HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Ville de Québec

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 4:04 PM

Région De Québec :: Sports

An official thread to discuss local sports teams and events.

Old Posted May 16, 2009, 11:48 PM

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...a-hamilton.php

Déménagement des Coyotes: Bettman préférerait Winnipeg à Hamilton

Gary Bettman préférerait voir les Coyotes de Phoenix retourner à Winnipeg plutôt que de déménager à Hamilton, selon des documents juridiques inclus dans le dossier relatif à la faillite de l'équipe de l'Arizona.

Earl Scudder, un avocat à l'emploi de Jerry Moyes, le propriétaire majoritaire des Coyotes, dit que le commissaire de la LNH lui a fait pareille remarque le mois dernier après qu'il eut contacté la ligue pour lui signifier l'intérêt d'un acheteur canadien à déménager les Coyotes dans le sud de l'Ontario.

Selon une déclaration sous serment déposée en cour vendredi, Scudder précise que Bettman l'a informé que Hamilton n'était pas une destination idéale parce que le Copps Coliseum existe depuis plus de 30 ans. Bettman aurait ajouté que «si l'équipe retournait au Canada, ce serait à Winnipeg».

Leurs amphithéâtre est peut être petit, mais il est neuf! Et même si je suis persuadé qu'il serait possible d'utiliser le Colisée actuelle pendant 1 ou 2 ans durant la construction d'un nouvel amphithéâtre, ça n'arrivera pas parce que "Buttman" est borné comme un âne et qu'il ne permettra pas que ça arrive a moins que le building soit là avant! La preuve c'est qu'il serait prêt a retourné le Coyottes à Winnipeg avant d'implanter une nouvelle équipe dans le sud de l'Ontario! Je le souhaite vraiment aux gens de Winnipeg et j'espère que nous aurons la chance de "renaitre" pas longtemps après.

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 4:58 AM
Look at me!

Good! Je prefere l'option Winnipeg de loin que Hamilton! Go Winnipeg!

ps Bettman sucks balls

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 3:15 PM

More “Coyotes to Winnipeg” Rumours.

Written by Lyle Richardson Sunday, 28 March 2010 10:37
http://www.spectorshockey.net/index....&id=6&Itemid=3

"Despite the Phoenix Coyotes amazing improvement this season putting them amongst the top clubs in the Western Conference they remain the focus of relocation talk, with Winnipeg believed amongst the top destinations of choice.

The latest comes from Ken Campbell of The Hockey News, reporting of speculation the attempt by Ice Edge Holdings to purchase the Coyotes is now dead and there’s a deal in principle between the league and Canadian billionaire David Thomson to purchase the team and move it this summer back to Winnipeg.

Thomson’s name in connection with the NHL in Winnipeg is nothing new. He is a major investor in True North Sports and Entertainment, the company that owns and operates the 15,000-seat MTS Centre in Winnipeg. With a seating capacity of 15,015 for hockey, it would be the smallest building in the NHL and it would obviously have to have long-term plans to increase the capacity by at least 2,000.

Even if Winnipeg managed to sell out every game, it would rank 25th in NHL attendance. But the important distinction is that the vast majority of those seats would be paid, in comparison to many American markets where every ticket, including thousands of free and reduced-price tickets, is included in the attendance figure.

I’ve written several times, here and on my blog, why I don’t believe the city of Winnipeg can afford an NHL franchise so I’m not going to go into a detailed rehash of my arguments. I do however encourage those of you unfamiliar with my take on the subject to read them.

Furthermore, I want to reiterate I have nothing against the city of Winnipeg, the province of Manitoba or its hockey fans. If the Coyotes return to Winnipeg or another NHL franchise winds up there due to relocation or expansion I will certainly wish them and the good hockey fans of Winnipeg and Manitoba all the best.

I’m not however going to ignore the real problems such a franchise would face in Winnipeg. One shouldn’t assume the Coyotes in Winnipeg would be a cash cow to whoever might bring a franchise there.

As I said, I’m not going into a detailed rehash of my previous points but I will offer up a brief summary.

Supporters of moving a franchise back to Winnipeg, as Campbell noted above, claim they’ll sell out every game and earn a ton of money.

That’s assuming Winnipegers and Manitobans, who are amongst the lowest wage earners and most taxed people in Canada, won’t mind paying the average ticket price of $51.27 or the average fan cost index of just over $300.00 for an average family of four to attend a game. That’s not counting the cost of season tickets or corporate boxes.

Those prices are a considerable increase over what Winnipeg hockey fans currently pay to watch the AHL’s Manitoba Moose.

Even if the Coyotes were to keep their fan cost index around its current number, amongst the lowest in the NHL, it’s still a pricey $221.80 for a family of four, living in a province which last year paid the lowest average wage in Canada, to attend a game.

By moving to Winnipeg the Coyotes would be playing in the smallest, most isolated professional sports market in North America, meaning they’ll earn less than their Canadian cousins in broadcasting, advertising and corporate sponsorship revenue.

Those claiming an NHL franchise in Winnipeg would sell out every game overlook the fact that the Jets, in their final seven seasons in the old 15,565 seat Winnipeg Arena, never sold out, averaging just over 13,000.

Undoubtedly a new NHL team in Winnipeg might do well at the gate in their first couple of seasons of existence, given the novelty and nostalgia, particularly if the team is a decent one, but if the team should struggle as the Coyotes, Florida Panthers and Atlanta Thrashers have over the past decade, that devotion would be severely tested, just as it was during the Jets final years.

Since NHL ticket and concession prices are determined by what each market can bear, an NHL franchise in Winnipeg would probably have to keep those prices amongst the lowest in the league. That’ll make them a cost-conscious club, unable to keep pace with a rising NHL salary cap, currently stalled around $56 million but likely to increase significantly as the North American economy improves.

That means this is a team that will require savvy management, like that of the Nashville Predators, capable of icing a competitive roster on a shoestring budget, one that might be a perennial playoff contender but never deep enough to contend for a championship.

The league has expressed interest in perhaps returning to Winnipeg one day but as NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman observed several years ago they want to ensure they’re not getting into a situation where they’ll be facing the same problems which could put that franchise in jeopardy down the road.

If the Coyotes are to move to Canada there are better markets (southern Ontario and – once their new arena is built - Quebec City) which would better accommodate an NHL franchise long term than Winnipeg.

The league’s brain trust of course might think otherwise if someone steps up with the cash willing to bring the Coyotes to Winnipeg. It wouldn’t be the first time they made a bad decision on where to put an NHL franchise. Sure, it’ll be a popular move, but the facts suggest it might not be a sound financial one.

I’m not writing this to be a dick or to rain on anyone’s parade. I’ve based my opinion upon considerable research.

If the league were to approve the move of the Coyotes, or any other NHL team, to Winnipeg, I will honestly wish them the best of luck and hope they’ll buck the odds and succeed.

I just won’t have my hopes up too high."

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 4:09 AM

Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 6:56 AM

Quote:
La toute première patinoire couverte au monde fut édifiée à Québec en 1851 sur un quai du fleuve Saint-Laurent. Elle ressemblait à un hangar et mesurait un peu plus de 36 mètres de long sur 18 de large. Le « Club House », comme on l’appelait, était suffisamment froid à l’intérieur pour que, lorsque le plancher était recouvert d’eau au début de la saison, il se transforme rapidement en une surface de glace dure. L’intérieur de cette première patinoire couverte était très rudimentaire et ne comportait aucune décoration. La conception des patinoires intérieures ultérieures mettait davantage l’accent sur le confort des patineurs et des spectateurs.

Parmi les autres patinoires couvertes importantes construites à Québec, mentionnons-en trois qui furent construites successivement pour le Quebec Skating Club : la première sur la Grande Allée, en 1864; la deuxième, également sur la Grande Allée, en 1878; et la troisième, à l’extérieur de la porte Saint-Louis, près des Plaines d’Abraham, en 1888-1889. Cette patinoire fut utilisée par la population de Québec jusqu’à sa démolition, en 1911
http://quebecbulldogs.com/2008/02/04...m-ont-100-ans/

C'est sur cette patinoire que les Bulldogs de Québec ont remporté la Coupe Stanley en 1912 et 1913.

The first indoor skating rink is thought to have been built in Quebec City in 1851 to house the Quebec Skating Club. The rink changed location several times during the following decades. From 1888 until 1918, it was situated just next to the citadel and it is there that the Quebec Bulldogs won two Stanley Cup, in 1912 and 1913. Newspapers from the time mentionned that up to 2000 people often assisted to the matches.

http://quebecbulldogs.com/2008/02/04...m-ont-100-ans/

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Deux gros noms de la NBA joignent les rangs des Kebs

L’entraîneur des Kebs de Québec, Robert Spon, est de retour dans la capitale avec de bonnes nouvelles. Deux joueurs de la NBA (National Basketball Association), Dontell Jefferson et Jamario Moon, rallient les rangs de l’équipe, ce qui fait dire à l’entraîneur que les Kebs seront meilleurs que jamais cette saison.

Le lock-out de la NBA amène les joueurs à envisager d’autres options et la nouvelle Ligue nationale de Basketball (LNB) créée cet été (voir Les Kebs fondent la Ligue nationale de basketball) représente une opportunité intéressante pour eux, aux dires de Vincent Bernier, le directeur général de l’équipe.

Jefferson et Moon seront donc présents au camp d’entraînement de la formation qui débute la semaine prochaine. Le premier, un garde de 6 pieds 4 provenant des Bobcats de Charlotte, a signé un contrat avec les Kebs pour cette saison.

«C’est une super signature de contrat. Dontell est un joueur versatile. C’est un garde très performant et un excellent lanceur. En signant avec lui, nous gagnons de l’expérience de la NBA, en plus de son talent. Il sera certainement le meilleur joueur de la ligue. En défensive, il est capable de garder n’importe quel joueur, garde ou ailier. Je suis très heureux de l’avoir à bord de l’équipe», a commenté Robert Spon.

Quant au second, Jamario Moon, il prendra part au camp d’entraînement débutant le 10 octobre prochain à titre d’aide-entraîneur. Cet ailier de 6 pieds 8 a joué avec Lebron James lors de sa dernière saison au sein des Cavaliers de Cleveland.

[...]
http://www.quebechebdo.com/Sports/Ba...ngs-des-Kebs/1

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 9:21 PM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Ville de Québec