HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #161  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 6:40 PM
saskatoonborn saskatoonborn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I have mixed feelings on the proposed changes. As a driver, I'm generally not a fan of eliminating lanes and find that stretch of Idylwyld usually not that bad, so long as you keep to the most easterly lane, both northbound and southbound.

However, the current "turning lane" from Idylwyld southbound onto Auditorium Ave (by Cactus Club) is only about 2/3 of a lane wide and creates a real hazard, either backing up traffic or having passing vehicles squeezing into the adjacent lane. Similarly the mixed turning/through lane northbound at 22nd Street causes confusion. Fixing those two issues would be very beneficial.
Do you think switching the direction of the one way street would be better? and putting a turning lane o 22nd or forcing people to go straight threw the light on Pacific to get into that location?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #162  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 6:45 PM
Crisis's Avatar
Crisis Crisis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
Do you think switching the direction of the one way street would be better? and putting a turning lane o 22nd or forcing people to go straight threw the light on Pacific to get into that location?
I think that the Cactus Club people would go ballistic if people couldn't get access directly from Idylwyld.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #163  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 9:10 PM
saskatoonborn saskatoonborn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I think that the Cactus Club people would go ballistic if people couldn't get access directly from Idylwyld.
it wouldnt take long for people to figure it out. Cactus club also isn't fast food where people will just pick the closest one and turn in, I'm assuming most people plan on going there. and whose to say you couldnt turn right still. you just cant turn left. which means you would be coming from the 22nd street direction anyways.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #164  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 6:41 PM
Arts Arts is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 473
Quote:
"There's these little pork chops and it's like you're playing Frogger," said Magus, referring to the islands beyond the right-hand turn lanes.

"You do a leapfrog to the pork chop island and scurry across the street."

The pavement will be narrowed in those sections, and the right-hand turn lanes will be removed from behind the street light, so pedestrians won't have to leapfrog.
Those "little pork chops" at 22nd St are there for good reason, specifically to make it safer for pedestrians, not more dangerous. I think doing away with the ones on the East side could makes sense, but 22nd St West of Idylwld is actually part of the provincial highway network and there is heavy traffic turning onto and off of 22nd, those channelized right turn lanes are crucial and are more important than the visual beautification.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #165  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 7:08 PM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 3,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
Those "little pork chops" at 22nd St are there for good reason, specifically to make it safer for pedestrians, not more dangerous. I think doing away with the ones on the East side could makes sense, but 22nd St West of Idylwld is actually part of the provincial highway network and there is heavy traffic turning onto and off of 22nd, those channelized right turn lanes are crucial and are more important than the visual beautification.
Is it still considered part of the provincial network though? I thought that with the opening of Circle Drive South the designation of Idylwyld inside Circle was changed. Idylwyld inside Circle Drive is no longer a designated truck route for one: https://www.saskatoon.ca/sites/defau...august2013.pdf

It seems to me that one of the project's objectives are to remove any remnant features of this section of Idylwyld as a highway route once and for all so that it won't continue to be viewed as or function as such.

The corridor will continue to carry a lot of vehicle traffic, this is certainly true. But as a driver I appreciate a road that is more coherent and predictable than Idylwyld in its current state (continuous lanes that don't start/stop, dedicated turning lanes, etc.).

I think this project is an important piece of city-building for our city centre and look forward to the changes.
__________________
SASKATOON PHOTO TOURS
2013: [Part I] [Part II] | [2014] | [2016]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #166  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 7:37 PM
Arts Arts is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Is it still considered part of the provincial network though? I thought that with the opening of Circle Drive South the designation of Idylwyld inside Circle was changed. Idylwyld inside Circle Drive is no longer a designated truck route for one: https://www.saskatoon.ca/sites/defau...august2013.pdf

It seems to me that one of the project's objectives are to remove any remnant features of this section of Idylwyld as a highway route once and for all so that it won't continue to be viewed as or function as such.

The corridor will continue to carry a lot of vehicle traffic, this is certainly true. But as a driver I appreciate a road that is more coherent and predictable than Idylwyld in its current state (continuous lanes that don't start/stop, dedicated turning lanes, etc.).

I think this project is an important piece of city-building for our city centre and look forward to the changes.
You could have a point about the highway designations being moved in the future, but AFAIK the provincial highway signage is still posted at points along Idylwyld and 22nd. I haven't been able to find any info on this on the Province's website. As for the truck routes that is a completely different system which I believe is maintained completely by the city, has no bearing on provincial highway designation.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #167  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 7:46 PM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 3,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
You could have a point about the highway designations being moved in the future, but AFAIK the provincial highway signage is still posted at points along Idylwyld and 22nd. I haven't been able to find any info on this on the Province's website. As for the truck routes that is a completely different system which I believe is maintained completely by the city, has no bearing on provincial highway designation.
Thanks, that is good to know.

I'm not sure from what recess of my mind I got this impression, but I seem to remember reading or hearing somewhere that the designation changed with the Circle Dr South opening and that the highway signage on Idylwyld could now be removed and that it would be done as part of these improvements.

But I've remembered things wrong in the past.
__________________
SASKATOON PHOTO TOURS
2013: [Part I] [Part II] | [2014] | [2016]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #168  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 5:15 PM
The Bess The Bess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 641
Here's an update on the newest overpasses being built

http://www.sasknow.ca/local-news/int...r-installation
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #169  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 2:24 AM
The Bess The Bess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 641
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #170  
Old Posted May 5, 2018, 9:44 PM
circle33's Avatar
circle33 circle33 is offline
Has been
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 4,891
I haven't seen any North Bridge pictures on here. Since I was up that way today I thought I'd share.







As exciting as a bowl or Corn Flakes.
__________________
signature
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #171  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 2:10 PM
The Bess The Bess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 641
Based on what other cities are doing with their downtown freeways the changes coming for Idylwyld makes a lot of sense.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...lace-1.4711713
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #172  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 5:51 PM
The Bess The Bess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 641
Meewasin application fo phase 2 of north east swale implementation master plan


https://meewasin.com/assets/upload/r...NE%20Swale.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #173  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 2:15 PM
The Bess The Bess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 641
Not directly in Saskatoon but certainly affects it

https://globalnews.ca/news/4337321/o...sville-warman/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #174  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 4:03 PM
The Bess The Bess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 641
Boychuck overpass news update

http://www.ckom.com/2018/08/07/387301/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #175  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 2:15 PM
The Bess The Bess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 641
They are going to eventually need some sort of fence for larger wildlife on Mcormond

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...idge-1.4801251
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #176  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 2:08 AM
The Bess The Bess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 641
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #177  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 7:51 PM
The Bess The Bess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 641
It will be interesting to see how many animals do get hit on new roads through swale. They may need more protection for animals in years to come.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4511192/w...ue-extensions/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #178  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:31 PM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 3,450
__________________
SASKATOON PHOTO TOURS
2013: [Part I] [Part II] | [2014] | [2016]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #179  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 3:50 PM
saskatoonborn saskatoonborn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 280
Decided to go for a drive. Boy its nice drive from Attridge to Wanuskewin. Drove the new traffic bridge too. I like that it's close to my house. But honestly I will use it primarily as a pedestrian bridge. maybe occassionally drive over it with my car.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #180  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 4:17 PM
mitchellk12's Avatar
mitchellk12 mitchellk12 is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
Decided to go for a drive. Boy its nice drive from Attridge to Wanuskewin. Drove the new traffic bridge too. I like that it's close to my house. But honestly I will use it primarily as a pedestrian bridge. maybe occassionally drive over it with my car.
went for a drive this morning on the whole north portion from college/mccormond to marquis/wanuskewin and back, its a very nice drive, not very many intersections which is good for the rush hour traffic. Aside from that, its alot longer than i anticipated. gives you an idea on how much we have grown out on that area. Looking forward to seeing the city develop around the swale a bit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:54 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.