HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
(city of portland)

Oh, from what I've read about a future SW Portland > Tigard MAX line, it will probably have to be tunneled, at least through the West Hills. Grade is pretty steep for trains.
It would be nice if OHSU, Hillsdale, and Multnomah village could get underground MAX stations out of it. I wonder if the potential TODs that would get built if that happened would be better than the ones around surface stations.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopdx View Post
If you're talking about changing the spelling of a word, that's called a spelling correction, not a grammar correction. Just clarifying, since English majors I know would get upset if someone mixed up spelling and grammar - which concerns parts of speech, verb tenses, prepositions and the like. Not trying to sound anal about this, but I just figured you were unaware of the mistake you making.

If we're making grammar corrections, *someone* on this board needs to know that "could of", "would of" and "should of" are entirely incorrect. You're looking for "could have", "would have" and "should have". </rant>

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
A tunnel is very likely. It makes a lot of sense for MAX to avoid Barbur as it climbs the hill towards Terwilliger because widening the ROW there on the side of the hill would be extremely expensive. Tunneling that stretch from the start of Barbur to just past Terwilliger could even be cheaper than trying to run MAX at grade. It would also allow direct access to the center of Hillsdale, which is a designated Town Center targeted for higher densities, while Barbur has almost no room for significant development until you get to Terwilliger. Beyond Terwilliger, the ROW is much wider and easier to accommodate light rail at grade, plus there are plenty of development opportunities along Barbur between Terwilliger and Tigard.
Metro's recent long-range transit plan included a tunnel from downtown to around Burlingame as one of the options. I could see it running at surface level from there, and then (here's where I start really dreaming), at Capitol Hwy, drop back into a tunnel and put a station right underneath PCC-Sylvania. There's, what, 50,000 students at PCC? (Probably not all at Sylvania, but that's the main campus). Given that the line would pass PSU and the tram to OHSU, this would connect the largest college campuses in town and would probably really be popular.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxg8r1 View Post
There are the tunnels for the "Shanghai Tunnel" tour (Which I do realize aren't "true tunnels" for transit, but perhaps with some modification?), as well as what I've always thought was an access point (I could be completely wrong on this one) to some sort of tunnel on SW 9th and Morrison (If you want to see what I'm talking about, look down SW9th from Morrison just on the corner there near the Brooks Brothers on Google Street View...
That's the entrance to an old bar which closed maybe 10 years ago.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 5:42 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
If we're making grammar corrections, *someone* on this board needs to know that "could of", "would of" and "should of" are entirely incorrect. You're looking for "could have", "would have" and "should have". </rant>
If the someone you are talking about is me, then I would say I actually do know the difference, but unless I am writing something that is to be graded or peer reviewed, then I don't really care too much about completely correct grammar...actually most people care less about writing full words these days. But that would take us into a non-important rant that has nothing to do with this topic.

Knowing how to spell a city correctly is just a geographical correction. I am sure you would inform someone if they are pronouncing Williamette wrong.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 6:43 AM

phiyitchgfduv

Last edited by MarkDaMan; Mar 23, 2011 at 12:31 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Just so you know if you are talking about Pittsburgh, PA, there is always an "H" at the end. Just a grammar correction, I know if I were from Pittsburgh, I would get annoyed seeing my city said or pronounced wrong, especially when it is a city as big as Pittsburgh. Not trying to sound mean with this, just figured you were unaware of this mistake that you were making.
Thanks for the correction. I received so many private messages from confused people who had no idea what or where this 'Pittsburg' place is; you seem to have cleared up everything.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 8:05 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0898 View Post
Thanks for the correction. I received so many private messages from confused people who had no idea what or where this 'Pittsburg' place is; you seem to have cleared up everything.
No worries, after visiting Pittsburgh years ago, I learned from locals that is one of the easiest ways of pissing off someone from Pittsburgh...well that and telling them you think the Steelers suck, that tends to piss them off too.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 3:09 AM

Decision on whether to pursue Orenco Station-style development in Forest Grove still months away

By Kelly House, The Oregonian

Two weeks after inviting residents to the table as they discuss pursuing a large development north of the Forest Grove train tracks, city planners say they're still pondering their options.

But check back in about seven months.

That's when planners expect to have a better idea of whether the 21,000-person city should get its own version of Hillsboro's Orenco Station.

"Hopefully by September, we'll have a clear idea of whether mixed use development is feasible in the project area or if it will generate enough ridership to support light rail," Forest Grove senior planner Dan Riordan said Monday.

City officials dream of a mixed use community where residents live within walking distance of a light rail station that connects them with Hillsboro, Beaverton and Portland.

Convincing Metro government to build the station is the motive behind Forest Grove's development discussions.

Metro has ranked Forest Grove behind several other projects on its to-do list for rail extensions. Local leaders hope creating a high-density development (read: a lot of potential rail passengers in a small area) would entice Metro to bump the city up the list.

But before they can start planning, "we still need to pin down the infrastructure cost and look at ways to potentially fund the infrastructure" such as plumbing and sewers, Riordan said.

Pursuing an Orenco style development would require the city to rezone the 135-acre area, which is currently dominated by vacant industrial land -- a few service roads bisecting empty fields. That could be tricky, because preserving industrial space is listed as a priority in the city's comprehensive plan.

"By the end of summer, we should have a real clear idea of whether this makes sense," Riordan said.

Stay tuned.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 12:31 AM

LaHood bears gifts for Portland transit
Portland Business Journal - by Andy Giegerich, Business Journal staff writer
Date: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 1:00pm PDT

Ray LaHood announced a new federal grant to support Portland transit projects.

The country’s transportation boss helped Portland officials kick off a key South Waterfront roads and rail initiative.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood also announced that Portland would receive another $10.2 million in federal transit system grants. The grants will supply buses and light-rail trains for the area.

LaHood made the announcement at the launch of the Southwest Moody Avenue Project Tuesday morning. The project will reconstruct Southwest Moody Avenue, River Parkway and Gibbs Street in Portland’s South Waterfront district. It will also lead to redevelopment of nearby brownfields and help complete the impending MAX light rail and Portland Streetcar Line that will run to the east side.

The project is being paid for with federal, state and local money. The federal $23.2 million grant comes from LaHood’s department as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.

“President Obama’s vision for winning the future by out-building and out-innovating the rest of the world is coming to life right here in Portland,” LaHood said. “The Department of Transportation’s ... grant award will reduce congestion, provide new pedestrian and bicycle opportunities, and provide streetcar service that will encourage economic development and connect residents with the city’s central business district.”

LaHood added that the streetcars will be made in Clackamas by United Streetcar LLC, which he was also set to visit today. LaHood appeared Monday at a Bicycle Transportation Alliance event in Portland’s Pearl District.

The $10.2 million Federal Transit Administration grant will provide $6 million for the purchase of 17 fuel-efficient buses. The agency is also issuing a $4.2 million grant to TriMet, the region’s transportation agency, to purchase on-board energy storage units for 20-or-so light-rail vehicles.

LaHood was joined by Portland Mayor Sam Adams, Democratic Sen. Jeff Merkley and Democratic representatives Earl Blumenauer, Kurt Schrader and David Wu.

Adams said the Moody project will open dozens of vacant central city acres for redevelopment.

Read more: LaHood bears gifts for Portland transit | Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...d-transit.html

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 5:59 AM

I got stuck under one of Tri-met's new-fangled transit mall "shelters" today during a downpour and it was really disturbing...a dozen or more people huddled together while rain blew through us from every direction, miserable and wet. It made me a believer in the good ol' American practice of waterboarding. You know, in the sense that I would *personally* like to subject the designers in the employ of our fabled transit agency to a punishment involving copious amounts of water. <<deep breath>> Do they live here? Do they know that it rains 8 months out of the year and is frequently chilly and/or windy?

FAIL.

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 2:52 PM

TriMet seems to under-engineer everything, for cost reasons, I assume. The shelters look nice, but you're right, they provide zero protection from the elements. I imagine it's much worse out on the green line along 205, where, with just a pair of their signature hokey shelters, riders - on a line where headways are as much as 35 minutes! - are completely open to the wind (I'm thinking especially of the Lents station).

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 5:11 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I assumed the new design was to discourage homeless people from using them as shelter, especially overnight. I assumed the design was intentional, in other words. Ever notice how newer buildings downtown don't have decent sidewalk-overhangs anymore (what the heck is the word I'm looking for there! My coffee hasn't kicked in yet!)? The downtown Safeway is a good example. It has strips of shade over the sidewalk, which means on a rainy day you're going to get wet. I am absolutely certain the poor protection from rain is by design.

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 7:13 PM

Oh yeah, it is definitely intentional design. That was used as the reason for removing the old shelters -- they invited crime, supposedly, and also sometimes were used as actual shelters by the homeless.

Environmental Design at its finest, not under-engineering for cost reasons. Remember the $367 bike staples designed by ZGF that scratch your bike? Then again, they also couldn't afford to paint sharrows in the "multi-use" lane as the project was winding down...

This town is driving me crazy.

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 7:14 AM

Rockwood MAX station complete, to open Friday
by Angela Webber
Published: May 25th, 2011

A large, colorful art piece called “Rockwood Sunrise” by Seattle artist Dan Corson frames the new Rockwood MAX station. (Photo from Trimet.org)

A new Rockwood MAX station in Gresham will open at the beginning of service Friday, replacing a 25-year old station that was perceived as unsafe.

The new station, built by Skanska USA, was funded by a $3 million grant from the Oregon Department of Transportation’s Connect Oregon II program, $2.15 million from the Gresham Redevelopment Commission and $160,000 from TriMet. The project is part of a Rockwood in Motion revitalization effort underway in Gresham.

“The city, as part of its overall vision for the area’s redevelopment, felt that having the stations adjacent to each other rather than split, and having the area more pedestrian-friendly, would help prompt redevelopment in the area,” said TriMet spokeswoman Mary Fetsch. “It’s a more open station with open sightlines. It’s really very attractive and it serves as the anchor for that area.”

The new station, located at East 188th Avenue, has closed-circuit security cameras, additional lighting and updated signal improvements. A large, colorful art piece called “Rockwood Sunrise” by Seattle artist Dan Corson frames the station.

Demolition of the old eastbound platform and interim westbound platform will begin May 31.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 3:26 PM

Tigard sets sights on MAX
City selects seven areas where high-capacity transit could grow with city
By Geoff Pursinger
The Times, Jun 2, 2011

TIGARD — The city is taking the next step in the long process that could result in a MAX light rail line running through town.

The city has identified seven areas across the city where it believes high-capacity transit might one day come.

Those areas — which stretch from Washington Square to King City — were presented to the public Wednesday, May 25 in a special workshop to get public feedback on potential “station communities.”

“It was a great session,” said Judith Gray, senior transportation planner for the city. “…We asked people to look at what kinds of characteristics we need to not only make transit work but how the city needs to grow.”

The line is expected to run from Portland to Sherwood via Pacific Highway but decisions about the actual kind and alignment of high-capacity transit are not expected until 2015.

Members of the public and the city’s citizen advisory committee for high-capacity transit examined the potential stops, and what the city would need to do to prepare the areas for increased growth over the next several years.

Planning for growth is important, because the Portland metropolitan area is expected to gain up to 1 million or more people over the next 50 years.

For Tigard, that could mean a population of 100,000 people by that time, and with little room to grow outward, the city is looking to find different ways of dealing with the expected population.

It’ll take a bit of redevelopment to get the city ready for that future, and city officials have said that high capacity transit will play a major role.

The stations are far from official, and Tigard’s Redevelopment Project Manager Sean Farrelly said he expects only about three or four of the station areas identified to eventually be turned into transit stops.

“High-capacity transit has to come through Portland,” Farrelly said. “That will determine a lot of where the stations go as well.”

The seven areas have the characteristics the city would like to see in a transit stop, Gray said. Those include a mix of residential and commercial businesses, access to other parts of the city (such as other TriMet transit centers in downtown Tigard and Washington Square) and the potential for growth over the next several years.

While each of the seven station areas differ in size and makeup, Gray said that many of the people who attended last week’s meeting had similar thoughts on how the areas should grow.

“There was a lot of interest in having some kind of community focal point or node,” she said. “Even though there are areas that are single family residential neighborhoods, having a place to gather for shopping or coffee is something that we heard about.”

These focal points aren’t necessarily huge strip malls, Farrelly said.

“Just something that you can get your basic services,” he said.

Improving pedestrian connections is also important, Farrelly said. “There are some places that don’t have sidewalks. We want to make it easier to get from a person’s house to a node. Not everybody wants to live right next to it, but they do want it within walking distance.”

Whether it’s MAX that eventually comes to Tigard or some other form of high-capacity transit, the decision is is still years away.

High-capacity transit has meant MAX light rail for most of the previously identified corridors, but it could mean rapid bus line or other method of getting many people to and from downtown Portland quickly, such as commuter rail or rapid streetcar.

The public feedback will become part of the city’s High-Capacity Transit Land Use Plan, which forms the foundation for Metro’s $2 million study on which form of high-capacity transit the city will receive.
Where would they go?

While decisions about stations won’t be made for many more years, the city has identified seven areas that could receive high capacity transit.

- Washington Square

- Southwest Scholls Ferry Road at 121st Avenue

- The Tigard Triangle (between Interstate 5 and Highway 217)

- Downtown Tigard

- Pacific Highway at Southwest Gaarde Street and Southwest McDonald Street

- King City

- Bridgeport Village

http://portlandtribune.com/news/prin...97847685535300

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 7:57 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

...rapid streetcar? The idea of extending the streetcar to Tigard sounds like grasping at straws to me. I love the streetcar, but rapid is one thing it isn't.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 8:00 PM

It actually could be much faster with its own ROW. This is why the LO line makes sense. It can really cut time do to the ROW for most of the extension. Its can reach speeds of 55. That's pretty solid.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 1:05 AM

Not to sign all righty wingnut here, but all options are always "seriously" explored until the preferred option is picked. It's how the MAX lines all along have been built. Not saying they've come to the wrong conclusion, but BRT has been a "consideration" when they start public meetings...Washington County, the Interstate line, Columbia Crossing, Milwaukie, and the Lake O streetcar.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 4:00 AM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Rockwood MAX station complete, to open Friday
by Angela Webber
Published: May 25th, 2011

A large, colorful art piece called “Rockwood Sunrise” by Seattle artist Dan Corson frames the new Rockwood MAX station. (Photo from Trimet.org)
I have mixed feelings about "Rockwood Sunrise."

I'm all for public art, this piece just seems really out of place. They didn't even integrate the colors elsewhere in the station or anything. It kind of feels as if someone just plopped it there. Maybe it will make more sense when they finish that whole community center there...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure