HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 6:34 PM

Half of the units are sold already?? That's crazy.

My roommate went to the design review last night but had to leave early. She said there were A LOT of people testifying against the design.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX
They usually end up in the lobby of the architect that designed it or the development company that built it, unless other arrangments are made. It's kind of like a trophy.
I figured that was the case but some of these huge development companies or national architecture firms must run out of space for all their models

Old Posted Jul 22, 2006, 12:11 AM

Had this fwd'ed to me, from a friend of a friend who was at the design hearing.
Looks like there's no stopping this one...

"although they said they liked the design they've requested them to go back and work
on a master plan and then re-submit for Design review (they said they would approve
it now, but since they'd want to see a master plan then they'd wait to approve them
together....the reason, mostly, is due to the fact that the building, with its
density, will have an impact on the infrastructure of the area. So they thought it
was necessary for them to take a look at the surroundings and do some master
planning (i think it was also a condition for getting the FAR they wanted). the
irony is that typically you do a master plan of an area which then informs some
facets of your design. in this case there is a bit of our very favorite
post-rationalization...."

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 1:06 AM

Untill May of this year, I had never heard that the Rosefriend Apartment building was to be torn down. I heard quite some time earlier, that the Carriage House was threatened, although knowing the loyalty to which some people have dedicated to that building, it seemed there was a fair chance that an answer would be found that would save it.

The same story that told of the Carriage House's plight, told of the church's ownership of the Carriage House. Maybe it was reported, but I don't remember reading anything about the church owning the entire block that the Carriage House sat on.

I wonder if anybody really knew before May of this year, about the planned demolition of the Rosefriend Apartment building, or what exactly, beyond parking facilities, the church intended to build there. Maybe people on weblogs like this knew, but it's probably safe to say, the majority of the public didn't know until just recently, like me.

So, is discarding the Rosefriend Apartment building in favor of the new 260' tower a good idea, or at least better one than a design that might have kept the Rosefriend living on, either as a stand alone re-use, or as part of a composite with the new building? I think this question requires a better answer than what the church and its contractors have presented to date.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 1:35 AM
Karma Police

This goes in the Ladd Tower thread.
Welcome, Drmyeyes.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmyeyes
I wonder if anybody really knew before May of this year, about the planned demolition of the Rosefriend Apartment building, or what exactly, beyond parking facilities, the church intended to build there. Maybe people on weblogs like this knew, but it's probably safe to say, the majority of the public didn't know until just recently, like me.

So, is discarding the Rosefriend Apartment building in favor of the new 260' tower a good idea, or at least better one than a design that might have kept the Rosefriend living on, either as a stand alone re-use, or as part of a composite with the new building? I think this question requires a better answer than what the church and its contractors have presented to date.
we've known about it around here for about two years. i have some very early (fairly ugly) renderings datestamped 6/2004. but yeah i'm sure the public at large didn't know.

i have mixed feelings about the rosefriend. on the one hand it looks great from outside, but someone here commented that it was in really bad shape inside. i don't think the tower will 'overwhelm' the park blocks as some have suggested. but on the other hand, the design is pretty disappointing.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 4:49 AM

I think many knew about (there were some articles in the Portland Tribune) and were concerned about the loss of both the Carriage House and Rosefriend Apartments but realized that saving just one of these buildings would be hard and that the Ladd Carriage House was the more valuable one to fight for. Personally I'm not too impressed with the whole project and I'd rather the Rosefriend stay along with the Carriage House than have this Ladd Tower project built. Even the earlier designs for this Ladd Tower project I thought were a lot better than this current proposal. I like the proposal on PDX Arch blog about renovating the building and doing a point tower on the other 1/4 block.

Drmyeyes: do you know what happened with this project at the design review meeting?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 4:56 AM

does anyone have any of the first renderings for the ladd tower, i never saw them

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 5:45 AM

this was the first design:

then the second design:

now the current design:

can we get a mod to move these posts to the Ladd Tower thread?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 6:00 AM

actually, this is the earliest one i know of, back when it was still known as the 'broadway-jefferson' tower:

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 6:19 AM

the first two renderings pdxstreetcar posted both look better than the current one, at least to me

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 6:31 AM

i have to say that the second one pdxstreetcar posted is my favorite

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 8:59 AM

No question, the second one is the best. Wonder why they went to a very plain looking flat topped roof.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 9:27 AM

I attended the July 20th Design Commission meeting, listened to the presentation and all speakers opposed to the design, and 2-3 people speaking in support. Exactly understanding the status of the Commission’s position in regards to the design at this point is confusing. It seems they are waiting for the applicants to submit a key document before the commission makes its decision. You can read a better explanation that still might leave you confused, in this article on portlandarchitecture.com: Design Commission Delays Ladd Tower Ruling.

I’m not sure what this means to the overall project, approval of demolition, and so forth. Maybe they’re just waiting on the other documents as a formality, to avoid potential legal hassles inherent in an approval without them. So, the Design Commission delays their ruling until Sept. 7th. Wonder whether they’ll be discussing it in the meetings between now and then.

In my opinion, the design commission raised good points at the top of the meeting about the lack of setbacks on Park Ave, and the buildings overall potential impact on the Park Blocks. Despite this, the key factor opening the way for the design in this respect, is that apparently, setbacks are not required for buildings on the park. I don’t know that the commission’s concerns were such that they would rule against the design, even though this was the case.

That’s some great archival research material bvpcvm and pdxstreetcar. I could only have wished for some dates and attribution.

Probably any of those earlier designs do a better job of deferring to the park, serving the church’s daily activities, an in general, being more interesting buildings. The “earliest” and the second design have a setback favoring the Park Blocks. The “earliest” also has the courtyard entry open to the park side, unlike the present, that opens on Broadway. The idea of a point tower, quarter block is good too.

It just seems like really extraordinary architecture, either including the Rosefriend or not, should be encouraged for this block. Sorry, but the design the development team presented July 20th does not seem to be that. This could be due to lack of oversight, lack of inspiration, or maybe something else.

I suppose it’s highly debatable as to whether the Rosefriend should live on. There are good many reasons why it should, and many logical reasons the development team wouldn’t want it to. An obvious argument against the building is that, even completely upgraded and refurbished, it would still be an old building many would consider to be less marketable in terms of profit, then a modern building with larger glass area that would be more suitable for commercial tenants on the Broadway side.

Arguments in favor? Beautiful, cozy vintage architecture, that is increasingly rare downtown. Given the choice between modern and something like the Rosefriend, some people will always choose the latter. In addition to bearing testimony to Portland’s architectural heritage, the authentic break from modernity it offers is very important to the downtown experience. I think that architecture providing this commodity is far more important than some would have us believe.

What is most disappointing about the situation, if for example, you consider the development team’s Design Commission presentation, is that nothing was presented to indicate that it explored or considered ideas that would have used the Rosefriend Apartment building as part of a working design for the block. I don’t know for certain whether the Rosefriend should go or stay, partly because a selection of seriously drawn up optional designs has not been presented. It’s very frustrating that they did not do this.

Maybe ideas for keeping the Rosefriend building would have been ultimately impractical for any number of reasons, but at the least, with such a building as the Rosefriend, they could have offered something to demonstrate that such ideas were explored; artist renderings, or even napkin sketches, cost analysis, etc.. I don’t believe the reason they apparently didn’t explore such ideas has to do with the building’ presently non-vintage interior condition, or its undoubted need for seismic stabilization. It’s more complicated than that.

We’ve seen how a vintage building can be completely gutted and seismically upgraded. Two examples: Central Library and Pioneer Courthouse. I’m trying to think of an example where a vintage building has been incorporated into the body of a new tower, but don’t have one. I think it’s been done though, and could be an exciting concept here. For some reason, the Ecotrust building with its perimeter parking lot wall, using an old building façade sticks in my mind as a local example of this. It’s more of an example of a break from modernity.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 9:33 AM

Sorry about crossing threads. Made the comment in response to those of others in regards to the Rosefriend made earlier on this thread. I’ve posted an additional comment about the Rosefriend, and if I’ve done this right, the link below connects to the Ladd Tower thread:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...76#post2207676

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 5:56 PM

What I find interesting about all of the imagery shown on the Ladd Tower thus far is that it speaks of the building as icon, not as experience. That, coupled with its inherent 'sameness' to most other housing tower projects done in recent years within the city, makes me concerned about the pedestrian experience at street level. Yes, it is tall, has planes of glass, punched openings, and balconies. What is of paramount importance to a project at this location is what the pedestrian realm is like as one is within, or on the edge of, the park blocks.
In regards to flux73's comment about the flat roof, I would tend to suggest that as the process continues to move along, cost is now coming into play. The architects threw out a move that has now become cost prohibitive. However, I would be more concerned about the flatness of the building as a whole. Yes, the roof is flat, but what about the entire building? Where is some scalar definition?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 1:21 AM
Bears of antiquity

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 3:43 AM
No longer PDX

The Whole Foods building on the Brewery Blocks or the Cristalla (SP?) tower in Seattle are examples of using an existing facade as part of a completely new building. Not sure if that would work for the Rosefriend but it seems like it would be preferable to the current faux historic plan for the base.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 6:28 AM

Hey, nice work you two! I see what you mean about the Cristalla as an idea for the Rosefriend. The development team could at least have demonstrated that they considered an idea like that. Preferably, the building could continue seeing life as low to low middle income residence, but after all, it does face Broadway. Common sense tells even me, that side of the block should command serious rent. Still, I think it's worth the effort to at least consider other ideas for an intact Rosefriend into the future. The task requires sombody with a little more moxie than those behind the wheel right now.

Excellent initiative by the poster crew. Glad to see their work, only wish they would have avoided using "fucking" in their text. Especially with the church being involved, that kind of language can work against a spirit of co-operation. In this instance though, at this point in the game, the effort is a far shot better than nothing at all. Good going people, and church: please try and be understanding about their choice of expression.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 6:51 AM
A before E

I am happy that at least one of the two buildings are going to be saved.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland