HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Wonder what ever happened to the Vendome being part of a development.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...otel-1.3781621
Hopefully Artis is still working on it.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 8:45 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^ahhh, good eye. Well I want that one then.
I did a quick Google search. In 1918 that address, 300 Fort Street, was home to the McDonald Willson Lighting Company.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
The Vendome sign is on the Vendome, with a simple line of lights on the recently removed cornice.

The really elaborate light display is on the building next door, where the Fort Street Clinic now stands.
Apparently the owner just threw the cornice out.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Apparently the owner just threw the cornice out.
At the time it wasn't listed as a heritage building. And comparing the 1898 and 1970s images in the article, the cornice wasn't entirely original either. (Somewhere along the line another floor was added.)

The cornice wouldn't have been removed without reason. I'm guessing it was a safety issue. You can imagine how a phone call to Heritage Winnipeg would have gone:

Heritage Winnipeg: The cornice must be kept for posterity!

Building owner: It's the width of the building. You'll pick it up and store it then?

Heritage Winnipeg: *click*

And that's assuming that there was much left. I doubt they got it off the building and to the ground in one piece.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 12:51 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

it was falling off the building had chunks missing

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 3:14 AM

The litup building was the National Theatre. Vaudeville, it says, though there are movie posters in front.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/street...-7DBYAD-Qw56Qt

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 3:19 AM
Starring as himself

I seem to recollect that that display of lights was in honour of a visit by, I believe, the Governor General the Duke of Connaught. Someone like that.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubberMiley View Post
The litup building was the National Theatre. Vaudeville, it says, though there are movie posters in front.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/street...-7DBYAD-Qw56Qt
Interesting. That image is labeled "July 1918."

The McDonald Willson Lighting Company had an ad in the Free Press on Feb 8, 1918 telling people that they were still open (at 300 Fort Street) for despite a recent fire in the building. (Not the Fire Sale ad. The smaller ad above it.)

The city's write-up on the Vendome has a good shot of the National Theatre's façade near the bottom:

Quote:
Plate 24 - National Theatre, 298 Fort Street, 1913. The National, opened as the Victoria Theatre in 1912 showing photoplays (movies) but became a vaudeville house in 1913. It reopened as the National, a movie theatre, in 1915 and closed in 1926.
Slightly different address than other references, but there was nothing between it and the Vendome. The modern building seems to have address for both 298 and 300 Fort.

Another ad in the Tribune on April 27 1927: "To Visit The McDonald Electrical Show 300 FORT ST..."

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 6:20 AM

The façade had the old city hall's sense of decorum and subtlety.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 1:39 PM

Came across this photo of the Codville warehouse, which was at Portage Avenue East and Westbrook Street until the 1990s. I think this was discussed earlier in this thread. Was certainly a big one.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 1:46 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Definitely a sad loss, and one that came fairly late in the game (early 90s) before the potential of old warehouses began to be realized.

One question though, what is the grey building on the NW corner of Portage E and Westbrook? I don't remember ever seeing a building there, that picture must have been from before my time.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 2:11 PM

Thanks, while that photo has been posted several times before, I do not mind seeing it over and over...but maybe I do because it is a reminder LOL.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 2:18 PM
What could go wrong?

Can you imagine still having that roadway just to the east along the tracks at the Forks with those 3 beautiful two story corner buildings. What a great way to start the redevelopment of the Railside Development if they could re-create some of that somehow.

Great photos
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 2:20 PM

Totally agree Biff.

I wish P&M was still intact per this photo...

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Can you imagine still having that roadway just to the east along the tracks at the Forks with those 3 beautiful two story corner buildings. What a great way to start the redevelopment of the Railside Development if they could re-create some of that somehow.

Great photos
Yeah, that was a huge missed opportunity in the development of the Forks. Easy to imagine these buildings repurposed as microbreweries or something like that today.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 2:30 PM

Mine

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 3:03 PM

And after:

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 3:15 PM

Main between Graham and Portage, sigh. The McIntyre Block, sigh.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 3:15 PM

Love the photo of the old CN East Yards.

The old 1889 Northern Pacific train shed just behind the Federal Bldg. was still in existence. I can't remember what it was used for in those years, some sort of offices I guess.

It looks to be post-fire for the St. Boniface Cathedral as the roof and turrets are gone and the north wall stands at a greater extent than present so it would appear construction of the new cathedral behind the facade had not yet begun. I think it was completed in '72. The Fort Garry Court is in the photo at Main at Broadway.

There's no trolleybus wires visible along Main. The St. Mary's route was served by trolleybuses until the summer of '69 so pretty sure that the photo was most likely taken in the very late summer of '69 or maybe '70. By '71 I'm thinking that the new St. Boniface Cathedral would have been visibly under construction

Really miss the Empire but The Forks is without doubt the best development Winnipeg ever undertook.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 3:21 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ Yes, I was born in 1971 so your guesstimate of 69 or 70 is probably right. I would have remembered some of those things back in ole 71.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan