HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
...a popular flight (since it starts in Toronto and can draw on a large pool of travellers) and hopefully will lead to other Westjet international flights originating in Toronto (or Calgary) and stopping in Halifax for fuel (I assume) and passengers.
Great. A full plane from Toronto means crappy seats for Halifax passengers...

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
The flight from Toronto is also sold as a standard Toronto to Halifax route, so there will be tickets sold to passengers who want that departure time to Halifax and will disembark in Halifax.

As well every seat on the Halifax - Glasgow flight is available to purchase by those wishing to depart (or connecting through) Halifax instead of Toronto.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 12:21 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Out of curiosity I checked the Westjet online reservation link for that flight to Glasgow and people departing from Halifax can select their seats in advance. Not all Toronto passengers will continue on to Glasgow but will just get off in Halifax.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 12:24 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
The flight from Toronto is also sold as a standard Toronto to Halifax route, so there will be tickets sold to passengers who want that departure time to Halifax and will disembark in Halifax.

As well every seat on the Halifax - Glasgow flight is available to purchase by those wishing to depart (or connecting through) Halifax instead of Toronto.
I think we are in agreement on this since we typed similar responses at about the same time

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I think we are in agreement on this since we typed similar responses at about the same time
Yeah, I think your right. The only way the Halifax would have been shafted on seat selection would have been if WS30 from Toronto was not available to purchase as a YYZ-YHZ ticket only. This is clearly not the case as Westjet would want to sell as many tickets as possible on each segment of a flight.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 12:56 PM
Honored Member

Out of interest, Halifax has several "Sun" non-stop destinations during the winter time - http://hiaa.ca/flight-information/no...-from-halifax/, I wonder how many of these "Sun" destinations are connections from other parts of Canada? For example, would passengers from Calgary usually go through Toronto or would some go through Halifax? Is Halifax becoming a secondary hub for such flights south during the winter time?

Geographically, international flights from Halifax on smaller jets (newer generation 737's and Airbus 320's) across the Atlantic makes sense. Flights from Calgary could use fuel efficient 737's, re-fuel and broad passengers in Halifax and continue on the same jet across the Atlantic. I wonder if the regular Westjet 737-700's (not extended range 737's that require additional fuel capacity) could make it to France? Such planes could use smaller international airports that aren't as crowded as the major airports.

Last edited by fenwick16; Oct 4, 2014 at 1:07 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 2:15 AM

Dont know if anybody mentioned it but I was at the airport Saturday and noticed that work has started on a bridge over the employee parking access road (Goudey Dr.). Concrete abutments are almost finished.

Also there is a temporary fence around the old Petro Can.. Demo must be imminent???

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 2:17 AM

A 737 to Europe....

Not sure if want.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 3:43 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby074 View Post
A 737 to Europe....

Not sure if want.
Twin jet aircraft commonly fly transatlantic (such as the 767). Any 737 (Westjet will use a 737-700) that would fly transatlantic, such as the Toronto-Halifax-Glasgow flight, would have to be certified to do so. It is referred to as ETOPS which stands for Extended Range Twin Operations - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETOPS. Here is a link to an old report (from 2006) that shows the range of the 737-700 and 737-700ER (extended range) from Toronto - http://www.intervistas.com/downloads..._feb2006_c.pdf (the source of the image below). By using Halifax as the take-off point it appears as though several mainland Europe airports could be reached by the Westjet 737-700's.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 12:05 PM

Im not talking about Etops. Im quite familiar.

Twinjets are dominating the trans-ocean routes now due to reduced costs, fact of life.

Im talking about being stuck on a Narrow body 737 for that length of time as opposed to just about anything widebody.*shudder*

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Out of interest, Halifax has several "Sun" non-stop destinations during the winter time - http://hiaa.ca/flight-information/no...-from-halifax/, I wonder how many of these "Sun" destinations are connections from other parts of Canada? For example, would passengers from Calgary usually go through Toronto or would some go through Halifax? Is Halifax becoming a secondary hub for such flights south during the winter time?

Geographically, international flights from Halifax on smaller jets (newer generation 737's and Airbus 320's) across the Atlantic makes sense. Flights from Calgary could use fuel efficient 737's, re-fuel and broad passengers in Halifax and continue on the same jet across the Atlantic. I wonder if the regular Westjet 737-700's (not extended range 737's that require additional fuel capacity) could make it to France? Such planes could use smaller international airports that aren't as crowded as the major airports.
A lot of 'sun' travellers from out west would fly directly to their destinations (would not come to Atlantic Canada); there are a number of sun flights from Atlantic area that involve going to Toronto (sometimes overnight) and then heading south. Hard to get those folks from out west to fly here on their way south.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby074 View Post
A 737 to Europe....

Not sure if want.
I agree - just because the plane can do the range; doesn't mean it should! The benefit (to me) in having the wide body aircraft is that you can get up, walk around and stretch. You have two isles, you can walk up one and down the other and back.

A narrow body plane like a 737 from Halifax to Europe (depending on the location) might be okay...obviously the 757 has been doing it for years. But it all depends on the configuration and comfort of the seats. I find westjet seats very uncomfortable and can only sit in the isle seats because the bulkheads on 737 aren't as wide. So I doubt I'd feel very comfy for 5+ hours doing that flight!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 1:59 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I agree - just because the plane can do the range; doesn't mean it should! The benefit (to me) in having the wide body aircraft is that you can get up, walk around and stretch. You have two isles, you can walk up one and down the other and back.

A narrow body plane like a 737 from Halifax to Europe (depending on the location) might be okay...obviously the 757 has been doing it for years. But it all depends on the configuration and comfort of the seats. I find westjet seats very uncomfortable and can only sit in the isle seats because the bulkheads on 737 aren't as wide. So I doubt I'd feel very comfy for 5+ hours doing that flight!
One appealing benefit to a 737-700 narrow body jet would be a cheaper flight. Porter Airlines can even make money flying people around on turbojets because of competitive pricing.

People have their own preferences but for me, I actually would prefer a modern 737 over a crowded wide body jet. I prefer not to be stuck on a jet with 250 - 300 other passengers and the additional time getting on and off the jet. Also, on a 737 there is more chance of getting a window seat than on a wide body jet.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post

My thoughts exactly.

737 to Europe makes me think Cattle Car.. Just wait till Ryan Air finally gets laws changed and implements their stand up seating concept!! Its screams comfort Yup its a thing. How'd ya like taking that to Europe ? (yes I know its intended for short hops, but you know airlines! Give em an inch and they'll take a mile if they can make a buck *cough*checked baggage charges*cough*)

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 1:28 AM
Honored Member

Although this won't be an eye catching project it is a significant expenditure for the Halifax airport and Aerotech park:

(source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...rade-1.2873308)
Halifax Aerotech waste water treatment plant to get $21M upgrade
Ottawa, Nova Scotia and Halifax will share costs equally

"This allows us into the future, have capacity to deal with our increasing passenger volumes and expansion of our terminal and also allows us to develop the ground side of the airport to provide services to the travelling public and to the 5,700 staff that work at the airport."

"The Aerotech plant will be able to accommodate future development at Stanfield Airport and the Aerotech park," says Nova Scotia federal cabinet Minister Peter MacKay.

MacKay says the upgrade will position Stanfield to take advantage of a new Canada-European Union Free Trade Agreement.

Halifax Mayor Mike Savage says the project was one of the city's highest priorities under the Build Canada Infrastructure program.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 1:33 PM

There's effectively been a moratorium on new development at Aerotech as a result of the limitations on the wastewater system so, when this upgrade is complete at the end of 2016, it should open up a lot more land for development.

The mayor was asked at yesterday's announcement if this could mean residential development in that area. He said there are no plans but the expanded wasterwater plant could support that in future.

Of course the airport authroity has made it clear it doesn't want a lot of residential development near the airport as that could ultimately restrict the airport's operating hours.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
There's effectively been a moratorium on new development at Aerotech as a result of the limitations on the wastewater system so, when this upgrade is complete at the end of 2016, it should open up a lot more land for development.

The mayor was asked at yesterday's announcement if this could mean residential development in that area. He said there are no plans but the expanded wasterwater plant could support that in future.

Of course the airport authroity has made it clear it doesn't want a lot of residential development near the airport as that could ultimately restrict the airport's operating hours.
There was a planning application some time ago that was for the application of NEF (Noise exposure forecast) contours off the runways to create something similar to Calgary's Airport Vicinity regulations. I'm not sure if that passed, but if it does - residential wouldn't be allowed in some of the NEF areas close to the airport.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Although this won't be an eye catching project it is a significant expenditure for the Halifax airport and Aerotech park:

(source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...rade-1.2873308)
Halifax Aerotech waste water treatment plant to get $21M upgrade
Ottawa, Nova Scotia and Halifax will share costs equally

"This allows us into the future, have capacity to deal with our increasing passenger volumes and expansion of our terminal and also allows us to develop the ground side of the airport to provide services to the travelling public and to the 5,700 staff that work at the airport."

"The Aerotech plant will be able to accommodate future development at Stanfield Airport and the Aerotech park," says Nova Scotia federal cabinet Minister Peter MacKay.

MacKay says the upgrade will position Stanfield to take advantage of a new Canada-European Union Free Trade Agreement.

Halifax Mayor Mike Savage says the project was one of the city's highest priorities under the Build Canada Infrastructure program.

Yates of Halifax Water was on the news last night saying that their $7 million share of the cost would be added to the general rate and would result in 1%-2% overall rate increase.

I was surprised there was no questioning of this. Why should a homeowner in, say, Herring Cove (or most anywhere else), pay for this? It is of no benefit whatsoever to them. In this case it is to enable industrial development in a business park. It is no different than a developer being required to pay the cost of water and sewer infrastructure when doing a new subdivision. How does this make any sense?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 11:56 PM

The largest single increase of service for WestJet in Halifax. Westjet and Westjet Encore will have up to 20 daily flights from YHZ.

Route ----------------------------Frequency------------Dates
Halifax – Glasgow------------------1x daily-------Starting May 29, 2015
Halifax – Deer Lake / Corner Brook--1x daily-------Starting July 15, 2015
Halifax – Sydney, N.S.-------------1x daily-------Starting July 15, 2015
Halifax – Ottawa------------------Now 2x daily---Starting July 15, 2015
Halifax – St. John's----------------Now 3x daily---Starting July 15, 2015
Halifax – Toronto------------------Now 6x daily---Starting May 30, 2015

http://hiaa.ca/2015/01/westjet-encor...fax-stanfield/

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/deal....shtml#halifax

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 12:02 AM

Never been a fan of WJ, always had horrible service with them every time I fly (just luck I guess). But good to see they are building up out of Halifax. Sad that they downgauged the aircraft between YHZ-YYT to a Q400 though but the increase between Halifax and Ottawa is good. Surprised still no YUL route though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure