HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 3:44 AM

Toronto: Around Toronto. Including the fake downtown for Coldayman

I had to go to a number of library branches today to get books for a project. Turns out that all the books I needed were already taken out of the North York Central Library. So come on a quick little ride around Toronto for some books.

North York City Centre. Toronto's uptown area. Check out the pedestrian activity. Hard to believe this was once a strip mall area, and the heart of suburbia.

The North York Central Library. The largest library in Toronto, which allows you take out books. Over 540,000 items and books. Small compared to the downtown Toronto Reference Library, which has over 1.6 million items. But you can't take books out there.

Finch Ave West, just east of Jane Street. The high-rises in the distance are at Jane and Finch, Toronto's worse ghetto. Yes I am standing in dangerous territory. Many Toronto people would not even stand where I took this pic out of fear for their safety.

Eglinton Ave East in the Yonge & Eglinton area of Toronto. Toronto's midtown area.

This is for COLDAYMAN The Shops at Don Mills. This used to be a little neighbourhood mall. Now it has been turned into Toronto's first lifestyle centre. This one is for you Coldayman. Toronto's own little tiny version of Easton Town Centre.
Why would I want to stroll in here, when the real downtwon is only 10 minutes away? I really don't know what to think of this development. A lot of locals do not like it, as almost all the neighbourhood shops were kicked out and replaced with high end destination retail. Again why did this area need to be a destination, when downtown destination shopping is only minutes away. It really does not fit in with the neighbourhood, although there was lots of yuppie moms getting "tea" and strolling around with their babies.

The skyline looking north up Don Mills Road from York Mills Road, while waiting for my bus.

Classic suburban Toronto. Single family homes, with high-rises mixed in Next stop Valley Woods Road. Sorry I am so used to the bus saying that after it departs Don Mills Road.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 8:04 AM

Nice tour. Today was a perfect day, I hear it was 1 degree cooler in Toronto than it was in Miami without a single cloud in the sky.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 11:39 AM
Motor City Mountaineer

I love Toronto. So much diversity, class all mixed into a mosaic. Thanks for the great pics.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the pics.

That second picture of the new Don Mills shops looks like a 1964 version of the retail future.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/...cb6dc245_b.jpg

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 2:25 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

That is no Easton. That's just trash.

But you presented it well.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 5:25 PM
gettin' rich!

Vaaaaaaaaaaaallleeeeeeeeeey WooooooooooooDs!!

yay baby!!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 10:56 PM
sick transit, gloria

Nice pics Mike!

Strangely enough I have been on almost every stretch of pavement in this tour. Mostly for work but I great times walking down that stretch of Finch to the mall with my friend who lived on York campus, most memorably during a blizzard to get beer and movies from the plaza at Jane and Finch. And that intersection has got nothing on Eglinton and Keele...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 4:22 AM
DownTowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
That is no Easton. That's just trash.

But you presented it well.
What are you talking about? Easton is a fake PO MO piece of crap, not unlike Town Center Plaza in suburban Kansas City (Leawood). Sad indeed.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 2:10 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

But it is THE fake PoMo piece of crap. Not a carbon copy!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 7:18 PM
Kiev > Toronto > Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
Finch Ave West, just east of Jane Street. The high-rises in the distance are at Jane and Finch, Toronto's worse ghetto. Yes I am standing in dangerous territory. Many Toronto people would not even stand where I took this pic out of fear for their safety.
Hahahahaha, that is very funny

I assume you were sarcastic, because there are 10000x worse areas, like in Chicago, NYC and LA right now. Even in Montreal. Cops here are real trigger happy, there are numerous occasions where they shoot & kill people.. There's a reason why there are annual police brutality protests here

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos