HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin242 View Post
If this is anything like green which I personally believe it is then none of this is going to happen. Just a whole lotta somethin else.
Do you mean to say that most of it will change or do you mean that none of this will happen at all?

If you mean that most of it will change just like Greenwater Treatment Plant well then I think its good news, because the first green proposals were hideous and looked very much like a sims city design. What is going on now with the designs are much better even if the heights were shortened. If the Waller Creek designs change just like the Greenwater, then its gonna be a whole lot something else but much better. If that's what you're comparing, of course.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 2:05 AM

Most of it will change. It will all probably be better and more thought out.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Most of it will change. It will all probably be better and more thought out.
I just hope that it doesn't get delayed... Austin needs something real and legit already. F1 is right around the corner and Marriott is underway, but damn... there just needs to be that cherry on the top. Something that says bam motherbitch! Hell yes.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 4:03 AM

The Austin CultureMap website had what seemed like the best breakdown of this projects and proposals. They had a feature that listed the top 5 components of each design. Their analysis included information about the retractable pontoon bridge. I am a rower too; that's why I was so struck by such a ridiculous idea.

http://austin.culturemap.com/newsdet...-waller-creek/

Of all the projects, I definitely liked the CMG and Public Architecture team. They had a real bridge (with rail) and had a very urban design. I am supportive of the path that the current winners are taking (except for the bridge). However, let's be clear: these designs were for winning a contest. Now begins the hard work of making a feasible and executable plan. There will be many changes, just like with Green. Remember, there is no very little money allocated as of yet for all these changes.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Where are you guys hearing/reading that this will be a movable pontoon bridge?
Kevin, go here for the diagram and then click to zoom in. I think it's that bridge on the north side of Lady Bird Lake between that peninsula to the west and the MACC (?) to the east. Looks like it might be intended to make a swing to the southwest to connect to the boardwalk on the south side of the lake.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 7:11 PM

A pontoon bridge will also be unusable during floods and large water releases from other Colorado River lakes (which will eventually happen again).

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 7:37 PM

I took a picture yesterday of the crane base at the Skyhouse site. I'll see if I can crop it because the picture turned out dark and really can't see anything. This week I will be downtown again for a movie that I'm doing.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 7:39 PM

I started filming last night at the park, I have to say that is one of the best locations for filming the skyline.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 5:53 PM

I facebook Ace Hotels and got a responds back saying " We do love Austin-- it would be awesome to have a hotel there one day!"

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 7:36 PM
Meh

^They told me they don't have any concrete plans, but that they are very interested in entering the market. She even asked if I had any opportunities they might be interested in. Ha!

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 4:41 AM
Meh

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne....html?page=all
Quote:
Austin to plan for coming decades in development code revision

Austin Business Journal by Robert Grattan, Staff Writer
Date: Thursday, October 25, 2012, 2:19pm CDT

Robert Grattan
Staff Writer- Austin Business Journal

The Austin City Council has begun a two-year process that will reshape Austin's aging land-use code and replace it with a more accessible set of ordinances designed to carry the city into the future envisioned by the Imagine Austin plan.

The revision will be led by a steering committee of city staff, City Council-appointed stakeholders and an outside consultant. The city has a $2 million budget for the consultant, and plans to submit a request for quotation in the coming weeks, said George Adams, the city's assistant planning director.

Once a consultant is on board, the city will solicit input from developers, business owners, citizens and community groups. By March 2014, city staff expects to have an outline and preliminary draft completed. The process is expected to result in a new code by September 2015.
-

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl....html?page=all
Quote:
Downtown Austin: A new river will run through it

Austin Business Journal by Jan Buchholz, Staff Writer
Date: Thursday, October 25, 2012, 9:12pm CDT

Jan Buchholz

As a newcomer to the Austin area, it was hard for me to envision a series of parks connected seamlessly along the eastern edge of downtown Austin in an area known as Waller Creek. Though I’ve driven I-35 numerous times — and Red River Street, too — and navigated my way around downtown, somehow I’ve never quite sensed that there is a creek that meanders from the University of Texas south about 1.5 miles to Lady Bird Lake.

From what I can tell, there are quite a few people who didn’t know that Waller Creek exists. For much of the time, it’s a dry creek bed, but bring a little rain and Waller Creek roars with destructive force that over history has killed a dozen or so people. I guess there really is a creek there.

Now a mile-long, $146.5 million flood control tunnel is under construction to mitigate those destructive forces.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 1:35 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...wnbouti/nSpgr/
Quote:
Posted: 4:40 p.m. Friday, Oct. 26, 2012
Hotel ZaZa, luxury apartments planned downtown
Boutique hotel brand set to check in to Austin

By Shonda Novak
American-Statesman Staff

Plans are in the works for a 24-story tower in downtown Austin that would have 215 luxury apartments atop a 160-room Hotel ZaZa, which would mark the upscale boutique hotel’s Central Texas debut.

Executives with Gables Residential and Hotel ZaZa told the American-Statesman that their project would be built on West Fourth Street between Guadalupe and Lavaca streets. Pending a requested zoning change, they hope to start construction in mid- to late-2013, with the project expected to debut in early to mid-2015. Developers did not release information on an estimated pricetag for the project or financing details.

The half-block site, which is just under an acre, is now used for parking. It once housed the Ginger Man pub, which has since relocated, and the Fox & Hound tavern.

Chas Schreiber & Ziegler Cooper

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Looks nice, so it looked like Gables backed out on there plan on building an apartment tower on that site.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 3:43 AM
Meh

It'll still have apartments - 215 of them on top of 160 hotel rooms.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 5:32 AM

Isn't that the exact same design that they had years ago.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 6:02 AM
Meh

This is the hotel at 800-804 Congress (8th & Congress).

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/pr...ity-counc.html
Quote:
Controversial Austin hotel heads to City Council
Developer: This will fit well on Congress

Date: Friday, October 26, 2012, 5:00am CDT - Last Modified: Thursday, October 25, 2012, 8:46pm CDT

Robert Grattan

Austin’s Planning Commission endorsed a 30-story, $90 million hotel project on Congress Avenue — but withheld its recommendation for construction as proposed — after a protracted discussion that pit some of the city’s biggest landowners against each other.

The proposed building would add a four-star hotel with 210 rooms, a 5,900-square-foot restaurant, 41,300 square feet of office space and a music venue to 800 and 804 Congress Ave., said project developer David Kahn of Gone to Texas Capital One LP.

-

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/pr...h-century.html
Quote:
Parking in downtown Austin? That's so 20th century
Austin may nix parking requirements

Date: Friday, October 26, 2012, 5:00am CDT - Last Modified: Thursday, October 25, 2012, 8:43pm CDT

Robert Grattan

Austin officials may eliminate rules that require developers to include a minimum number of parking spaces when a new building goes up downtown.

The long-term goal is not only to reduce the cost of building downtown, but also to nudge Austinites down a path toward more pedestrian-friendly communities and to encourage sustainable commutes downtown via public transit.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 7:36 AM

Whoa, whoa, guys. Slow down. I need time to process all of this (awesome) information.

So, it looks like that Hotel Zaza won't be very charming from the outside. It seems as though all of their hotels leave much to be desired in the looks department and it's hard to tell anything from that rendering. I hope we're not just getting another bland-looking hotel. We've already got plenty of those.

This other hotel is one of my favorites, though. I'm not a big fan of the step-back, but it's a cool-looking building and will include a live music venue, which is different. I can't read the article because I don't have a subscription. But what are the chances of the City Council approving this?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 7:55 AM

Here's a better, closer image of the front.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Isn't that the exact same design that they had years ago.
Sort of, except the original design was for apartments only and was 16 floors.

see

Gables Republic Park

at Ziegler Cooper Architect's website for the old rendering.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 3:23 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

I think there's got to be something good, urbanistically, about skinny buildings that mix with historic buildings rather than ones that take up entire blocks with parking garages...

But City Council probably just cares about aesthetics and if its new and different that scares the little old ladies and grandpas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations