HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

111 West 57th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I have no doubt you know a lot more than I do if you work in the industry, so yes, I'll take your word for it. But, this project has always seemed a little shaky from the get go so that's why the article made me worry.
I actually think the project is on more solid footings today than when it was announced. Because its an iconic building now, I think it will make property barons even more interested in buying units in it.

Now if they trouble getting financing at the most the project will likely be dragged out with a longer timespan. They can always build later too, now that they have the site, the plans, and approvals. I wouldn't be too down on it, I'm sure they have a plan B.

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 9:46 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

That what I was thinking, a plan B. Even though the article sounds like fabrications like Nikolai and JR mentioned (I'd trust JR btw, take it from me), a high profile project like this, far into the process, and with so much money invested in the design process, will not go without a fight. With all the other supertalls in preparation stage, and the sales of other ultra-luxury towers going really well, it would be a big missed opportunity.

I would probably worry more about Shvo as a developer than Stern.

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 10:33 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Where have you guys heard of this "plan B"?

Quote:
But, this project has always seemed a little shaky from the get go so that's why the article made me worry.
The "article" only tells a story that the gullible would enjoy, like a scary story about a zombie.

A week before TRD wrote up this story, the Unions also made a fuss targeting the shareholders of this project.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2230495

Quote:
The Laborers’ International Union and the Building Construction Trades Council of Greater New York plan to present their case directly to shareholders of the proposed 80-story building on W. 57th St. during a meeting at the Warwick Hotel in Midtown Thursday.
Before some inject more drama into this thread, maybe look at the situation and critically evaluate the circumstances with an ounce of real estate knowledge. If not, this forum will lose credibility and will end up feeding off the fantastical speculation of those who are left.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 10:57 PM

I was reading that the Penthouse of 432 Park recently sold for $95,000,000... Not only with all these proposed supertalls be built in one from or another, we'll probably see hundreds of supertall towers rise in our lifetime. If it wasn't for density limits in our zoning, we would already be there. I'm not worried in the least unless we enter another great recession, then all bets are off...

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 11:05 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Its a sanctuary city for wealth. Definitely a good place to invest, even in a time of a recession. Now no city is immune from a market crash, but this place seems to be better fit for weathering one. We could say it has a higher immunity to a potential recession, call it a virus.

Lots of Russian and EU money is floating into the city. Domestic is still a large portion of sales, but international buyers tend to be from the EU, Russia, China, and still account for a healthy share of the market.

Views, location, and prestige are what its about. You could build a tower and make out of grey concrete and smiley faces as windows, and it would sell out.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
Once again. This is not Chicago. There was not demand for the Spire, nor was there serious funding. It was a hair-brained scheme by a plumber from Ireland.

111 will be built. The subject investor is a small player and the sums involved are a pittance vis-a-vis the total costs if this project.

Anyone who disputes this must have read Chicken Little recently and adapts his absurd concern about the sky falling.
The main reality is that the markets, banks and real estate demand crashed...even in NYC.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN/WI View Post
The main reality is that the markets, banks and real estate demand crashed...even in NYC.
But that has zero to do with the Spire. The Spire was never a serious project.

I have no idea what any of this discussion has to do with 111 W.57, but these threads do tend to go off topic when there is nothing particularly newsworthy.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
But that has zero to do with the Spire. The Spire was never a serious project.
How is a project that started construction "not a serious project..." Please, it should never have come up in this thread.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 2:01 AM
BANNED

There is no threat whatsoever to this project. Those who are offended by NY's uber status shouldn't get excited because this tower will rise on time and will be a Huge success.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 2:35 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Is this why the tower is no longer on the diagram?
No, the default diagrams view no longer shows proposed buildings.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 4:49 AM
New Yorker for life

Enought "Spire" talk. Two very different buildings and two very different cities.

Quote:
this project has always seemed a little shaky from the get go so that's why the article made me worry.
Lol, I won't even ask.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 10:32 AM
BANNED

The City, lads!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 12:05 AM
don't *meddle*...

A reminder of what's to come ...

By Otie

Together with Verre

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 12:28 AM

Fingers crossed!

This so kicks a$$ over the Torre Verre (at least from the outside, IMO they watered down the Verre exterior and made the structural crossbracing almost flush with the curtain wall. Takes away the dimensionality and richness that it once had.)

If they built the below pic instead, I could be more sold on Verre - to me this is the superior expression of the structure. Now the crossbracing looks just like a sticker on the facade, flat, lifeless (The inside spaces are sick, as if I will ever get the chance to see this on the inside unless Powerball happens)

pic: designmagazin.cz

Whereas 111 expresses its structure on the outside. Just stunning.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 1:42 AM
BANNED

Ohio!

Spectre1000 :haha

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 10:22 PM
don't *meddle*...

Slight height bump, now 1,431' / 436m:

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/BS...de=ES683519613

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 10:24 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Its musical chairs with these height bumps. Great news nevertheless. 70 of the luckies units on the planet living essentially in an art masterpiece.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
He absolutely could! Its Batman in Neo York...

Well originally One57 was supposed to be around 1,300 feet, but was cut down because of the recession and what not. But it was quickly outclassed by other taller projects after being complete. I don't think anyone knew things were going to get as hot as they have around 57th Street.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1145
I think your confusing One57 with Tower Verre. AFAIK, One57 was always between 900 and 1100 feet in all proposals.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 9:25 PM
DENNAB

Nice height, just pass Sears already!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 12:13 AM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete8680 View Post
I think your confusing One57 with Tower Verre. AFAIK, One57 was always between 900 and 1100 feet in all proposals.
Nope, it was indeed ~1,300' at some point. Look up the One57 thread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive