HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 8:45 PM
Chicago

108 North Jefferson

October 7, 2015

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 11:44 PM
The City

Count me in as someone who likes the Halsted Division project. Stacked uses, holds the Halsted street edge, and although there is a parking lot at the corner that can easily make way for future development. Build it!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Count me in as someone who likes the Halsted Division project. Stacked uses, holds the Halsted street edge, and although there is a parking lot at the corner that can easily make way for future development. Build it!
The stacked uses is one reason why there should be no outdoor surface parking.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
As Mr Downtown pointed out, the parking is where the Kingsbury Street right of way is. Maybe they are not allowed to build anything on it due to utilitiy easements or some such thing. If that's the case, perhaps it would be nicer if it could be a park or a bikeway or something, but basically since it connects at the south in addition to the west, it seems they are coming fairly close to turning it back into a street - only with perpendicular parking on one side and parallel parking on the other, instead of parallel parking on both. Would definitely be better if the sidewalk connected all the way through though.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
The Bridges - Division & Halsted
Retail & hotel development...
I appreciate that they're at least building a bit higher than the last proposal for that site (although I can't say I see that as an ideal location for a hotel, and it seems a bit close to New City for another movie theater).

And I understand that the old Kingsbury ROW makes it difficult to really occupy the corner.

But still, this is disappointing.

I wonder if, in an ideal world, something could be cantilevered over the corner... I'm imagining the lot built out to it's edges, with a high ceilinged pedestrian arcade running up the old Kingsbury ROW. And on the 2nd floor, the theaters could actually by over the Kingsbury ROW, with a nice glassy lobby overlooking the corner to draw people in. Then you can have the theater roofs as amenity space while building any towers to their sides where you can be freer with column placement.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 1:38 AM

Division and Halsted is wretched AF! There literally needs to be a city ordinance that bans this type of filth; just not sure how exactly one would work the language constructively to translate the offensiveness of this into words. I'd prefer a safe house for drug addicts at this location over the proposal. At least those bums would be walking. Inexcusable for this location.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 2:49 AM
BANNED

"No surface parking allowed"

"Zero lot line setback for X% of the project"

Lots of ways to do it in a urban context.

That looks like total shit.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 5:18 AM
TL;DR

I really don't understand the vitriol. This thing looks pretty cool and dynamic.

Unfortunately the brick 4-story warehouse along Division is toast. Heneghan crews out there this week "making space".

GK's earlier proposal included the warehouse lot, but now they're not showing it except as a vague ghost parking lot. Maybe they fell out of contract on the parcel or something.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 9:58 AM
BANNED

AND we lose a cool old warehouse for surface parking? Youch...I'm no preservationist but this is just bad planning for the context.

Agreed that the building itself is fine, it's the site plan that is garbage.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 2:01 PM

This project is also going to do a brilliant job of effing up the bike lane on halsted and screwing up a super congested intersection even more... serioulsy wtf dont they add a left turn arrow to halsted? Theres a lane for it but its blocked off or something

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 2:10 PM

I actually think this is quite appropriate for the location. I mean it's a twelve story building wedged between a power station, empty lots, and an island of warehouses. What do you expect? Of course it's going to be oriented more toward cars. And those parking spaces can always be built over when the area gets more density and has more foot traffic.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 2:31 PM
you know where I'll be

Hotel Proposed for 1101 S. Wabash

Has this one been mentioned here yet? Blog Sloopin is reporting that there is a proposal for a 29 story hotel (Hilton flag/flags) at 1101 S. Wabash (NE corner of Wabash/11th), site of a current small garage.....

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
GK's earlier proposal included the warehouse lot, but now they're not showing it except as a vague ghost parking lot. Maybe they fell out of contract on the parcel or something.
This is what I suspect. Also the earlier plans kept the Kingsbury ROW vacant except for parking as well so I'm not sure the complaints about the lot are really all that relevant since there is certainly some reason it is being kept that way.

Given the shitty strip mall developments that still keep popping up elsewhere in the city (even a few blocks from this) I think the design is a significant upgrade from what could have been.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 3:04 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
AND we lose a cool old warehouse for surface parking? Youch...I'm no preservationist but this is just bad planning for the context.

Agreed that the building itself is fine, it's the site plan that is garbage.
I'm still not sure that the warehouse is part of GK's The Bridges project.

The owner of the warehouse (Scott Sonoc) had his architecture firm offices in the building long ago, and he has been trying to shop that warehouse parcel to developers for ages. Sonoc is still the owner of record, or more accurately an entity controlled by him, so the property hasn't changed hands. Now that parcel has been deleted from the site plans for GK's development.

I guess we'll have to wait and see... I certainly hope it gets developed separately as a more traditional mixed use. That warehouse was a nice bit of historic character but tricky to reuse... Small window openings, and the first floor was elevated above grade so terrible for retail.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 4:25 PM
MPLSXCHI

Rauner wants the Thompson center demolished. Will have a press conference later today. According to crains.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post

I actually think this is quite appropriate for the location. I mean it's a twelve story building wedged between a power station, empty lots, and an island of warehouses. What do you expect? Of course it's going to be oriented more toward cars. And those parking spaces can always be built over when the area gets more density and has more foot traffic.
Could not agree more. This area is not a friendly pedestrian experience, so it makes sense to cater to drivers. Once the area fills in more, there is space for redevelopment, but we should be thankful anyone wants to put anything there.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 4:48 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Rauner wants the Thompson center demolished. Will have a press conference later today. According to crains.
this article says he merely wants to sell it.

Quote:
Rauner looking to sell Thompson Center
Monique Garcia and Rick Pearson
Chicago Tribune

Gov. Bruce Rauner on Tuesday announced plans to sell the aging James R. Thompson Center in the Loop.

The 17-story building was designed by Helmut Jahn and opened in 1985 well over expected cost. It has proven costly and inefficient to maintain.

Rauner made the announcement during a late morning news conference inside the glass-walled government building at the corner of Clark and Randolph streets, according to an aide. The plan would require legislative approval.
full article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...013-story.html

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Isn't it established that some drivers prefer surface lots? Though it deserves push back, that fact may be at work here. At least the parking structure is stacked in-line as opposed to a separate structure. I don't find much to like in the majority of large, parking-oriented retail projects (am not certain there is really good model for these in dense urban areas), but I see the stacked parking as a step in the right direction (maybe others disagree). I do hope anything built there will create demand for the warehouse.

Last edited by VKChaz; Oct 13, 2015 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
this article says he merely wants to sell it.

full article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...013-story.html
im pretty fine with this. if they have available office space elsewhere dont see why we as a state need this as well. while i realize the building has/had design flaws, they were also pretty horrendous owners in regards to upkeep

im curious how many people would want to buy a building as notorious as this one though, given all the unusable space, rehab work needed, and inefficient heating/cooling, as well as noise from the lobby.

in another era i would say a mall is maybe the best use of it, but i think it would be pretty hard to line up that many tenants.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebirch View Post
Could not agree more. This area is not a friendly pedestrian experience, so it makes sense to cater to drivers. Once the area fills in more, there is space for redevelopment, but we should be thankful anyone wants to put anything there.
This is a pretty backwards rationale that lacks foresight. If planning and development always only accommodated current conditions, you would never see any progress.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations