HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

On this note, and since you mentioned Tavares, I seem to recall his contract being signing bonus heavy. IIRC this was done so that his signing bonuses could be paid to him as a NY resident rather than as an ON resident.
It was because every star player is front-loading their pay in anticipation of the upcoming lockout. Salaries are lost if the season doesn't occur, bonuses are not.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 4:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
On this note, and since you mentioned Tavares, I seem to recall his contract being signing bonus heavy. IIRC this was done so that his signing bonuses could be paid to him as a NY resident rather than as an ON resident.
Gee, I wonder if I could get my hospital to give me a signing bonus every year.

We're up to about 55% top marginal tax in NB.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLocker View Post
Alright so if the 7 teams of Canada were all in 1 division you wouldn't think its shocking that not even 1 has gotten the cup in 15 years.

We should have a 20 percent chance of winning almost every cup.

That'd be a win every 5 years and were not even close to that. Not 1 team made it into round 2. The writing is on the wall Canada will not win in this format. The Jets have run out of rope, the leafs are forever stuck in the "its the choaching and the pressure, and not the fact that no one wants to live in a city with such high living costs" until the end of time, with the rest forever being on the rebuild.

Calgary is the only hope for this country in more ways than 1.
You don't know much about the Jets and some of their prospects if you think they have run out of rope.

You also ignored how many Cups Canadian teams won prior to this recent slump. In the previous 25 years to 1993 going back to 1968, Canadian teams won 16 cups. Far more than their fair share as during this time frame there was between 2 - 8 teams in Canada.

The cap is designed to help the smaller market teams like the Jets, Flames, Oilers and Ottawa. If these teams have good management and draft and develop strategies it is just a matter of time before one (including the bigger Canadian markets) win the cup.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
States like Florida and Texas have an advantage given that they don't impose income taxes. But beyond that the difference is pretty minor and I doubt taxes and cost of living are more than a small part of the puzzle in terms of deciding where to go... I can't imagine anyone earning seven figures is going to be too concerned about the cost of living in NYC, for example... and if they are, they can always live in New Jersey.
Living in certain states like New York and California provide no advantages in terms of tax savings for a millionaire athlete. In fact, the taxes might be greater than any Canadian province.

Players are also taxed based on where they are playing as well so the savings are exaggerated. With half the games on the road, players will be taxed based on the tax rates of the state(s) they are playing in that particular week.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 9:44 PM

Still selling leafs donuts. I bet they go stale. I did buy a Raps one. Couldn't resist.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 10:14 PM

It's Tim Hortons, they were already stale.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 2:46 AM

Better donuts than Dunkin Donuts though! Every donut, coffee and hot chocolate I've ever had at DD was garbage, which made me appreciate TH, though it's not like it's gourmet or anything.

Actually, I was there on Tuesday too and some QC family was there. The dad picked up the girl and asked which donut do you want? She settled on these MLSE donuts and was looking back and forth and finally settled on the Raps donut. It was a sign of things to come for the Leafs that night. She is possibly a Habs fan by default so that might have subconsciously played a part too.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 3:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Still selling leafs donuts. I bet they go stale. I did buy a Raps one. Couldn't resist.

I've never liked Tom Horton's doUGHnuts ever since they stopped making their doUGHnuts fresh in-shop. I think Robin's still makes their doUGHnuts fresh everyday, which is why their quality of doUGHnuts is vastly superior.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 3:13 AM
I am the law!

Something about vegan pastries. Niche market with local bakeries? I don't think I can go back.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 1:39 PM
arf

If you find a good Robin's they are great, but they vary from store to store a lot. My personal favorite is the one on Saskatchewan Drive and Albert Street. Great selection of items and well made. The South Albert Street one has a good selection, but the quality is not as good. They skimp on the cream in the Bismark/Boston Cream. For shame.

Go Carolina!

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 5:30 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
If you find a good Robin's they are great, but they vary from store to store a lot. My personal favorite is the one on Saskatchewan Drive and Albert Street. Great selection of items and well made. The South Albert Street one has a good selection, but the quality is not as good. They skimp on the cream in the Bismark/Boston Cream. For shame.

Go Carolina!
I miss the one on 178th Street and 95th Avenue.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Better donuts than Dunkin Donuts though! Every donut, coffee and hot chocolate I've ever had at DD was garbage, which made me appreciate TH, though it's not like it's gourmet or anything.
Fine, they're the second worst donoughts money can buy.

If I'm going to eat something terrible for my health, it better taste damn good.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 9:29 PM

Tim's makes cardboard food and watery coffee, I really don't get its popularity...

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 9:40 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Tim's makes cardboard food and watery coffee, I really don't get its popularity...
They have locations literally everywhere and it's still relatively cheap all things considered.

We do have a Tim's thread if people feel the need to continue this conversation but there is still hockey being played...

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 9:40 PM
Community Guy

My old schoolmate's father used to own most/all of those in Edmonton, they WERE good.

----

Decision day returns...what to do, what to do

----
Dear Cold,

Your 2019-20 Season Seat Renewal package will arrive this week via Canada Post. Your package outlines everything you need to know to renew. This year's deadline to renew is Thursday, May 23, 2019.

We hope to you see you back at Rogers Place and thank you for your passion for Oilers hockey!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 10:14 PM
I am the law!

There was a Coffee Time on every corner before Tim Hortons made their aggressive takeover of the Toronto's donut empire. Tim Hortons was a shining light by comparison.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 5:35 AM

That means nothing really. The past in general means nothing unless you're going to cover all of the past, not just the period you'd like to cherry pick.

One can arbitrarily pick any time period when using the past, and match it to the period that works best for their team. If you compare the past year or say the past 5 years years for example Calgary is the better team.

There's one thing Calgary fans have over Canuck fans no matter how you look at it in any time period. They know the feeling of winning a cup - well those old enough to remember that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Let's compare regular season wins between 2009-10 and 2018-19. Vancouver: 391. Calgary: 384.
Let's compare playoff wins: Vancouver: 24. Calgary: 6.
Let's compare Presidents Trophies: Vancouver: 2. Calgary: 0.
Let's compare Clarence S. Campbell Bowls: Vancouver: 1. Calgary: 0.
Let's compare Art Ross Trophy winners: Vancouver: 2. Calgary: 0.
Let's compare Hart Trophy winners: Vancouver: 1. Calgary: 0.
Let's compare Lady Byng Trophy winners: Vancouver: 0. Calgary: 2.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 6:14 AM

Canucks have been a decent franchise since the early 90's and the arrival of Pat Quinn, Trevor Linden, Bure, etc. Obviously things aren't great right now, but we are assembling some elite talent to build around.

Seasons not over and I'm super excited to see what Pettersson can do in tour number 2. Quinn hughes is supremely talented and I predict will be a strong calder candidate. That's 3 years in a row with a calder level rookie.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 5:24 PM

Canucks have a bright future for sure, look forward to a day when they play the Flames in the playoffs again! Seems one almost always goes to the cup final when they meet in the first round.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Canucks have a bright future for sure, look forward to a day when they play the Flames in the playoffs again! Seems one almost always goes to the cup final when they meet in the first round.
Ya really it’s happened at least 3 times.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada