HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 21, 2005, 12:38 AM

The Metropolitan | Completed

With The Metropolitan, Hoyt Street Properties will establish a new benchmark for buildings in Portland’s Pearl District, one of the nation’s most successful new urban neighborhoods. At a mid point in their development of the area, Hoyt Street Properties envisions the 380,000-square-foot project as an icon in the city, becoming Portland’s most luxurious urban condominium building. The Metropolitan will be one of the city’s first truly mixed use projects—121 large, luxury units in a 19-story tower will be paired with a 4-story, 20,000-square-foot boutique live/work building. These two sections will be joined by over 20,000 square feet of retail space at the street level and two floors of underground parking.

At 225 feet tall, the Metropolitan will be the tallest building in the Pearl District offering sweeping views of the neighborhood, Tanner Springs Park, Jamison Square, Willamette River, mountain peaks, downtown, and the west hills. The unique design of the condominium tower allows a majority of the units to be exclusive corner units, maximizing views and daylight for unit owners.

Additional amenities are incorporated throughout the building: concierge service, a club with individual wine storage and a wine bar, an exercise room, conference facilities, guest suites, and a second floor roof garden. The building will convey the sense of luxury within—the exterior will be clad in roman travertine and a custom glass curtain wall system. Furthermore, a balance between luxury and sustainability will be promoted in the project—high performance mechanical systems, a rainwater retention and reuse system, and the incorporation of durable, low-maintenance materials will help The Metropolitan achieve LEED Silver Certification.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2005, 1:03 AM
A before E

wow, that will look stunning, the white look will really stand out over there.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2005, 1:11 AM

i like that

Old Posted Jul 21, 2005, 3:25 PM

That's gonna look pretty when coming over the Broadway Bridge (what an entrance to the Pearl if they'd light the bridge up at night).

I thought I heard they were going to use some high end materials for the skin. Something about using materials that are similiar to the Meier and Frank and 5th Ave Suites buildings...maybe that was something else?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2005, 5:20 PM
Well designed mixed use

Units will start at $500 per square foot. What's happening to our town?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2005, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX City-State
Units will start at $500 per square foot. What's happening to our town?
2 mil for 2000sq ft JEEEEBUSSSSS

Old Posted Sep 19, 2005, 3:52 PM

nice building but the price disgusts me....

Modern and sleek tower sure to turn eyes skyward as it rises in the Pearl
- Designer high-rise
Monday, September 19, 2005
FRED LEESON

Construction will begin soon on the tallest building yet in the fast-blooming Pearl District, a slender 19-story condominium to be flanked by two shorter wings for retail, townhouses and possibly office space.

The full-block project, between Northwest Lovejoy and Marshall Streets and 10th and 11th avenues, is intended to be a gateway for buildings yet to come on former railroad yards north of Lovejoy.

Planning and design for The Metropolitan, as it will be called, has taken more than a year. The Portland Design Commission approved the plan last week.

"It's a substantial and dynamic piece of architecture," said Tim Eddy, a design commission member. "It's a step in the right direction."

The developer, Hoyt Street Properties, has done several other Pearl projects such as the Streetcar Lofts, Tanner Place, The Pinnacle and the Lexis.

"It's a departure from what we've done in the past," said Tiffany Sweitzer, Hoyt Street president. "It's more contemporary than what's around it. It's more modern and has more glass. I think it's the start of what you'll see more of north of Lovejoy."

The tower will sit on the southeast quadrant of the block, reaching 225 feet. Although tall by Pearl standards, it is 100 feet shorter than the John Ross tower under construction in the South Waterfront District where city height regulations are different.

John Meadows, a principal with BOORA Architects, said The Metropolitan will be the first "slender tower" in the district with floor areas less than 10,000 square feet, or about one-quarter of the mass of buildings that occupy a full block.

Each floor will contain four condominiums, each a corner unit. With the lower townhouse wing, the project will include 136 residential units. Marketing has not yet begun for the units, but Sweitzer said the average price should fall in the $800,000 range.

No tax subsidies are in the financing plan, Sweitzer said. The city offers tax abatements for new apartment projects but not for condominiums.
Meadows, the architect, said he hopes to achieve a lighter, more crystalline feel with the tower compared with shorter, boxier buildings with brick facades nearby. The tower's exterior will include white metal panels and silver and gray trim around the windows.

Shorter wings of seven and four stories will abut Marshall Street, immediately south of the new Tanner Springs Park. Michael McCulloch, design commission chairman, said he thinks the project was planned "in sympathy" with the park.

Overall, the project offers up to 17,100 square feet of retail space, with as much as 10,000 to 15,000 available for a single retailer. Meadows said the project hopes to attract more than just boutiques.

Exterior surfaces at street level will be glass and travertine. "I think it's a human-scale building, more so than many others in the area," said Jeff Stuhr, a design commission member. "I think it bodes well for other development in the area."

Some townhouses have been designed as possible live-work spaces extending to the ground floor. Meadows said there is no proven market for offices in the area.

"It's kind of a test for us to see if it will be offices or retail," Sweitzer said.

Sweitzer said designers met with representatives of the Pearl District Neighborhood Association over the past year. There was no opposition to the development plan at the design commission's final session.

Fred Leeson: 503-294-5946; fredleeson@news.oregonian.com

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 2:05 PM

And you thought winning $340 million was enough to get you a place at the Metropolitan...

October 2005
The Metropolitan Grand Preview Opening
See, Select and Enter!

Dear Scott,

You are cordially invited to the GRAND PREVIEW
PARTY for Portland's MOST prestigious
new condominiums.

Thursday, November 3rd, 4
PM to 9 PM

Hoyt Realty Group: 1130 N.W. 10th
Ave.

Join us for the unveiling of floor plans and pricing for
the Pearl District's tallest, most exciting new
condominium tower...The Metropolitan. See model
rooms, architect's renderings, and interior color
palettes and finishes. Choose your dream living
space. Then put your "name in the hat", for the
opportunity to own a Metropolitan unit. (See
lottery rules below)

Celebration Party 6 PM to 9 PM

Celebrate the Grand Preview in style with a party
next door at the Pinnacle Building. A festive evening
of delicious edibles, cocktails, and live music from the
Mel Brown Quintet featuring Carolyn Joyce.

Due to the strong interest in The Metropolitan the
sellers have decided to use a lottery based selling
system that will allow all interested buyers to enter a
drawing for an opportunity to purchase a
condominium. Read Lottery Entry and Selection
Rules below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lottery Entry and Selection Rules...
The Metropolitan

1. Guests who attend the Grand Preview on
Thursday, November 3 will be able to enter a drawing
for the opportunity to purchase one of the
condominiums available in The Metropolitan. Most
of the 136 luxury homes will be available and offered
through the drawing.

2. Prospective buyers who are not able to
attend the Grand Preview may visit Hoyt Realty
Group on
Friday, November 4 or Saturday, November 5, 12:00-
5:00 pm to enter the drawing. Deadline for
entries is 5 pm on November 5, 2005.

3. Only one entry per prospective buyer will
be allowed. “Prospective buyers” are defined as the
person(s)
or entity whose name(s) will appear on a sales
agreement and subsequent deed at closing. The
entry
form will allow a choice of 5 unit(s), ranking them by
preference. Multiple entries by any person(s)
or entity will void all entries for that person(s) or
entity.

4. A prospective buyer’s agent (co-op
agent) may submit an entry for a client. However,
the client’s
full name and contact information must be on the
lottery form for the entry to be valid. Agent
information must also be included on the form,
however the prospective buyer, not the agent,
will be the person notified if their name is drawn.

5. A third-party witnessed drawing will take
place Sunday, November 6th. Two hundred entries
will
be drawn and assigned a number 1 through 200. The
first 20 names drawn will be drawn from
entries by current owners of projects previously
developed by Hoyt Street Properties.

6. Prospective buyers whose names have
been drawn will be contacted by phone within 1
week to
schedule an appointment to meet with a salesperson.

7. If the person(s) whose name is drawn
cannot be reached by phone, or is unavailable to
meet with
a salesperson and/or is unprepared to enter into a
sales agreement within two weeks of phone
notification, they will be disqualified. A 5% earnest
money deposit (5% of the sales price) is due
at the time of entering into the sales agreement.

8. Buyer’s lottery positions are not
transferable to any other party, including family
members.

9. The seller has stipulated that sales
agreements will only be accepted for owner-occupied
units and
buyers will be required to attest to this on the sales
agreement.

10. The seller reserves the right to control
all aspects of the marketing effort for the
Metropolitan at
its sole discretion.

11. For more information about the Grand
Preview event or drawing, contact Hoyt Realty
Group, at 503.227.2000.

We hope to see you at the Metropolitan Preview
Opening Celebration!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 3:37 PM

oh, I'm sure if you dropped a few million of that jackpot their way, they'd find a way to bump you up that lottery list. Hell, they just might even throw in a personal elevator up to your penthouse...Money seems to speak pretty loudly to our Pearly developers, especially when they are selling their condos at over $500 a square foot...ouch!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 7:05 PM
No longer PDX

These lottery things are just a marketing scheme to make the project seem "exclusive" allowing the developer to inflate the sales prices.

Hoyt Street: "Oooo, you can't have one unless you're a lucky winner."

Buyer: "Wow, everyone must want one and I'll be left out unless I buy right now! They'll never build another one like this!"

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 7:45 PM

I heard the lottery system was created because people were actually breaking out into fights, cramming the sales office, and shouting profanities at the agents while waiting to reserve their condos at the Lexis. Stupid people, I'm glad I'm not moving in there!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 9:36 PM

the lottery sounds like choosing a dorm room, but wow thats crazy about the fights over condos, must be some pretty nice condos then. Maybe because its one of the last great locations in the Pearl.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 9:49 PM

I believe this is common in Vancouver BC. The demand is just that strong.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 10:47 PM

actually they were fighting over condos in the Lexis...which I found really strange as that isn't a particularly flashy building.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 11:10 PM
Cascadia Rising

As crazy as fighting over condos is (and while I don't condone it haha) this HAS to speak well for the success that subsequent condo towers in Portland will have! The skyline is going to be really impressive within the next few years for sure.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2005, 11:45 PM
No longer PDX

I heard the "fight" excuse from Hoyt Street as well. I think the Lexis was quite a bit cheaper than the other buildings (wood construction) and so speculators were fighting over the best units.

It's funny how things have changed in the condo market. When I bought my place a few years ago I got to take several months to choose a unit and even put a "courtesy hold" on a couple that I liked before deciding.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2005, 1:18 AM

This isn't re: Portland, but it shows just how ridiculous things can get:

HOUSE & HOME/STYLE DESK

Condo Fever Turns Buyers Into Early Birds

By MOTOKO RICH (NYT) 1829 words
Published: February 3, 2005

ANGELINA UMANSKY, a 39-year-old spa owner from San Francisco, was visiting a friend in Miami two weeks ago when she heard about a new condo development downtown. Hoping to find a vacation home, but worried that others were interested, too, Ms. Umansky arrived at the sales office at 8 a.m. the day after seeing some model units.
About 50 other buyers were already in line. Two hours later, a sales agent summoned her and said she had four minutes to decide which unit to buy. She acted fast, offering $350,000 for a two-bedroom, two-bathroom unit.

Ms. Umansky thinks she got a bargain; when she called on behalf of a friend less than eight hours later, she was told the asking price on a unit like hers had climbed to $380,000, a nearly 9 percent price increase.

Just when it seemed as if the real estate market couldn't get any barmier, it has. With inventories lagging behind demand and prices for new homes rising seemingly by the hour in destination cities like New York and second-home markets like Miami and Orlando, home buyers are camping out overnight in front of sales offices, pestering brokers and developers and scooping up multiple units in the real estate version of scalping.''This is a perfect storm for a frenzied housing market,'' said Susan Wachter, a professor of real estate at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. ''The economy is strengthening, the restrictions on development are increasing and long-term mortgage rates are still historically low.'' Ms. Wachter added that as interest rates start to creep up, more buyers tend to pile into the market, trying to lock in good rates.

Across the country, according to the National Association of Home Builders, the number of new condos sold jumped 32 percent to an estimated 115,000 in 2004 compared with a year earlier. And in New York the number of condo sales in the three months through December 2004 increased 8.2 percent over the same period a year earlier, and average condo prices were up 11.1 percent to $1.29 million, according to Miller Samuel, a New York real estate appraiser.

The gold rush mentality has some economists concerned. Some buyers of new condos and houses are behaving like day-traders before the dot-com crash, said John Vogel Jr., a real estate professor at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College.

In some cases, developers are actually creating the frenzy. In central Florida, Transeastern Homes, which builds subdivisions, asks prospective buyers to put down a refundable deposit of $500 to $5,000 to reserve a time slot to buy a house that has yet to be built, sometimes without knowing more than the general location of the subdivision and a price range.

Buyers review floor plans and maps first at a Web site or in a brochure. When they arrive at the sales ''event,'' typically at a hotel or a convention center, they spend five minutes looking at a map and choosing a home before the next buyer moves to the front of the line. Price increases -- up to 16 a day-- are announced over loudspeakers.

''People get excited and get caught up in it,'' said Joel Lazar, a Transeastern vice president. ''Even if they weren't planning on buying a home, they convince themselves to buy a home.''

Last Sunday, Jeanette Gomez, a banquet server at a resort hotel, drove her mother, Maria Gomez, to her 11:12 a.m. appointment at a hotel in west Orlando. Although the senior Ms. Gomez wasn't planning to buy, she ended up making an $18,500 down payment on a two-bedroom town house. ''I pushed her,'' her daughter said. ''I said 'Just do it.' I think it's a good buy because the sales agent told us the price already went up $20,000 since yesterday.''

What's lost in the giddiness is a sense of history. ''People have a belief that's not true: that you can't lose money in real estate,'' said Joseph Gyourko, a real estate professor at Wharton. ''We know from the late 80's and early 90's that you can.''

In New York, for example, median sales prices -- the exact middle of all sales prices -- peaked at $375,000 in 1987 before plunging 45 percent to a low of $205,000 in 1995. Median prices did not climb back up to their 1980's levels again until 2000, according to Miller Samuel. In the Northeast, the National Association of Realtors said median sales prices fell 11 percent from 1988 to 1989, and did not return to 1988 levels until 2001.

That doesn't stop some buyers from making impulsive down payments on condos that don't yet exist. In October, AnneMarie Alexander, then a broker with Prudential Douglas Elliman, took some brochures and parked her BMW 740 in front of a hole in the ground on 17th Street in Chelsea. She proceeded to sell five luxury condos -- at prices above $1 million each -- from the back seat of her car. ''I showed them the site through a hole in the fence,'' Ms. Alexander said.

Last summer, arguments erupted when 50 prospective buyers spent the night in front of a 16-unit building in Park Slope, Brooklyn, before an open house. As a result, the Corcoran Group, which marketed the property, now sells new condos only by appointment, said Jay Schippers, head of new development for Corcoran in Brooklyn.

Now buyers and their brokers are quarreling over viewing dates. Security guards at 56 Pine Street, a 90-unit condo in Manhattan, called the police to escort two brokers out of a sales office last month. ''They said they were not leaving until they got an appointment,'' said Andy Gerringer, a managing director of Prudential Douglas Elliman, which is helping to sell the condos.

If all else fails, some buyers try bribery. When 3,600 people showed up for a party showcasing a 419-unit condo project in Arlington, Va., last September, the developers booked appointments through the end of January. Afterward, those who had missed out were ''offering us lunch and tickets to baseball games,'' said David Klimas, a broker with McWilliams/Ballard, which was marketing the development. (Mr. Klimas said the buyers' tactics did not work.)

Hoping to beat out the crowds vying last fall for apartments in the Toy Factory Lofts, a new condominium in downtown Brooklyn, Jason Lynn showed up at 11 p.m. -- 14 hours before the sales office opened. He was carrying a fold-up chair, his iPod, some tennis balls (for pick-up handball) and a book. Before long there were enough other early birds to start a card game.

Mr. Lynn says he was happy to stay up all night. He landed a 700-square-foot loft for $314,000 -- 15 percent more than he would have paid at an open house two days earlier.

''There is always a frenzy at the beginning of a development because the prices are lower,'' said David Behin, an executive vice president at the Developers Group, which handled sales at the Toy Factory.

Some excited buyers aim to get a jump on property before it is advertised. Kenneth Horn, president of Alchemy Properties, which is developing a 67-unit condo on 19th Street in Chelsea, said he already has more than 200 individuals and more than 300 brokers on a waiting list for the development, which has yet to receive approval from the attorney general's office, which regulates new real estate.

Brokers field calls from people poised to sign a contract the minute one is available. Some check in three times a day, said Michael Klein, an agent with Liberty Realty in Hoboken, N.J. A couple of times last year, he said, he called clients at 11 p.m. to share floor plans fresh from the printer. The buyers signed deals the same night.

Hoping to manage the crush, the developers of Maxwell Place, a luxury condominium project in a renovated coffee plant on the Hoboken waterfront, told interested buyers in November that they would need appointments, available only to 77 people and only by calling an 800 number at exactly 1 p.m. on a Tuesday. Within an hour, all 77 appointments were taken.

Mr. Vogel, the real estate professor, said the sales hysteria has troubling parallels. ''We've now moved past the stage of people saying we've got to get in before it's too late,'' said Mr. Vogel. ''Now we're at the speculator stage.''

Indeed, Harold Gallo, director for marketing of the Related Group, a developer in Miami with a 1,000-unit condo that sold out in 36 hours last spring, said that about 50 percent of the buyers were investors -- in other words, people who will never live in the apartments and often sell them before anyone moves in. Mr. Vogel said that the frantic buying was characteristic of the tech bubble before it collapsed, adding, ''It speeded up.''

The biggest threat to the housing boom is a sharp increase in mortgage rates. ''That will quickly knock the wind out of these housing markets and the psychology will reverse as quickly as it appeared,'' said Mark Zandi, the chief economist at Economy.com, a private research group. For now, interest rates are expected to rise modestly throughout the year.

None of the naysaying bothers Kathleen Gillman, an interior designer, and her son Patrick, a real estate agent, who bought a $200,000 town house in Orlando at a Transeastern sales event last Saturday. Four months ago Mr. Gillman bought another house nearby, his mother said, adding that it is now worth $50,000 more. ''It is interesting how many different viewpoints are out there about whether it's going to level off now, go on for 10 more years or one more year,'' she said. ''Right now we're going to take the viewpoint that it's certainly not over yet.''

Photos: TAKE A NUMBER -- At a high-pressure sales event in Orlando, Fla., last week, home buyers made reservations to bid. (Photo by Gregg Matthews for The New York Times)(pg. F1); THE BUYING GAME -- Hopeful shoppers lined up last fall to see new condos in Brooklyn, left; two days later, an early bird, Jason Lynn, camped in the lobby and landed a place, right. (Photographs by Lori Berkowitz for The New York Times); CABIN FEVER -- As developers fan the frenzy at sales events like this one, held last week by Transeastern Homes in Orlando, Fla., buyers vie for houses before they are built. (Photo by Gregg Matthews for The New York Times)(pg. F10)

Old Posted Nov 7, 2005, 5:06 PM

latest Metropolitan renderings provided on NW forum by edirp, (building under construction)

Old Posted Nov 7, 2005, 8:45 PM

Beautiful. Echoes of mid-century modern. Very crisp, cool, and sophisticated.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 6:14 PM

surprise surprise...

Demand Out Distances Housing Supply
11/10/2005

On Thursday November 3rd The Metropolitan sales were kicked off with a three-day buyers’ preview of the 136-unit condominium community. At the end of the preview, 500 buyers had indicated their interest in purchasing one of the homes.

“We had a sense that we would have more buyers interested than we had homes to sell,” said Tiffany Sweitzer, President of Hoyt Street Properties (HSP). “Prior to the launch more than 4,600 inquiries had been received regarding the project.”

Faced with this enviable problem, HSP and Hoyt Realty Group designed a lottery system that gave everyone an equal chance at purchasing a home. On Sunday November 6th two hundred names were drawn and the process of informing the winners began the following day.

As the developer of a 30-block neighborhood in the Pearl District, Hoyt Street Properties is accustomed to a high level of interest in its projects. For example, the 124 unit Park Place condominium, overlooking Jamison Park, sold out just 8 months after it opened in May 2004. A year later the Pinnacle Condominium’s 176 homes were sold before its doors opened.

“We believe this increased level of interest is directly related to the progress we are making in transforming a former railroad yard into a unique mixed-use community,” speculated Sweitzer. “After 10 years of effort people are now able to feel and visualize the distinctive nature of our urban neighborhood with its own lively character and personality.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland