HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 9:04 PM

Just the additional video added..

Removed dead link...

Last edited by Cyro; May 10, 2016 at 6:49 PM. Reason: Removed video link-Not available anymore

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 9:12 PM

so lameeeeee

I'm not really interested in going to the zoo to see plants.... sounds like a waste of money.. they should invest in indoor exzibits that house more variety of animals.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 10:26 PM
Starring as himself

Can't we have a conservatory because it's pleasurable to look at trees and flowers, particularly in the winter -- rather than having to pretend that doing so is somehow going to change our lives and save the world?

The new building does look nice.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 10:39 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

There is nothing better than visiting a conservatory in winter. The wonderful smell stays for hours after.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 2:29 AM

This is by far the most anticipated part of the Assiniboine Park rejuvenation for me! Thrilling, quite frankly. *Bart Scott* Can't wait!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 5:46 PM

Does anyone know exactly how/where this will be situated in the park? In the renderings it looks to be an isolated building in the middle of nowhere.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Does anyone know exactly how/where this will be situated in the park? In the renderings it looks to be an isolated building in the middle of nowhere.
Site map here http://www.assiniboinepark.ca/park-l...ersity-gardens

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 7:17 PM

good placement. this should displace the ten commandments monument that is placed on this spot in the city's largest PUBLIC park.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 1:16 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Holy boats, this is perhaps the most ambitious project I've seen for Assiniboine Park! This is seriously cool!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 2:52 AM
Ignore these four words.

I like where it'll be. It will replace the Formal Gardens and the old, run down shelter and washrooms in that area. I wonder what they'll do with all those busts of notable people.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post

Wanted to add the Map here Rypinion..as others have already mentioned, it's an excellent location on the opposite side of the park from the zoo, this was always one of the less used areas of the park..this incorporates the plan into the current boundries to a tee...

Canada's Diversity Gardens

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 1:49 PM

Nice to here, Assiniboine Park Pavilion getting a $2M 3rd floor gallery reno with other additions to the 2nd floor and restaurant.

Always enjoyed the Pavilion,the restaurant and brunches in the atrium. Beautiful setting and a wonderful building over all.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Nice to here, Assiniboine Park Pavilion getting a $2M 3rd floor gallery reno with other additions to the 2nd floor and restaurant.

Always enjoyed the Pavilion,the restaurant and brunches in the atrium. Beautiful setting and a wonderful building over all.
This is great news I love going to Assiniboine park with my family.Also any more news about the Conservatory I have not been able to find much about
is on google.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:36 PM

$15M was pledged by the current government on Jan.16th of this year toward the final phase of the project. Where the fundraising and timetable stand as of today, I'm not sure.
We'll see what happens when the Provincial Elections are over

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 8:02 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Winnipeg Free Press
Monday, May 9, 2016
City & Business Section

Park upgrades raise the bar
Redevelopment gives city another must-visit site

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...378603551.html

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 6:21 PM

That roof of teflon pillows has Dreamscape written all over it.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 3:19 AM

Here's a good CBC story about the approach to designing the Indigenous Peoples' Garden, which is currently being developed for Assiniboine Park:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/in...park-1.3760514

Quote:
Cheyenne [Thomas], who is a graduate of the University of Manitoba's environmental design program, is part of the new generation of Indigenous designers.

"I don't think that it's about teepees or turtle shaped buildings. I feel like that's another stereotype," said Cheyenne. "Indigenous design is modern, it's sustainable, it's our values that are still there as Indigenous people. It's ownership to all of these deep rooted connections with the land."

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 2:27 PM

The CEO of the Assiniboine Park Conservancy is moving on after 14 years at the helm.

Quote:
In 2008, Assiniboine Park was in trouble.

The zoo was teetering on the brink of closure. The Conservatory was nearing the end of its life. Every part of the park, it seemed, was in some form of disrepair. There was no Journey to Churchill, no promise of polar bears swimming overhead. The Leaf — the multi-functional horticultural attraction currently under construction — was a far-off dream.

‘I can’t wait till people are able to enjoy this building,’ Margaret Redmond says of the Leaf, set to open later this year. ‘I still gasp when I walk in that building — it is so beautiful, it is so inspiring.’

The herculean task of not just rehabilitating Assiniboine Park but transforming it into a financially viable hub to be enjoyed for generations to come was the driving force behind the creation of the Assiniboine Park Conservancy in 2008 — a not-for-profit organization working arms-length from the City of Winnipeg, responsible for day-to-day operations of the park and zoo and also ensuring its survival.

And Margaret Redmond, the founding president and CEO of the conservancy, was tasked with not only leading this brand-new organization in realizing that vision, but also winning over the hearts and minds of a community who didn’t always see that vision right away.

The Assiniboine Park that Redmond inherited is not the one she will leave behind. After 14 years, she will step down after the opening of The Leaf at the end of this year.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...576534632.html

I have to take my hat off to Margaret Redmond, she did a great job of breathing life into what was a pretty moribund and neglected park.

I hope that whoever takes over can continue her work towards revitalizing Assiniboine Park, as there is still a lot of work left to do.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 2:56 PM
surely you agree with me

I worked with her when I did the family centre. Really great person. Assiniboine Park was lucky to have her. Its a changed place.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 5:32 PM

The transformation of the park over the past decade and a half has been exceptional. Hopefully the next CEO's legacy will be a long overdue aquarium(s).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan