HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
But in this specific corner of the city, the auto traffic is already vastly more than what the infrastructure can handle.
Given the existing conditions in the area, I think planners should work to reduce parking in new developments to a bare minimum. Residential developments, yes, but especially retail.
I think that makes some sense. At some point, an area simply cannot support any more cars and new developments shouldn't encourage them.

But I also think there is an important distinction between owning a car and driving one. Many own but do not need to drive frequently. I have always liked the idea of making more parking available in centralized, shared garages while reducing what is available on site (usually in parking podiums). This would accommodate those who own a car but only need storage for the occasional drives while deterring routine, short drives in the neighborhood (given the added hurdle of needing to remove the car from a shared parking location which in most cases would be less convenient than on-site parking).

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 10:04 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
Damn they are moving fast, the restaurant closed yesterday.

Indeed, and should be pointed out not at all out of character with the impressive speed at which JDL has been successively launching and executing projects throughout this cycle - since 1225 Old Town (JV w Hines). They've been a machine.....almost like a completely different company sine the Great Recession (and, as I always like to point out as well - the architecture of their developments is on the whole vastly improved as well (thank you as well here, HPA!).....

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 12:32 AM
Chicago

1333 South Wabash

October 6, 2015

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 2:30 AM

Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but there's a lot of broken/expired image links on page one for image hosting sites.

Also, I've never been able to get the Phorio links to work. Is it me, or do they usually lead to nowhere?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 2:34 AM

All images are displaying properly for me.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 2:38 AM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but there's a lot of broken/expired image links on page one for image hosting sites.

Also, I've never been able to get the Phorio links to work. Is it me, or do they usually lead to nowhere?
Same for me

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 3:33 AM

Images are not showing up for me either. I was looking at the first page a few days and they were all there

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 5:50 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Also, and finally, (and Near North Resident is going to go gaga over this one): 10% of the units in this tower are for CHA residents, which I found interesting. (was this a city land sale for this project?).........also, additional equivalent of 20% of units for affordable housing to be located offsite........
Not a city land sale. 10% CHA is an requirement for any new project in the Cabrini footprint, regardless of who owns/owned the land.

The Cabrini consent decree from 2000 requires the city to compel private developers to provide CHA housing in the Cabrini footprint, regardless of whether the specific parcel was ever used for public housing.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
TOD only means having dense development around mass transit access, so that people have options other than driving and don't have to drive. It doesn't mean they can't own a car.
It looks to me to be a self limiting problem. Who is going to get in their car for most trips and then go sit in a traffic jam when they can walk / take mass transit and get there faster? With all the retail right there, how much do they really need to drive?
But if the cars are used only rarely, to get to locations not served by mass transit, is it really a big deal?
It's a bit different for homeowners in a condo vs renters in a big rental building. If you own a condo with a parking space you may or may not have a car to fill that space If you have a car, you may not use it much. Mentally, you've paid for your condo and it came with a space or two and you probably don't think about the cost of that spot very much.

For rental buildings, they're going to make sure they rent out every parking space to maximize income. If there are 100 space, they'll rent out 100. If there are 500, they will rent out all 500 space. And as renters (near transit hubs), if there are 100 spaces, there will be 100 cars and the other 400 units will be filled with people who don't want to have cars. (the ones who do want to have cars will find another building to rent in or neighborhood) If you build 500 parking space, you'll have 500 cars with 500 people who want to have cars and far fewer people who don't have cars.

Even worse is that as a renter, you're thinking, I'm paying $200 or $250 a month for parking, I'm going to make the most of using my car. Back in the day, my old roommate was going to U. Chicago for b-school (we lived in the South Loop before all the new construction). He originally was going to take the metra electric down. The building offered his first 3 months of parking free, so he was like cool, I'll do that and bring a car. Then once the $150 / month parking kicked in was like, I should use my car more and drove to Hyde Park etc. as often as not. Renters without cars also great for a neighborhood because they're somewhat captive audiences and will frequent shops within walking distance (or along the L line they are on.)

Often times the developers would be willing to build far less parking than is demanded / requested. (the new developments in the South Loop originally had less parking and increased it a bit from neighborhood pressure. [hoping we can pressure them back down... many of the loud complainers don't understand how more parking = more cars = more traffic. They think housing without parking is crazy, where will all the orphan cars be parked? Many don't realize that there are people who can afford to, but choose to not own a car.)

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 1:17 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post

Yeah, I noticed that last night - been too busy with work/life, but will update this weekend.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 1:26 PM

FYI, saw cassion sleeves and bits being delivered to that little skyscraper hotel at 118 E Erie yesterday. Looks like that one is under construction.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 3:27 PM

So talking about Skyscrapers and not parking chatter... check out the HoJo tower site today, they are building the tower crane! Very cool!!!

Try and keep your eyes away from that awful 707 n wells next door though, they made it even uglier somehow with the paint of the podium in brick red... blech

didn't get a chance to take a picture as I was riding to work but still super cool

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
So talking about Skyscrapers and not parking chatter... check out the HoJo tower site today, they are building the tower crane! Very cool!!!
I noticed that today as well.

Also, some big yellow climbing forms have been added to "Next" at NoNo-WeeWee. I assume that means the podium construction is finished and the tower portion is underway. It should really take off quickly now.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
FYI, saw cassion sleeves and bits being delivered to that little skyscraper hotel at 118 E Erie yesterday. Looks like that one is under construction.
118 E. Erie is the Ritz-Carlton building.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 5:25 PM
The City

^ Perhaps he meant Ontario?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 5:27 PM
you know where I'll be

^ ^^ It's the ECD Co/Jackie Koo project, right?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 5:28 PM
you know where I'll be

Sinclair and New Jewel

Anybody been by this site this week yet? Is demo on the old Jewel underway yet??

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 5:53 PM

^I live a couple blocks from jewel and see it every morning on the way to work. I'm seeing equipment being stored in the old parking lot for the red line project, and it looks look like a lot of the interior of Jewel has been gutted, but beyond that, no visible demo of the outside at this time.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 7:03 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Thanks. Wonder why there's Red Line project equipment still there......I thought that job was 100%-wrapped, no? Or is it for something other than the station work itself?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 10:59 PM

I think it was for the maintenance/replacing of Division into Lasalle. They have been working on that for a while now.

Some other Gold Coast updates from today
4 E Elm. Shaping up nicely. Even the base isn't as offensive as I originally thought.

Last edited by J_M_Tungsten; Oct 7, 2015 at 11:14 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations