HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 10:26 PM

The city has posted their list of streets and alleys to be fixed this year.

https://www.regina.ca/residents/road.../construction/

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 12:11 AM

So the city's road construction list includes the Argyle/Ring Road overpass getting a "North Diamond". What exactly are they doing?

Last edited by pappcam; May 14, 2018 at 4:02 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 2:14 PM
arf

I'm guessing adding the NorthWest portion of the configuration to allow traffic onto the Ring Road travelling West from Argyle.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
As a resident of Saskatoon and frequent visitor to Regina (for business and pleasure...go Riders...), I find it really hard to compare the two downtowns. They have very different and distinct feels to them.

Regina seems to be modeled after more "modern" cities with an emphasis on glass and concrete and high rise office towers. An aesthetic that many attribute to 'successful' cities.

Saskatoon definitely has more of a european feel, with older/character buildings and low rise emphasis. I would have to say more 'streetscaping' emphasis as well, that caters to foot traffic experience.

My own experience is that the Saskatoon model creates a more people friendly experience and the Regina model, as has been mentioned in previous post, has the consequence of people vacating downtown at end of day, instead of going back to downtown for shops, restaurants, lounges and entertainment.

I WOULD agree that Regina's vibe is definitely improving! And I would say BOTH cities could be doing more. And I agree that city planning and councils CAN and SHOULD influence the development of their respective cities....seems a lot of talk but not much action in terms of policies that have some bite/power.

Whew....that was a long ramble.
Great ramble though!!! I agree with you!

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 4:55 PM
Saskatchewan pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'm guessing adding the NorthWest portion of the configuration to allow traffic onto the Ring Road travelling West from Argyle.
I don't think they are building a new ramp. Its not practical or safe with the lights at Pasqua. I'm guessing they are just improving the intersection to accommodate the increased traffic flow to Hawkstone.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I don't think they are building a new ramp. Its not practical or safe with the lights at Pasqua. I'm guessing they are just improving the intersection to accommodate the increased traffic flow to Hawkstone.
Yeah, I think Pasqua and Albert are too close to Argyle to modify that intersection much. There are red flags and paint markings near the Ring Road on-ramp so I assume it's just an intersection improvement of some sort. Probably traffic lights to grind traffic to a halt.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 8:57 PM
Saskatchewan pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Yeah, I think Pasqua and Albert are too close to Argyle to modify that intersection much. There are red flags and paint markings near the Ring Road on-ramp so I assume it's just an intersection improvement of some sort. Probably traffic lights to grind traffic to a halt.
That should make things interesting at late rush-hour. I'm so glad I don't live in the NW anymore! The city might have to start mandating doubling up on ramps during rush hour like they do in cities like Minneapolis.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 5:46 AM

Picture Updates of the College Avenue Campus Restoration/Expansion...

I really hope they redo the parallel paths leading up to Darke Hall.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 6:08 AM

Sasktel Building on 11th

View from Cornwall Street. (Sasktel Building crane in the distance. New Parking lot with lots of new trees next to Legion building. Looks really nice on this side of the street.

View facing east side of Cornwall Street. These buildings are just aching for some restoration and main floor retail/restaurant/pub right off the plaza!!! Perfect for patio additions too!

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 6:19 AM

Scarth Street needs those tree seating planters either painted and or/redone. Also some of the trees closer to the Hill Centre Towers need to be removed and new ones planted. I will highlight my distaste for the ugly and forgotten state of the brick work of Scarth Street compared to the new plaza. They need to either fix all the brick or continue the modern grey look and brick product that was used in the plaza. Also, I really do feel Scarth needs a fountain or some water feature. They removed the center raised brick platform. Not sure why.

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; May 15, 2018 at 6:43 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 6:33 AM

Updates to Southland Cineplex finally. After years of their signage deteriorating, they are getting their act together...plus new carpet.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:04 PM

The paving bricks on the Hill Mall are really deteriorating. They have been doing spot repairs over the last few years but infrequently. I am not sure why the City spent several weeks removing the central oval podium and replacing it with flat bricks. The benches were all painted in the last week or so.

In other Hill Mall news, Jugo Juice is open on the main level of Tower I. Also I have heard that Evolution Fitness is expanding to an adjacent building, which surprises me.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:35 PM
Saskatchewan pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The paving bricks on the Hill Mall are really deteriorating. They have been doing spot repairs over the last few years but infrequently. I am not sure why the City spent several weeks removing the central oval podium and replacing it with flat bricks. The benches were all painted in the last week or so.

In other Hill Mall news, Jugo Juice is open on the main level of Tower I. Also I have heard that Evolution Fitness is expanding to an adjacent building, which surprises me.
Goodlife is always busy when I go, east or south, and there were some gym closures recently, so it doesn't surprise me. Fitness is in. Oxygen Yoga and Fitness, which is near Superstore on Pasqua and Rochdale, where I also go and is always busy, should be opening a new location on Pasqua near 25th in the location Soma vacated when they moved to a larger unit. Its blocks away from my house so I'm excited about that.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:50 PM

Quote:

Jugo Juice is in process to get outside signage. Currently you don’t even know it’s there. Also hope they will install a permanent outdoor patio like Famoso did.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Goodlife is always busy when I go, east or south, and there were some gym closures recently, so it doesn't surprise me. Fitness is in. Oxygen Yoga and Fitness, which is near Superstore on Pasqua and Rochdale, where I also go and is always busy, should be opening a new location on Pasqua near 25th in the location Soma vacated when they moved to a larger unit. Its blocks away from my house so I'm excited about that.
I am just surprised about Evolution, not the industry in general.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
That should make things interesting at late rush-hour. I'm so glad I don't live in the NW anymore! The city might have to start mandating doubling up on ramps during rush hour like they do in cities like Minneapolis.
Likely traffic lights yup. Argyle extension has more or less made that a reality not to mention the soon to be Capital Crossing and other new retail up there.

I just with the city would build an acceleration lane at Arcola between Ring Road and university park drive. Stop sign *Doh*

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Also I have heard that Evolution Fitness is expanding to an adjacent building, which surprises me.
This seems unlikely, unless you mean they are expanding to the floor below them. I don't know why they would expand to a different landlord when their existing has vacancy.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 1:29 AM
Saskatchewan pride

Quote:
I am just surprised about Evolution, not the industry in general.
Fair enough. Ya, that downtown Evolution requires a premium membership I believe.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Updates to Southland Cineplex finally. After years of their signage deteriorating, they are getting their act together...plus new carpet.
New carpet? Wow - maybe this will prod Chapters to install new carpet... I think 20+ years is a good run. There have been spots in their carpet that have been worn through to the subfloor for at least 10 years, if not 15.

Not unlike the Cineplex sign... most companies are protective of their brand to a compulsive degree - the fact Cineplex knew about those signs & did nothing for 5 or more years was a signal to me that they were planning to close the theatre, and hopefully open a new one (in that Grasslands building that was shaped on the site plan exactly like numerous Cineplex locations, but that ultimately ended up being Winners/Homesense/Little Caesars/ et el in buildings that look nothing like the box on the site plan).

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:21 PM

Drone video of Mobil Grain/AGT new intermodal facility under construction on Regina's eastern edge.

https://twitter.com/CNRailway/status/992516829179412482

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan