HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 8:56 AM

extra foods or no frills which is expanding into BC too small for superstore

there is roof top parking at least

from having no grocery stores to having loads of them in a couple years - crazy

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
extra foods or no frills which is expanding into BC too small for superstore

there is roof top parking at least

from having no grocery stores to having loads of them in a couple years - crazy
Ugh, that would be such a mis-step for the neighbourhood. I don't buy it that a low-end supermarket is going in to what is a fast-ascending neighbourhood, with minimal parking and way better choices just blocks away. Can anybody confirm such a rumour?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
Ugh, that would be such a mis-step for the neighbourhood. I don't buy it that a low-end supermarket is going in to what is a fast-ascending neighbourhood, with minimal parking and way better choices just blocks away. Can anybody confirm such a rumour?
Confirmed it is Loblaw's, not sure which brand.

I think either No Frills or Extra Foods would do quite well at that location.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 4:36 PM

Quote:
a grocery store is a grocery store. just because it's a rising neighbourhood doesn't mean people are willing to splurge on whole foods or meinhardt or capers. there's a 'low-end' grocery store in the complex on alma and 4th. i welcome the variety. and anyways, people will choose with their wallets and that will determine which is best for the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 5:03 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post

Disregard, deleted because I'm a moron.

Last edited by wrenegade; Aug 25, 2010 at 10:35 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
a grocery store is a grocery store. just because it's a rising neighbourhood doesn't mean people are willing to splurge on whole foods or meinhardt or capers. there's a 'low-end' grocery store in the complex on alma and 4th. i welcome the variety. and anyways, people will choose with their wallets and that will determine which is best for the neighbourhood.
I disagree.
Within a 2 block radius of that location, there is the street voted "Vancouver's Nicest Block" several years in a row - i.e., million-dollar heritage homes; there's several brand new loft buildings all renting for $2.25 - $2.5/sq. ft; there's condos selling in the $600/sq. ft and up range...and beyond that is Olympic Village. So

And a grocery store isn't just a grocery store. They are not all the same, for one, and they are a weather-vane of the residents. You don't plonk a Whole Foods, or Urban Fare into East Van because the residents would not be willing to spend $100 on an organic cubic pumpkin at Hallowe'en (as I've seen there). But in Olympic Village or Yaletown, they would. And the fact that the area we're talking about has a very busy Whole Foods already and is getting an Urban Fare (at OV) indicates that the residents are the sort that want high-end grocery stores.
As you said, they'll vote with their wallets. I think they'd rather vote for a Whole Foods than a No-Frills. Best case scenario, there would be independent greengrocers, bakeries, meat shops and cheese shops in there. If people want normal-priced or low-priced grocers, in the area there is a Safeway and a Save-On Foods, both of which are perfectly good and meet the need.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
Thrifty's is also under the Loblaws banner now. Wouldn't mind seeing that one there, I always like the store on the island. Looking forward to the one going in on Marine Drive in North Van too.
??? Thrifty Foods is Sobeys, not Loblaw.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
Thrifty's is also under the Loblaws banner now. Wouldn't mind seeing that one there, I always like the store on the island. Looking forward to the one going in on Marine Drive in North Van too.
thriftys is owned by sobeys which isn't owned by loblaws...

and they are so expensive they may as well be whole foods with their ridiculous prices - the one here in coquitlam is nice but most people seem to pop in for a few things as I never see overflowing carts like you see at superstore - plus a new no frills opened nearby and its extremely popular as it is so cheap

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post

loblaws also owns the Joe Fresh Style brand... maybe they are opening a super size joe fresh

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
As you said, they'll vote with their wallets. I think they'd rather vote for a Whole Foods than a No-Frills. Best case scenario, there would be independent greengrocers, bakeries, meat shops and cheese shops in there. If people want normal-priced or low-priced grocers, in the area there is a Safeway and a Save-On Foods, both of which are perfectly good and meet the need.
Haven't been in a No Frills - but been to the Extra Foods in West Kelowna - seems like an ordinary supermarket - and since its Loblaws, it carries President's Choice brand products!! That would shorten the drive to get my favourite brand of stuff.

Safeway and Save-on-Foods aren't low-priced. They are at best "normal-priced" - but are still more expensive than other stores - that's why Pattison introduced Price Smart Foods - it's supposed to be a bit cheaper than Save-on-Foods.

I think there is a Buy-Low (Pattison) at Kingsgate Mall - but that is a lower end area compared to Cambie. Not sure how well it does.

Overall, I think it's good to have a variety of price points in an area (just like the City wants to have a variety of income levels in various areas).

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 10:22 PM

No Frills is the cheapest grocery store IMO, cheaper than Superstore even. I love the Denman one.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Haven't been in a No Frills - but been to the Extra Foods in West Kelowna - seems like an ordinary supermarket - and since its Loblaws, it carries President's Choice brand products!! That would shorten the drive to get my favourite brand of stuff.

Safeway and Save-on-Foods aren't low-priced. They are at best "normal-priced" - but are still more expensive than other stores - that's why Pattison introduced Price Smart Foods - it's supposed to be a bit cheaper than Save-on-Foods.

I think there is a Buy-Low (Pattison) at Kingsgate Mall - but that is a lower end area compared to Cambie. Not sure how well it does.

Overall, I think it's good to have a variety of price points in an area (just like the City wants to have a variety of income levels in various areas).
my thoughts exactly. and it already is the case since so mnay people are renting in kits, point grey, shaugnessy (students and families) who may not want to or be able to afford patronizing meinhardt/wholefoods/capers exclusively. i think it is a little arrogant (and this isn't directed at you djh) for people to want an area be soooo exclusive as to even deny others the opportunity to purchase a necessity (groceries) there.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 10:33 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
??? Thrifty Foods is Sobeys, not Loblaw.
Shit you're right. Always screw that one up.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Just what Broadway & Cambie needs - another supermarket!
But it's true that there is no Loblaws presence in the area - Extra Foods?
Loblaws are big on No Frills expansion. That would be my guess.

Ron.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 11:23 PM

I want a Trader Joe's!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 12:32 AM
testify

yeah, trader joe would be about what the doctor ordered. it'd take these canadian plutocrats and their price cartel grocery store pricing, and it'd stuff them into a small plastic sack, vacuum seal that sack, and then recycle it into a tote bag. if only trader joe could run their model up in the canuckistan, which they can't.

a general sort of comment: there's all sorts of weird stuff happening that pushes canada to bad prices on food. the dairy industry supply manages our prices into being among the highest in the world. how about our import tariffs? punitive, as a means of protecting a canadian agribusiness that supplies a few massive distributors and producers (and protecting them too). and then there's consumer demand - this food regime, in limiting our access to variety for those unable to pay the demanded premium, has produced probably the least refined palate in the world. outside of a few cities, we exist almost exclusively on branded starches, orange cheese and frozen meats, and as such, we are acutely vulnerable to the price collusion to which we are subject. and again as such, there's no pressure to change the big things that could improve variety and bring prices down.

Last edited by flight_from_kamakura; Aug 26, 2010 at 12:48 AM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 12:51 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

It will be a No-Frills.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 12:52 AM

i love trader joes i am deprived its been over a year since i've been to one - the one in gellingham is great though for closeness

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 2:31 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
2 new restaurants on the way

Chinese eatery

The company is building two new Yaletown destinations. Chinois, located next to The Keg on Mainland in Yaletown, will be a Chinese restaurant that seats 110 people inside, and another 50 outside.
Why did they name it Chinois? It isnt really creative, it means "Chinese" in french, imagine opening a restaurant called "Chinese"

Anyways No frills seems to be a good alternative for those who do not want Whole foods, but i wonder how many people are going to complain about it.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 9:45 PM

So I just found out who is taking the corner location across from Burberry. I think many will be disappointed by who it is. I was, but maybe I just don't know enough about the company. At this point I can't say who it is though.

Only hint I can offer is that they already have a location in town but are now relocating.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy