HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Shard London Bridge in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • London Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
London Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 5:06 PM
Bionic Boogie

^^^
thank you, I've been following this thread with excitement, is the tower gonna be completed by the Olympic Games? light up with special lighting? will be most exciting..thanks from across the ocean!!!

CV

so beautiful like a city of the future...all glass ala Logan's Run!

photo taken Oct. 1, 2011

London Shard and City Hall by npmeijer, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 12:48 AM

London seems to have a lot of modern mid-rises. City Hall and the one on the bottom right of this picture look pretty cool and different. Then you get high-rises like Guy's Tower...what the eff?!

IMG_7954.jpg by tompagenet

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 1:52 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...f015710S61.DTL

UK's tallest building adds drama to London's sky

By MEERA SELVA
January 26, 2012

Quote:

Passengers stepping out of London Bridge tube station cannot help but crane their necks to gaze at the jagged tower under construction: The Shard is the tallest building in the European Union and looks like a slice of glass balanced on the edge of the financial district.

When the tower opens next year, visitors to the observation deck will see helicopters fly by at eye level and take in the metropolis all the way to the distant north Downs Hills. The structure designed by renowned Italian architect Renzo Piano dwarfs nearby landmarks like Tower Bridge and St. Paul's Cathedral across the Thames.

Neighbors are hoping the dramatic tower, visible from most parts of London, will bring big spenders to its south-of-the-river location, for centuries the less prosperous side of the Thames.

The developer Irvine Sellar sees the project as a symbol of London's status as a world city. The 72-floor, 310 meter- (1,016 foot-) tall building is designed by an Italian, financed by the Qatar government, and the Chinese hotel group Shangri-La were the first tenants to sign up.

"We want this building to be a building Londoners will feel ownership of," said Sellar. "You can eat there, you can work there, you can sleep there. And you can see the view from there."

The building's exterior will be finished in June but it is unlikely to open until early next year.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 5:35 PM
Ex Houstonian

So, how much are they taking for condos? lol What an incredible view it would be to work up there looking down on one of the worlds most historic and important cities.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 3:13 AM
World Machine

This tower is definitely a game changer for the London skyline - this is such a quality tower that will offer the city a lot.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 4:15 AM

Nice but the ceilings look so low.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 7:12 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ The ceilings in the picture below appear to be 10 ft. or more, which is decent for modern office buildings, and far better than office buildings built before the LEED era began.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 9:21 PM

irving sellar is only 3ft tall so he might be right

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 2:33 PM

Shard

Source: chest at Skyscrapercity; http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...ostcount=22243

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 7:48 PM

Back from wintery London.
All the pictures were taken yesterday (no snow) and today (snowy, foggy)

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 8:47 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Bad Paint EDIT

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 9:17 PM

Fabb, love that last pic of the Shard and the Tower of London. Shows how wrong UNESCO and others were to say the Shard would detract from it.

Quote:
^^^
thank you, I've been following this thread with excitement, is the tower gonna be completed by the Olympic Games? light up with special lighting? will be most exciting..thanks from across the ocean!!!

CV
Carlos - I think the Shard will be ready, at least externally, by the time the Olympics gets underway - see http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...fore-olympics/

I don't know if it is going to have Olympic lighting, but I'd be amazed if the people leasing it didn't take the opportunity!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedhead View Post
Fabb, love that last pic of the Shard and the Tower of London. Shows how wrong UNESCO and others were to say the Shard would detract from it.
I agree.
Here's another one that shows even more that the ancient and the contemporary can coexist in harmony :

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
I agree.
Here's another one that shows even more that the ancient and the contemporary can coexist in harmony :

Nice juxtaposition of the Tower and Shard.

It also illustrates as to why UNESCO & Friends are clowns - the issue isn't the architecture, but the convoluted and cluttered street furniture. At least the Shard tries to mimic the old sailing boats/church spires of old.

I counted eighteen separate poles in the above picture, none in keeping or assisting in improving the surrounding urban fabric.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
I agree.

This is a fantastic image and shows that the Shard complements the existing environment.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 5:01 PM

Just uploaded my latest shots on the blog http://willphoto-uk.blogspot.com/#!/...tographer.html

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 6:18 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Amazing shots, Will.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 11:56 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Hans Pfaal

The crown has started getting the final pieces of cladding

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 2:04 AM

Dated Feb 7th.

The Shard: Spire Glazing Progress by cybertect, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 3:13 PM
Euroscraper

Just amazing... this tower is absolutely superb! What a nice and unique addition to the London skyline.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive