HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > China

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 9:57 AM

Foreigners in China

Michael Chugani

Mr Michael Chugani is a Hong Kong-born American citizen who has worked for many years as a journalist in Hong Kong.
http://eastweek.my-magazine.me/index.php?aid=1731

I’m third generation Hong Kong Sindhi. My grandfather came from India and started a business here.

It’s got nothing to do with me growing up as an ethnic minority in Hong Kong. I speak fluent Cantonese and blend in quite easily.

My dad was thrown into a prison camp by the Japanese when he was in his early 20s—all foreigners were arrested as collaborators when the Japanese invaded.

My mom told me he was slated to be executed, but fortunately Hong Kong was liberated right before. He came back out a broken man though. He passed away when I was seven or eight. I don’t remember much about him.

When I was a kid, I asked my devout Hindu mother, “If God is just, why is he racist? Why are the darker-skinned people poor, and all the Caucasians rich?” She said, “God knows what he’s doing.” Which didn’t work for me.

I went to this awful Catholic school in Kowloon Tong for La Salle and St. Joseph dropouts called Regina’s. It doesn’t exist anymore.

I knew exactly what I wanted to do. As a kid, I could always write. I never went to university.

I did enroll in a course in journalism, but I didn’t feel like I learned anything, so I quit, and went traveling in Europe and Asia. I ended up at TVB as a young reporter.

Whenever I encounter injustice, it always gets me riled up. The only way to fight against injustice is to report about it. That’s what motivates me.

Hong Kong Hot Topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD0BHmSuw-Q
Video Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > China