sad, no one wants in on this? I still say they should have built Tower 2 before 4, the site will never look complete now until 2 and 3 are finished.
It will look just fine. Credits to STR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I completely agree. It would have come a lot closer to regaining what was lost.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 6:31 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Someone tell me why when I was listening to 10:10 Wins this morning they were making such a big deal about 3WTC POSSIBLY not reaching 80 floors, BUT yet staying as a stump. Will someone please explain why society outside this forum is so stupid (No offense). It's OLD news, so why is the news and newspapers and radio people 1) So shocked and 2) Covering this NOW.

Last edited by THE BIG APPLE; Jan 24, 2012 at 2:57 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 9:13 PM
New Yorker for life

^ I actually agree with you there. I've been reading a lot, and listening to the news on tv. People seem to be "shocked!" that the tower may have to halt construction at the podium. Are these people just stupid, or did they genuinely not understand the 2010 agreement which specified this? Bunch of idiots. Let's all remember what I've quoted below.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/120129972
Silverstein still hopes to land 3 WTC tenant
Developer Larry Silverstein is talking with several potential occupants for the second of his planned Trade Center towers as he hopes to avoid capping it at seven stories.

By Theresa Agovino
January 23, 2012

Quote:
Developer Larry Silverstein said Monday that he is speaking with a number of potential tenants and is optimistic that he will sign a lease so he can complete the second of the two towers he is building at the World Trade Center site.

Mr. Silverstein's statement was in response to an article in Monday's Crain's, which said the developer is planning to halt construction of 3 World Trade Center by the end of the year and cap it at seven stories—73 short of its planned height—because he can't find a tenant, sources close to the company said.

“We are 100% committed and determined to build 3 World Trade Center to the top as quickly as possible,” said Mr. Silverstein, CEO of Silverstein Properties Inc., in a statement.

Other sources close to Mr. Silverstein said that that the podium won't be fully completed until some time next year since the company will still be working on the interiors. That would give Mr. Silverstein nearly two years to find a tenant or call a total halt.

http://www.observer.com/2012/01/silv...-trade-center/
3 World Trade Center Gambit: Silverstein Could Cut Tower Short

By Daniel Edward Rosen
January 23, 2012

Quote:
Due to a 2010 agreement between the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and Silverstein Properties, the developers of 3 World Trade Center and the surrounding complex, Mr. Silverstein has to have at least 10 of its 80 floors pre-leased to other tenants, or risk having the tower stand at the rather unimpressive height of seven stories.

There are currently four floors built at 3 World Trade Center. A person close to Silverstein Properties told The Commercial Observer that the developer still has the remainder of 2012 to pre-lease those ten floors. “There’s plenty of time to find a tenant and finish the tower,” said the source.

“We are 100 percent committed and determined to build 3 World Trade Center to the top as quickly as possible,” said Mr. Silverstein in a statement released earlier today. “We agreed to a plan in 2010 that requires us to pre-lease 10 floors of office space before moving forward with the full tower. We are currently speaking with a number of potential tenants and remain fully optimistic that we will sign a lease in time to complete the tower as scheduled in 2015. That agreement, which anticipated the completion of the podium in 2013, in no way prevents us from moving full steam ahead as soon as we secure a tenant.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 9:23 PM
World Machine

Those articles say it all - despite the hype that's been heard (and I've heard a lot of misinformed hype on WCBS 880) the developer is working diligently on locating a tenant in order to satisfy the minimum need to proceed.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 9:32 PM

With all the bad stuff in the past and now I am starting to think the World Trade Center site is cursed.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 9:37 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
With all the bad stuff in the past and now I am starting to think the World Trade Center site is cursed.
What curse? The WTC site isn't the only project facing these complications. If you take the time to read the above articles it can be clearly determined that the situation is a) not new, and b) not all doom and gloom.

Positives steps are being taken by the developer in order to meet the expectation - that combined with some 'optimism' will equal the right outcome.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 9:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Those articles say it all - despite the hype that's been heard (and I've heard a lot of misinformed hype on WCBS 880)
Yeah, it's amazing to me all that I've read and heard today, and a lot of it from the very same media that covered the story when the agreement was made! But I guess nothing sells a news story like another WTC "delay"... Imagine what will happen when they finally "realize" tower 2 isn't rising so soon.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 10:29 PM
World Machine

Funny - I was just listening to WCBS 880 and they corrected their reports from earlier today about the tower, reporting more along the lines of what was iterated in those above articles. They also went on to say that the PA is very 'supportive' of Larry and 'optimistic' that tenants will be located.

So a positive spin to a misinformed day.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 11:55 PM

Well this recent news regarding Tower 3 does not surprise me. However, if Silverstein lands a tenant then skyward we go otherwise we have to get used to that soon to be seven story podium. Just think back to early 2008, we can all remember how confidant Silverstein was that the entire complex would be finished by 2012 lol. I think once the podium gets going tenants will start to be interested because it will be rising above the ground. I mean once Tower 1 was heading up Conde Nast signed on and just recently they want a couple of more floors I heard so that's looking good. To be honest this Tower as well as Tower 2 should be the least of our concerns for now because all I want to see done right now is what's being built to full height, which are Towers 1 & 4.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 12:14 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

I'm surprised Silverstein only needs to lease 10 floors. He should be able to do that no problem in a year.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
I'm surprised Silverstein only needs to lease 10 floors. He should be able to do that no problem in a year.
He's been trying to lease the space for 5 years. That's what I mean, how can no one in the entire city want 10 floors? Is that really so much to ask for?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive